WTF Is Wrong With GPU Price Right Now?

Just like the bitcoin boom a few years back the prices will drop again, but likely not for a considerable time here.

What needs to happen is asics to begin to grow mainstream for the current cc being mined, once that happens then the prices will drop pretty quickly.

Until that point though people will still continue to buy up amd's gpus at an insane price because they're still the best options for mining.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

13 minutes ago, tlink said:

i bet you're just thinking of bitcoin. there are loads of altcoins that made a really good profit (still do, its just in steady decline). some people made 200 bucks profit per month i believe if not more.

>200$

>assuming altcoin is worth anything outside of the internet and the black market

>also assuming power usage from those GPU's won't basically negate the price over a month

Bitcoin is a big scam.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, babadoctor said:

>200$

>assuming altcoin is worth anything outside of the internet and the black market

>also assuming power usage from those GPU's won't basically negate the price over a month

Bitcoin is a big fat scam.

200 is after power costs. like i said, its not bitcoin.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

200 is after power costs.

but how are you going to pay the power bill with *INSERT CRYPTOCURRENCY HERE*?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

but how are you going to pay the power bill with bitcoin?

you don't mine bitcoin so that won't be a scenario in the first place. it sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about, no offense. saying all altcoins are bitcoins is like saying that every dollar is USD. they have different worths, and they can be exchanged for other currency's relative to their worth. hence why they are worth money. and i can buy a shitton of things with bitcoin in my country, i can buy healthinsurance, food/drinks, computerparts, all at mainstream suppliers with bitcoin.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

you don't mine bitcoin so that won't be a scenario in the first place. it sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about, no offense. saying all altcoins are bitcoins is like saying that every dollar is USD. they have different worths, and they can be exchanged for other currency's relative to their worth. hence why they are worth money. and i can buy a shitton of things with bitcoin in my country, i can buy healthinsurance, food/drinks, computerparts, all at mainstream suppliers with bitcoin.

y-you can buy health insurance with CRYPTOCURRENCY?

you must be trolling right now

what country do you live in?

y-you can buy health insurance with CRYPTOCURRENCY?

you must be trolling right now

no i can. im not kidding. it wouldn't surprise me if you could too in lets say china, because they really have quite a big bitcoin market. some health insurance over here did bitcoin give away's as part of a promotion to attract more customers.

Just now, tlink said:

no i can. im not kidding. it wouldn't surprise me if you could too in lets say china, because they really have quite a big bitcoin market. some health insurance over here did bitcoin give away's as part of a promotion to attract more customers.

holy shit thats crazy

holy shit thats crazy

its a legit currency over here, we even have dedicated fields for it on yearly tax reporting. its right under gold, "bitcoin and other cryptocurrency's"

I thought I read somewhere that prices should be returning to normal soon. 

36 minutes ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Yeah, great for you, not great for every other person on the planet trying to buy a good gpu to actually use it for something. 

The individual stated he is using an ASIC.  That piece of hardware is not a GPU.  That piece of hardware's pure purpose is mining.

The mining crazy will calm down again just like last time.  By the time it clams down though, good chance the new GPUs will be on the horizon.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Prof said:

This is a topic for explanation and problem solving with the current GPU pricing crisis right now? Give us you idea of good GPU's for budget gamers, or why high end GPU prices have sky-rocketed!

Mining, primarily Etherium.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Since cryptomining has somehow invaded everybody’s minds, third-party graphics card makers (i.e. ASUS & MSI) are in the works of special graphics cards dedicated to cryptomining.

How to tell the difference?

Cryptomining-dedicated graphics card do not feature any sign of video outputs. In other words, no HDMI ports or DisplayPorts and likewise.

3 hours ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Yeah, great for you, not great for every other person on the planet trying to buy a good gpu to actually use it for something. 

dude, it's not our fucking fault.  We're customers too.  Take this, there is not enough food in the world, do you tell the african kids to not eat so there is more food left?  No, you try to make more food.

BTW, I make over 60 dollars a day mining.

2 hours ago, tlink said:

dude listen in china we cant do that but you can obvioucly fucking convert currencies.  Oh, shit sheerlock.  Bitcoin can be turned into dollars on your mastercard, woah!

I love this thread, there are all the dumbasses bitching about shit they don't know about, then there are the few people who are smart, and give me hope for this planet.

2 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

I thought I read somewhere that prices should be returning to normal soon. 

I sure hope not, I just recently ordered a 2000 dollar asic lol.

Anyways it makes so much right now that if it is stable for six months I will have already made a shit ton of money aka 8000 dollars.

3 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

dude, it's not our fucking fault.  We're customers too.  Take this, there is not enough food in the world, do you tell the african kids to not eat so there is more food left?  No, you try to make more food.

BTW, I make over 60 dollars a day mining.

I get that you guys are customers too and no one can stop you from buying what you want but think this for a second, because of the miners, GPUs are going out of stock and prices are sky rocketing and anyone other than people who want to mine can't get their builds done under a certain budget.

1 hour ago, ArduinoBen said:

I sure hope not, I just recently ordered a 2000 dollar asic lol.

Anyways it makes so much right now that if it is stable for six months I will have already made a shit ton of money aka 8000 dollars.

Is mining that profitable ?! 

6 hours ago, Prof said:

I completely agree! Why do people even do It? There's only like a 6% profit!?!

They're dreaming of the price skyrocketing up like bitcoin.

The Etherium buzz is funny to me.  Surely people would remember the Litecoin craze of 2013.  People were buying R9 290's like crazy for a few months and then dumping them for cheap prices.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

9 hours ago, Prof said:

This is a topic for explanation and problem solving with the current GPU pricing crisis right now? Give us you idea of good GPU's for budget gamers, or why high end GPU prices have sky-rocketed!

They are making mining cards specifically for this task, just does a way with the video outputs [HDMi/+DVI-D/DisplayPort] thats all i know afaik. As for release dates I don't know.

In a way in my own words i can sorta explain why GPU skyrocketed. It is because the "reseller" think they can "Cash in" on this "craze",

Probably Nvidia [lets talk nvidia in this case] will get a "FIXED" portion of the money, and the rest is towards the reseller. simple scenario i can come up with is as below:

Eg Lets say: a GTX 1080 Ti cost 1200AUD originally at launch, resold by Reseller #1. According to price division per unit sold. out of 1200AUD

900aud goes to Nvidia [75%]

300aud goes to Reseller #1 [25%]

Now fast forwards 1 month later, in response to the mining craze. the price jacked up to say 1500AUD [lets say an absurd amount]. [Quantity demanded > Quantity supplied so price increase, basic economics]

900aud goes to Nvidia still. [60%] -15% v

but 300aud [+300aud] goes to Reseller #1. [40%] +15% ^

Using basic economics this can be described as a shortage, which leads to the price hikes.

So technically Nvidia isn't benefitting off the craze but the reseller is taking advantage in this case as every website updates not all at the same time but as of different days... The resellers are the one who ideally jacks up the price and the loser in this case is consumers in general. My assumption is nvidia gets fixed costs/profits for their actual cards be it price rise or decrease [unless they themselves announced that there will be a price increase etc then this arguement is invalid and can thus be ignored].

Also high gpu prices tend to sway customers into the other side of things eg Nvidia to Amd because price/performance not so good i guess? or the other way round... below article described the incident with amd being expensive & consumers make a gradual shift to nvidia. This i was reading last night and it explains it well for those who think the above explanation is a pile of crap:

vvvv

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/05/25/why-did-nvidia-win-the-gpu-market/#2bff21e475ef explains it quite well. the case with why everyone went to nvidia over amd because of the mining fiasco [Google "Crypto Currency" and read from there onwards]

TL;DR: Resellers are the ones who fluctuate the GPU prices based on responses, nvidia only receive fixed portion of the sale irregardless what happened they are banking it one way or another.

8 hours ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Hopefully. I'm happy with my 1050 ti until the miners calm down a little, but it would be nice to have cards in stock more than once a year.  

Yeah unfortunate the miners just disadvantage actual gamers that use it for its intended purpose.

it forced me to buy a 1080 ti over the actual 1070 that i was trying to aim for [price hike of approx 170aud which is absurd for the same thing]

if i did get anything wrong or absurd do please highlight me but this is what i THINK is happening now... as far as things are concerned. 

i believe this thread is to allow discussion. and disagreement is fine with me so long as its constructive or detailed highlighting my flaws or inaccuracies.

i dont have anything against miners, it is what they do and im okay with it. im just sharing my thoughts on an equal level.

Edited by xsimplyjosh
additional information added.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

And also, ASIC cards, are they worth their insane price tags? And are AMD cards just more efficient than let's say, a gtx1080TI SLI config?

1 hour ago, xsimplyjosh said:

They are making mining cards specifically for this task, just does a way with the video outputs [HDMi/+DVI-D/DisplayPort] thats all i know afaik. As for release dates I don't know.

In a way in my own words i can sorta explain why GPU skyrocketed. It is because the "reseller" think they can "Cash in" on this "craze",

Probably Nvidia [lets talk nvidia in this case] will get a "FIXED" portion of the money, and the rest is towards the reseller. simple scenario i can come up with is as below:

Eg Lets say: a GTX 1080 Ti cost 1200AUD originally at launch, resold by Reseller #1. According to price division per unit sold. out of 1200AUD

900aud goes to Nvidia [75%]

300aud goes to Reseller #1 [25%]

Now fast forwards 1 month later, in response to the mining craze. the price jacked up to say 1500AUD [lets say an absurd amount]. [Quantity demanded > Quantity supplied so price increase, basic economics]

900aud goes to Nvidia still. [60%] -15% v

but 300aud [+300aud] goes to Reseller #1. [40%] +15% ^

Using basic economics this can be described as a shortage, which leads to the price hikes.

So technically Nvidia isn't benefitting off the craze but the reseller is taking advantage in this case as every website updates not all at the same time but as of different days... The resellers are the one who ideally jacks up the price and the loser in this case is consumers in general. My assumption is nvidia gets fixed costs/profits for their actual cards be it price rise or decrease [unless they themselves announced that there will be a price increase etc then this arguement is invalid and can thus be ignored].

Also high gpu prices tend to sway customers into the other side of things eg Nvidia to Amd because price/performance not so good i guess? or the other way round... below article described the incident with amd being expensive & consumers make a gradual shift to nvidia. This i was reading last night and it explains it well for those who think the above explanation is a pile of crap:

vvvv

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/05/25/why-did-nvidia-win-the-gpu-market/#2bff21e475ef explains it quite well. the case with why everyone went to nvidia over amd because of the mining fiasco [Google "Crypto Currency" and read from there onwards]

TL;DR: Resellers are the ones who fluctuate the GPU prices based on responses, nvidia only receive fixed portion of the sale irregardless what happened they are banking it one way or another.

Yeah unfortunate the miners just disadvantage actual gamers that use it for its intended purpose.

it forced me to buy a 1080 ti over the actual 1070 that i was trying to aim for [price hike of approx 170aud which is absurd for the same thing]

if i did get anything wrong or absurd do please highlight me but this is what i THINK is happening now... as far as things are concerned. 

i believe this thread is to allow discussion. and disagreement is fine with me so long as its constructive or detailed highlighting my flaws or inaccuracies.

i dont have anything against miners, it is what they do and im okay with it. im just sharing my thoughts on an equal level.

If the whol thing about nvidia getting -% of the profit, why can't we just buy them straight off nvidia, or even just nvidia supplying us with generic PCB's instead???

7 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

dude listen in china we cant do that but you can obvioucly fucking convert currencies.  Oh, shit sheerlock.  Bitcoin can be turned into dollars on your mastercard, woah!

i know thats obvious, it just sounded like he they didn't know, that's why i felt the need to put emphasis on it.

Can we just ban all talk of cryptocurrency mining as well as the miners please? 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430