WTF Is Wrong With GPU Price Right Now?

This is a topic for explanation and problem solving with the current GPU pricing crisis right now? Give us you idea of good GPU's for budget gamers, or why high end GPU prices have sky-rocketed!

rx 470/480 gtx 1060 etc have all been bought up for cryprocurrency mining, this generates money for them. it should come down soon.

I completely agree! Why do people even do It? There's only like a 6% profit!?!

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

rx 470/480 gtx 1060 etc have all been bought up for cryprocurrency mining, this generates money for them. it should come down soon.

>cryptocurrency mining

>2017

what

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, Prof said:

Just now, Prof said:

It's more than 6% profit. They make the money of their gpu back then they still have the opportunity to sell the gpu back for 3/4 the price it is new and they make some money. 

These topics are getting old now...Linus should put up a sticky.

Just now, CooperMyers said:

It's more than 6% profit. They make the money of their gpu back then they still have the opportunity to sell the gpu back for 3/4 the price it is new and they make some money. 

Yes.

Just now, Mooshi said:

These topics are getting old now...Linus should put up a sticky.

We just need to let people know.

1 minute ago, CooperMyers said:

Yes, but by the time the mining craze is over, won't the prices fall, due to new cards/ said card being older?

1 minute ago, Prof said:

There was a decent profit.

With my single RX 470 4 GB card that cost me around 190$ here (where we have high VAT), I made 0.3 ETH in a month by leaving the pc working 24/7, or around 80$ (when the peak ETH price was around 230-260$) with electricity costs of around 10-12$.

But the mining difficulty went up as more and more people started mining so today if i'd leave my pc running 24/7 i'd make maybe 25-30$ at the end of the month after paying the electricity bill.  Somewhat not worth it especially since i'd have to use fans in the room so more noise and more uncomfortable.

That's why some people already started to sell their 4GB cards and there's less demand for cards, so prices are slowly going down (or should i say back to normal).

1 minute ago, Prof said:

Yes, but by the time the mining craze is over, won't the prices fall, due to new cards/ said card being older?

True. It will drop a little but they won't fall too much. Even if the 1060 dropped to $150 they would still make money. Also new cryprocurencies are always common up so they will just move on to the next one. 

5 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

I'm a litecoin miner.  Guys, mining is great!  I'm using a $2000 ASIC though.  Anyways, you'd understand if you mined as well.  You can make back the price of a GTX 1080 pretty quick.

Yeah, great for you, not great for every other person on the planet trying to buy a good gpu to actually use it for something. 

I recently bought a pair of 950 Strix's to resell with a minority profit during the holidays, but I am currently using a 1060 (6G), which is a very good alternative to an RX 580, without the crazy price.

And what's the deal with cloud mining? Is there any point in it?

14 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

>cryptocurrency mining

>2017

what

i bet you're just thinking of bitcoin. there are loads of altcoins that made a really good profit (still do, its just in steady decline). some people made 200 bucks profit per month i believe if not more.

6 minutes ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Yeah, great for you, not great for every other person on the planet trying to buy a good gpu to actually use it for something. 

You mean use it for gaming?

And please, do tell me how productive gaming is...

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

(Agreed)

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

And please, do tell me why your profile picture is from the GAME Dishonored? 

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

And please, do tell me why your profile picture is from the GAME Dishonored? 

Because it was an awesome game.

Note, I never said anything is wrong with gaming (I love playing games) but to try and somehow say gaming is this amazingly productive thing is a bit of BS.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Because it was an awesome game.

Note, I never said anything is wrong with gaming (I love playing games) but to try and somehow say gaming is this amazingly productive thing is a bit of BS.

(First, I love dishonored, just got salty for a second. My bad, no offence.) Never said it was, I should have phrased that better. I meant more in the sense that using the GPU for what it was built to do, not a cheap easy way to gain cheap, easy money. I understand it works and works well, and I think there wouldnt be any fuss about it except theres so many people doing it, and almost all 200 dollar budget GPUs are out of stock because of it. 

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

(First, I love dishonored, just got salty for a second. My bad, no offence.) Never said it was, I should have phrased that better. I meant more in the sense that using the GPU for what it was built to do, not a cheap easy way to gain cheap, easy money. I understand it works and works well, and I think there wouldnt be any fuss about it except theres so many people doing it, and almost all 200 dollar budget GPUs are out of stock because of it. 

Ah, I see your point and I do agree and totally understand why people get so pissed off at miners, it sucks wanting to buy a card for your build and being told it's out of stock or you have to pay some crazy price to get it. It would be nice if there was a balance and hopefully soon that can happen :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Ah, I see your point and I do agree and totally understand why people get so pissed off at miners, it sucks wanting to buy a card for your build and being told it's out of stock or you have to pay some crazy price to get it. It would be nice if there was a balance and hopefully soon that can happen :) 

Hopefully. I'm happy with my 1050 ti until the miners calm down a little, but it would be nice to have cards in stock more than once a year.