zombie apocalypse internet and cell phones

willsamuels
11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Well technically... While zombies, the kind we see in movies and games are most likely impossible right now, there are parasites out there that can "take over" a host, like the one in The Last of Us, it's a real fungus.

All it needs is a crazy person to make a new and improved version of it, to make it infect humans. But then again, more than likely will not happen in our lifetime... hopefully anyway.

And this is why I avoid eating mushrooms.

Don't care what you tell me, don't care about the science around it, I just don't take chances by eating any fungi. Someone F's up and you get the wrong thing? You're fucking dead. Horribly. And there's very little that can be done to save you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Assuming a zombie outbreak I would wager that electrocity plants would still operate without human interaction for a while (also assuming no critical faults pop up). Telecommunication would also work sans operator within the same margin of reason (no critical faults, existing power).

In theory once a critical fault happens within a pixie wrangling station, it should shut itself down to avoid a disaster (if it doesn't, electrocity is the LEAST of your worries within the area of the plant).

Remember:

49879_md-Copyright%20Thw,%20Poster,%20Tw

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

11 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Assuming a zombie outbreak I would wager that electrocity plants would still operate without human interaction for a while (also assuming no critical faults pop up). Telecommunication would also work sans operator within the same margin of reason (no critical faults, existing power).

In theory once a critical fault happens within a pixie wrangling station, it should shut itself down to avoid a disaster (if it doesn't, electrocity is the LEAST of your worries within the area of the plant).

Remember:

The real problem starts once cooling ponds in NPP's start running dry, which they will eventually.

For anyone who doesn't know, Nuclear Power Plants have cooling ponds that fuel assemblies sit in for a few years to cool down before being transferred to containers for "dry" storage. Eventually these ponds will run dry if not maintained by people. The pumps that refill the pool will fail, etc.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

The real problem starts once cooling ponds in NPP's start running dry, which they will eventually.

For anyone who doesn't know, Nuclear Power Plants have cooling ponds that fuel assemblies sit in for a few years to cool down before being transferred to containers for "dry" storage. Eventually these ponds will run dry if not maintained by people. The pumps that refill the pool will fail, etc.

That depends from country to country.

In Romania we only have one NPP (I think they just shut down one of the reactors, leaving it with either one or two of them working and connected to the grid) which is cooled by a river (potential smart idea).

Other countries don't rely on NPPs (I think some nordic country is 100% green energy), but each type of pixie wrangling station has its needs. Solar pixie accumulators need maintenance and alignment, wind pixie farms need regular maintenance and so on.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

57 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

That depends from country to country.

In Romania we only have one NPP (I think they just shut down one of the reactors, leaving it with either one or two of them working and connected to the grid) which is cooled by a river (potential smart idea).

Other countries don't rely on NPPs (I think some nordic country is 100% green energy), but each type of pixie wrangling station has its needs. Solar pixie accumulators need maintenance and alignment, wind pixie farms need regular maintenance and so on.

I was thinking of the Chernobyl like effect that will result from these cooling ponds going dry. Eventually the fuel will melt or at least burn, and when it does, the radiation will spread over hundreds of miles

20 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I was thinking of the Chernobyl like effect that will result from these cooling ponds going dry. Eventually the fuel will melt or at least burn, and when it does, the radiation will spread over hundreds of miles

Assuming it's just the radiation. Meltdown would most likely result in a nuclear blast and if we're talking multiple-reactor plants there's gonna be a helluva hole. Not to mention the radiation could have negative affects on a global scale. Would kill a large chunk of the zombies though

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Taking into account what we know about zombies from media, the safest place to gather large(r) masses of people would be at sea, though that brings its own suite of problems.

A well-stocked cruise liner that is not encumbered should, at least in theory, essentially be enough to form a mid-sized community. If said cruise ship is retrofitted for fishing and hydroponics, alongside a nuclear reactor (think nuclear submarines), it could possibly be self-sufficient enough to give humanity at least some time to find a way to combat the outbreak.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

13 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, that lovely fungus.  :P   Let not forget the parasites that make mice go towards cats.  Also, if I remember right there is another parasite that targets bugs and make them go up to a high point and be eaten by birds (can't remember the name).

Are you talking about the one which grows in ants brains and makes go to the top of trees in order to spread it's pollen to infect even more??? if so it's Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, but I don't think they have anything to do with birds though

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fungus-makes-zombie-ants/

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

5 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Assuming it's just the radiation. Meltdown would most likely result in a nuclear blast and if we're talking multiple-reactor plants there's gonna be a helluva hole. Not to mention the radiation could have negative affects on a global scale. Would kill a large chunk of the zombies though

AFAIK a meltdown doesn't lead to an actual nuclear detonation. That requires high explosives going off in a ridiculously symmetrical way (to the extent that they have to use special wires for each block of high explosives to control the timing).

It would lead to a China Syndrome at most. Molten corium (the term for the material made from a melted core) burns into the ground until it hits the water table.

Then, supposedly, you get a steam explosion that "fractures the earth for miles around, along with geysers of radioactive steam in those same areas". I don't know how they know that that's what happens, I've looked but never found any testing or simulations to prove or verify the "China Syndrome" effect. I'd be interested in reading it if anyone can find a report on the matter.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:41 PM, yathis said:

Zombie are not possible. So internet in an imaginary world is impossible.

And if they were, drive to the nearest guard armory, steal a tank or humvee, drive over all the gurgling monsters, establish a secure base near a government facility where they keep nukes, then take your sweet time to hack the systems (there's no one left to stop you), and then leave for a nice island, clear it of all the infected, then nuke every other large continent, and hide underground until the fallout subsides. Then slowly rebuild humanity on those islands, and in a about 10,000 years, you can repopulate the continents. Or just drive around in a tank and don't mind the zombies, just wait for them all to decompose. That'd take less time than waiting for the radiation levels to go down. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

And this is why I avoid eating mushrooms.

Don't care what you tell me, don't care about the science around it, I just don't take chances by eating any fungi. Someone F's up and you get the wrong thing? You're f****** dead. Horribly. And there's very little that can be done to save you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Yup. Like the "Angel of Death" mushroom. Looks like a normal white mushroom you'd get from the supermarket, but it's deadly poisonous and there's no antidote. That's why only pros collect wild mushrooms, since it takes ages to learn what is tasty and what will make you suffer in extreme pain and die miserably. Best bet is to get food from a reputable store, end leaving wild mushroom foraging to idiots or proffesianals. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 21/7/2017 at 7:07 PM, willsamuels said:

in the zombie apocalypse would it be possible to get the internet or cell phone working at all

i was thinking yes by the way i do want actual info because im writing a zombie book 

and im doing some research on tech because i want the book to seem normal so want tech to work

so the twist is that you dont know that the people are in the zombie apocalypse 

Don't you think with communications up people would catch a hint that the zombie apocalypse was happening? As for whether it's possible or not, if ISPs are shut down anything using their infrastructure will go offline. If they keep operating (what kind of apocalypse would that be though?) then stuff would work.

If you're wondering whether you could still communicate via radio, well yes... just not with the massive resource that is the internet on it, and everyone would have to agree to use the new system and adapt their devices.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

Are you talking about the one which grows in ants brains and makes go to the top of trees in order to spread it's pollen to infect even more??? if so it's Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, but I don't think they have anything to do with birds though

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fungus-makes-zombie-ants/

O there is that one, but I think there is another.  Not sure though.  Might look around if I have the time.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

And if they were, drive to the nearest guard armory, steal a tank or humvee, drive over all the gurgling monsters, establish a secure base near a government facility where they keep nukes, then take your sweet time to hack the systems (there's no one left to stop you), and then leave for a nice island, clear it of all the infected, then nuke every other large continent, and hide underground until the fallout subsides. Then slowly rebuild humanity on those islands, and in a about 10,000 years, you can repopulate the continents. Or just drive around in a tank and don't mind the zombies, just wait for them all to decompose. That'd take less time than waiting for the radiation levels to go down. 

Probably have to be one hell of a hacker.  I am not versed on systems controlling nukes, but the few systems I work on will dump configs or zeroize if to many incorrect tries occur.  Once that occurs, you ain't going to get the system do anything unless said individual is versed in how such systems are to be loaded and brought back up correctly.  I would think nuclear war systems would have even several layers to keep unauthorized access to the systems.  Also, the peeps working there, if they follow procedure, most likely would do a full destruction to the battle systems if someone was trying to take control.  At least I think they have procedure like that.  Considering, I get enough power slides and peeps giving briefings that all systems must be destroyed if the enemy has a high chance of getting their hands on said equipment for the equipment I work on.

I go for the Humvee.  A tank requires more than one person to field it in battle.  Unless you say crap using the cannon and just run over everything (then again, gas mileage sucks major on a tank).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

17 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

O there is that one, but I think there is another.  Not sure though.  Might look around if I have the time.

Probably have to be one hell of a hacker.  I am not versed on systems controlling nukes, but the few systems I work on will dump configs or zeroize if to many incorrect tries occur.  Once that occurs, you ain't going to get the system do anything unless said individual is versed in how such systems are to be loaded and brought back up correctly.  I would think nuclear war systems would have even several layers to keep unauthorized access to the systems.  Also, the peeps working there, if they follow procedure, most likely would do a full destruction to the battle systems if someone was trying to take control.  At least I think they have procedure like that.  Considering, I get enough power slides and peeps giving briefings that all systems must be destroyed if the enemy has a high chance of getting their hands on said equipment for the equipment I work on.

I go for the Humvee.  A tank requires more than one person to field it in battle.  Unless you say crap using the cannon and just run over everything (then again, gas mileage sucks major on a tank).

I don't know. I heard they're still working off floppy drives. Though you wouldn't really need them, you just take a Humvee (good point about the tank). Though I'd take it and look for a Mercedes 6x6 or one of these (I'd have plenty of time, waiting for all the zombies to fall apart): 

Main PC 

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup. Like the "Angel of Death" mushroom. Looks like a normal white mushroom you'd get from the supermarket, but it's deadly poisonous and there's no antidote. That's why only pros collect wild mushrooms, since it takes ages to learn what is tasty and what will make you suffer in extreme pain and die miserably. Best bet is to get food from a reputable store, end leaving wild mushroom foraging to idiots or proffesianals. 

Still not going to take that chance. Reputable stores fuck up all the time lol

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Still not going to take that chance. Reputable stores fuck up all the time lol

The best option (and tastiest one) is just to not eat mushrooms in the first place. 

Main PC 

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

The best option (and tastiest one) is just to not eat mushrooms in the first place. 

Exactly. Never liked the taste anyways.

47 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Exactly. Never liked the taste anyways.

Feed them to the zombies to make them decompose faster. 

Main PC 

23 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I don't know. I heard they're still working off floppy drives. Though you wouldn't really need them, you just take a Humvee (good point about the tank). Though I'd take it and look for a Mercedes 6x6 or one of these (I'd have plenty of time, waiting for all the zombies to fall apart): 

Yeah, those marauders are bad arse.  I have a cousin in the Marine Corps who works on vehicles.  He gets to drive and work on some sweet vehicles at times.  Though, if a zombie outbreak ever occurred.  One, I get with my cousin, second we get with the rest of my relatives in the military (a good chunk of us are military or former military).  Should be covered except for Navy (only branch none in my family in yet).

There is a reason for the floppy drives.  Yes, some systems still use them.  Note, they are not standard size floppies though.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, those marauders are bad arse.  I have a cousin in the Marine Corps who works on vehicles.  He gets to drive and work on some sweet vehicles at times.  Though, if a zombie outbreak ever occurred.  One, I get with my cousin, second we get with the rest of my relatives in the military (a good chunk of us are military or former military).  Should be covered except for Navy (only branch none in my family in yet).

There is a reason for the floppy drives.  Yes, some systems still use them.  Note, they are not standard size floppies though.

Yup. I'd stick with my dad, he was a Marine 23 years, and in the Recon for a few of those. As long as I didn't die of fright (since zombies are creepy). That's why a tank or massive truck would be nice, so I could just run them over, not have to deal with them. 

Main PC 

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup. I'd stick with my dad, he was a Marine 23 years, and in the Recon for a few of those. As long as I didn't die of fright (since zombies are creepy). That's why a tank or massive truck would be nice, so I could just run them over, not have to deal with them. 

Plus, get the military manual on how to deal with zombie outbreak (no kidding, it does exist).  Leave it to the military to come up plans for even stuff like that.

I remember seeing it once, just can't remember the manual number though.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:22 AM, Trik'Stari said:

Just an FYI the reactor cooling in all U.S plants are gravity fed, which means the water used to feed cooling  sits on top of the vessel.  Nothing really to pump so there isn't an issue of a pump failure like with Fukushima.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Plus, get the military manual on how to deal with zombie outbreak (no kidding, it does exist).  Leave it to the military to come up plans for even stuff like that.

I remember seeing it once, just can't remember the manual number though.

There's actually a manual for that? They actually think corpses will be reanimated and attack people? (And why do zombies attack people? There's not really a reason for a reanimated, mindless corpse to have any feelings of animosity towards humans)

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

There's actually a manual for that? They actually think corpses will be reanimated and attack people? (And why do zombies attack people? There's not really a reason for a reanimated, mindless corpse to have any feelings of animosity towards humans)

Well, I can't remember the exact word usage for zombie in that manual, but pretty much kind of like either fungus or a parasite style one.  Heck, the military loves its manuals.  (Loves its paper work too)

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Well, I can't remember the exact word usage for zombie in that manual, but pretty much kind of like either fungus or a parasite style one.  Heck, the military loves its manuals.  (Loves its paper work too)

The Marines also love their acronyms. We used to get old brochures and such from meetings, and it'd be a 40-50 page booklet, with 3+ pages at the back, explaining what all the acronyms were! xD

Main PC