Brazilian Justice Convicts Apple for misleading advertising

Princess Luna

It seems there still isn't english sources only brazilian news websites have been addressing the fact the local justice of the Brazilian state of São Paulo has found Apple guilty for misleading advertising:

Como o sistema operacional e os aplicativos pré-instalados consomem, pelo menos, 3 Gigabytes da memória dos aparelhos, a Justiçou julgou que a empresa promovia “oferta enganosa” ao anunciar que os consumidores dispunham de forma integral do espaço interno dos aparelhos.

TRANSLATION:

Since the operating system and the pre-installed applications will use at least around 3GB from the iPhone internal storage, the Justice has decided that the company [Apple] has been doing misleading advertising when it announces to the costumers that they'd have the entire advertised free internal storage.

To simplify, a lot of Brazilians are really dumb when comes down to tech so when Apple says that their iPhone has 16GB of storage space but in the end the actual free space for the user to use after taking OS and Apps out is ~ 12GB, a lot of people started getting into Justice claiming they were mislead since they only have 12GB to use and not the full 16GB "claimed" by Apple.

It was enough for the Justice to take this action and now Apple is supposed to only market their phones informing the FINAL FREE Storage space and not the total storage space.

Spoiler

Em caso de descumprimento, a Apple terá de pagar multa diária de R$ 100 mil.

TRANSLATION:

In case of noncompliance of the marketing and advertising methods, Apple will be fined daily in R$ 100.000,00 (Brazilian Reais) which is roughly US$ 30.000,00 (US Dollars). 

Brazilian Source:

http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noticia/justica-de-sp-ve-oferta-enganosa-e-manda-apple-informar-memoria-utilizavel-de-iphones.ghtml

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

... Aren't they all "guilty" of this? The phone technically does have X GB some is just taken by the OS. Android is the same... The phone does have the storage. Its just being used. Is the next case going to be against memory manufacturers when people realise their SSD/HDD isn't technically 1TB? Such a petty case lmao...

EDIT: Was totally hoping Brazilian Justice was a super ethical gang or strong advocates for hairless genitals

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

... Aren't they all "guilty" of this? The phone technically does have X GB some is just taken by the OS. Android is the same...

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

To simplify, a lot of Brazilians are really dumb when comes down to tech

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Does it mean they can sue Samsung or any other SSD manufacturer for selling a 512 GB NVMe SSD but when formated, less than 512 GB appears. 

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

To simplify, a lot of Brazilians are really dumb when comes down to tech so when Apple says that their iPhone has 16GB of storage space but in the end the actual free space for the user to use after taking OS and Apps out is ~ 12GB, a lot of people started getting into Justice claiming they were mislead since they only have 12GB to use and not the full 16GB "claimed" by Apple.

They should probably sue a lot of Android OEMs who puts a lot of undercooked features that takes up so much storage space. I just want to face palm. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Why not educate morons instead of molly coddling them? It's unfair to make Apple advertise as 12GB because of the OS yet Samsung can still say 16GB. The same dumb people will think "oh the Samsung has more i'll buy that one" Derp derp oh I not got 16GB. *a few days later* Samsung sued for false advertising!

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Does it mean they can sue Samsung or any other SSD manufacturer for selling a 512 GB NVMe SSD but when formated, less than 512 GB appears. 

They should probably sue a lot of Android OEMs who puts a lot of undercooked features that takes up so much storage space. I just want to face palm. 

Oh hey its me from my previous post, but with the words in a slightly different order xD 

$30k? Lmao.

That's like, feather duster fund for a week compared to Apple's overall liquid assets.

Should'a been $30M

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I don't expect people to understand the OS will use up storage, if there is no explanation that some of that storage is used by OS or whatever then that does not make them dumb, just not savvy tech enthusiasts.  Yes android manufacturers do the same, they should be charged the same measly fine and told to do things different too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple did nothing wrong.

31 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

a lot of Brazilians are really dumb

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

FINALLY!!! I have an iphone with 8gb, and 5.9 of it is the damn OS. I can have like a few pictures, or like 1 app. Then when I watch youtube, I get told I have no storage, and the video lags because there isn't enough ram to watch youtube videos on safari.

It's a mixed bags here, my provider, Google, when I purchased it from the store, had a small print under the phone explaining the exact storage amount. Hmm strange indeed!

32 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

its not when formated its the os and manufacturers count differently 

What's the point of specifying storage if it doesn't account OS and bloatware?This should be forbidden everywhere because it really is false advertising (how am I supposed to know how heavy iOS is?).

i think this is a good thing you have to remember the majority of people don't know about storage or the os and why should they care the only thing they care about is how many selfies they can fit there's no reason to add the space the os uses because it will always use that. plus it may discourage pre installed bloatware you cant remove withought rooting if this extends to other companies. the downside though is they may just make everything a update so when you buy it its the right size then it fills it up with a mandatory update.

Apple should've put external storage like sd cards. People wouldn't whine that much about the lack of storage on those if they could at least enhance a bit of that somehow.

Well this is odd, does it mean they're going to go after other phone manufacturers as well?

OS's after formatting a drive report it differently, and the OS obviously takes up space as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

44 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

No, because a 512GB SSD will offer 512GB when formatted.

If anyone was going to get sued it would be Microsoft, because Windows reports the storage capacity in GiB but calls it GB.

7 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Apple should've put external storage like sd cards. People wouldn't whine that much about the lack of storage on those if they could at least enhance a bit of that somehow.

I wish they would to,  Although I have only ever run out of storage once, I have witnessed a few phones die an unexpected death and having the ability to simply remove the sd cards and retrieve all the holiday/graduation/birthday/etc snaps is a blessing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well this is odd, does it mean they're going to go after other phone manufacturers as well?

OS's after formatting a drive report it differently, and the OS obviously takes up space as well.

thats a myth

Just now, Alaradia said:

thats a myth

What, that it's reported differently by the OS after formatted and initialised?

On Apple's appealing they did inform that it is impossible to precise the "free space only" for their advertises since it varies from OS versions, Bloatware versions and so on, so it is impossible to fulfill the court's decision since some might feature 12,4gb free others 13,1gb free, 11,9gb free and so on thus why the advertising is standardize with the total invariable amount of total 16gb for example.

But the Justice did not take its appeal and it is still forcing Apple to find a better way to advertise it's devices storage capacities.

44 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

They should probably sue a lot of Android OEMs who puts a lot of undercooked features that takes up so much storage space.

Android/Google and its partner manufactures like Asus, Samsung, LG and so on are not responding in Justice for the practice even though they do the exact same thing, due to insufficient amount of complains, this decision only happened after a considerable high number of Apple costumers complained with National Costumers Protection Service and Small Claims Court.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Valentyn said:

What, that it's reported differently by the OS after formatted and initialised?

computers never show a drive its full labeled size 

Just now, Alaradia said:

computers never show a drive its full labeled size 

Exactly, it's reported differently, which is what I said. Can't see and use it without formatting and initialising it either.