U.S. Government Awards AMD Contract to pursue Exascale computing

nicehat

amd.jpg

AMD was selected for an award of $3.1 million for a research project associated with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Extreme-Scale Computing Research and Development Program, known as "DesignForward." The DOE award is an expansion of work started as part of another two-year award AMD received in 2012 called "FastForward." The FastForward award aims to accelerate the research and development of processor and memory technologies needed to support extreme-scale computing. The DesignForward award supports the research of the interconnect architectures and technologies needed to support the data transfer capabilities in extreme-scale computing environments.

DesignForward is a jointly funded collaboration between the DOE Office of Science and the U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) to accelerate the research and development of critical technologies needed for extreme-scale computing, on the path toward Exascale computing. Exascale supercomputers are expected to be capable of performing computation hundreds of times faster than today's fastest computers, with only slightly higher power utilization. Exascale supercomputers are designed to break through the current limitations of today's supercomputers by dramatically reducing the length of run time required to perform calculations and improving the capability to perform detailed simulations, modeling, and analyses of complex systems.

So what is Exascale? Wikipedia says its a computing system capable of at least one exaFLOP. One exaflops is a thousand petaflops or a quintillion, 10^18, floating point operations per second...

Id like to see the heatsink that goes on that baby

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/us-government-awards-amd-2013nov18.aspx

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Dont like how there logo is shown in Nvidia colours :P

But grats to them, hopefully they can use some of that research to put into there own next-gen GPU/CPU/APU's

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Their logo actually is green.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Their logo actually is green.

It's actually black

http://www.amd.com/Style%20Library/Images/rebrand/logo.png

(AMDs logo on there website)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

the original is black letters Green symbol

Pretty sure that's it.

-CPU:4670K -GPU: EVGA SC 970 -Display: LG 29UM67-P 2560x1080 -Mobo:Msi G45 -CpuHS:NZXT T40 -Ram:Gskill 1600 -Case:Bitfenix Shinobi -Psu: XFX 750W -Fans:Bitfenix SpectrePro 2x140 2x120

the original is black letters Green symbol

Yep, that is the original and it is the one on my AMD CPU packaging!

Yep, that is the original and it is the one on my AMD CPU packaging!

Well there is 2 on my CPU packaging. There is a small black AMD logo on the back and a larger green AMD logo on the side!

But grats to them, hopefully they can use some of that research to put into there own next-gen GPU/CPU/APU's

AMD was founded more than 20 years before Nvidia and been using the green arrow logo ever since the company's inception.

This is not surprising considering how nVidia gimped their consumer-grade cards' compute performance after the GTX500 series. Sadly, with the 200 series, AMD seems to be following nVidia's lead and lowered their double precision compute performance as well. Good for the companies, bad for the consumers. :(

ATI was red.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

i like how this thread turned into a debate about what the AMD logo originally looked like

I stayed on topic! Although compute performance and government contracts aren't exactly the most exciting things to discuss....

Logo discussion, they use both black and green, most of the products carry the green arrow. The guy who mentioned Nvidia doesn't know AMD has been using this logo much longer.

Real discussion, I hope AMD uses this as an opportunity to develop further technologies that one day could be accessible to the consumer. Every job is a chance to learn and develop.

Nonsense discussion, Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, Nuclear NSA is coming!

I guess no one cares about exascale computing? It's implications on tomorrow's supercomputers? Better weather prediction, stock market analysis and predictive algorithms? Scientific progress?

Nope

Logos

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I guess no one cares about exascale computing? It's implications on tomorrow's supercomputers? Better weather prediction, stock market analysis and predictive algorithms? Scientific progress? Nope Logos

To be fair, the majority of the people on this forum are mostly gamers (all they care about is how many frames x card renders in y game) and know nothing about super computing in financial anaylysis, research similations, or anything else related. An active forum dedicated to more technical, or non-gaming in general, aspects of hardware would be so great. ^_^

Supercomputer APU :lol: yey

intel... who is intel... what is that strange word that i can not remember ? :rolleyes: