Radiator Mounting Rotation

Hi guys, so I am currently in a project of upgrading my water cooling setup. From the basics that I learned, the Radiator's inside is something like this:

5966d98ac5366_Water-Cooling-Radiator-heat-exchanging1.jpg.3c0b0ad6218b346efcff320d0e9d8a5a.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong. Right now, I am mounting the radiator on front of my case with the in and out port being placed on top. Eurgh, one of a hell to drain it. Now since I am upgrading my setup, is it any good if I rotate it, so both port will be on the bottom? I'm thinking about how much force the pump have to push in order to get through the radiator. By the way, my pump is EK's D5 Revo. Will it suffice? Having both ports on the bottom makes it easier for draining and maintenance, at least for me. What do you guys think? Tell me about your setup also (if you have front mounted rads)!

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

I have been looking at liquid cooling for my system but haven't made the jump yet.  Thanks for posting this question because I was wondering the same thing.  Hope you get a response soon.

@TenzoNakami

The D5 has more than enough pressure head(force) and flow to do your loop.

While having the radiator's ports at the bottom may allow you to drain your loop easier it is best to keep the ports at the top to allow any air in the loop to leave the radiator with ease.

You can use T-connector and almost any port(not at the CPU) obviously that has the space around it and add a ball valve at one end and a normal port on the other , this would allow you to have a drain port/fitting, or maybe your reservoir has more then two holes and you can add a ball valve there for draining.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

17 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I have been looking at liquid cooling for my system but haven't made the jump yet.  Thanks for posting this question because I was wondering the same thing.  Hope you get a response soon.

Good luck on it, sir! It is a cruel world full of splooosh and crack :x

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

@TenzoNakami

The D5 has more than enough pressure head(force) and flow to do your loop.

While having the radiator's ports at the bottom may allow you to drain your loop easier it is best to keep the ports at the top to allow any air in the loop to leave the radiator with ease.

You can use T-connector and almost any port(not at the CPU) obviously that has the space around it and add a ball valve at one end and a normal port on the other , this would allow you to have a drain port/fitting, or maybe your reservoir has more then two holes and you can add a ball valve there for draining.

So uh, that's how my current setup is. The problem is, I need to shake or rotate the whole PC case in order to get whatever left inside of the rad out. Removing the rads from it's position is not ideal though, if I need to do that every time I need to drain my setup, why would there be a drain port, right?

Do you have any suggestion: If you insist on doing that, how to drain the rad quickly and efficiently without rotating or shaking the whole PC case? It is heavy and all.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

1 minute ago, TenzoNakami said:

Good luck on it, sir! It is a cruel world full of splooosh and crack :x

So uh, that's how my current setup is. The problem is, I need to shake or rotate the whole PC case in order to get whatever left inside of the rad out. Removing the rads from it's position is not ideal though, if I need to do that every time I need to drain my setup, why would there be a drain port, right?

Do you have any suggestion: If you insist on doing that, how to drain the rad quickly and efficiently without rotating or shaking the whole PC case? It is heavy and all.

I just told you how with the ball valve.....

What reservoir do you have?

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I just told you how with the ball valve.....

What reservoir do you have?

No, I mean even if I use that, there would be still some liquid splashing inside the rad, no? (Since both ports are on top, I'm quite sure there is still some liquid trapped inside) I am able to drain the whole setup except the leftover in the rad which only shows up if I do rotate the PC case or refilled the loops.

It's the EK RES X3 150mm.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

No, I mean even if I use that, there would be still some liquid splashing inside the rad, no? I am able to drain the whole setup except the leftover in the rad which only shows up if I do rotate the PC case or refilled the loops.

It's the EK RES X3 150mm.

Now that i have seen your reservoir you can use the ball valve on one of the spare outlet ports on the reservoir to drain the loop and then turn the radiator with the ports facing down but that can cause air pockets in the plenum changer of the radiator.

11 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Now that i have seen your reservoir you can use the ball valve on one of the spare outlet ports on the reservoir to drain the loop and then turn the radiator with the ports facing down but that can cause air pockets in the plenum changer of the radiator.

By having air pockets in the plenum changer.. Does it affect the performance by a big margins? Or does it affect the lifespan or something?

Spoiler

Just now, TenzoNakami said:

By having air pockets in the plenum changer.. Does it affect the performance by a big margins? Or does it affect the lifespan or something?

It will drive you crazy with a noise you just can't pinpoint. it can also cause bad flow when pressure builds after you have sealed your loop. You want the least amount of air in your loop as possible.

Now if you really want your radiator in that way then you go for it, just know you will have to rock the PC just like before but this time will be to get the air out of your loop.

I hope you understand.

Either is fine, one configuration makes it easier to bleed air, the other makes it easier to drain fluid. I have my rads with the input/output on the bottom with a D5 with no problems.

if i under stand it would the air not still get taped on top with the ports on top?

596c41070cb01_inoutbottom.jpg.49f2095cbedcc48acef780acaa87d69f.jpg596c41083258c_inouttop.jpg.dd933a7eddd99129a17e657807d4ee34.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links