Custom watercooling at AIO prices?

4 minutes ago, Yapi said:

@Enderman
How about naming me that 30 FPI AIO radiator mate?

@wkdpaul
Ok, I will stay respectful to the guy when he starts being respectful to companies that try to produce good stuff for the enthusiasts.
How come he can bash at EK with false claims, he can spread wrong information again and again... and get away with it?

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Thread somewhat cleaned ... ?

I would like to ask everyone to stay respectful toward each other, I don't want to have to lock this thread.

As mods we're not here to fact check everyone replies, but anything that is in the CS (personal attacks, insults, being aggressive, condescending and generally disrespectful including "you don't know anything" types of replies) will be moderated.

If you think someone is wrong, then please discuss it in a respectful manner.

If you think someone is violating the CS, report the reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, Yapi said:

How about naming me that 30 FPI AIO radiator mate?

Actually the rads I was thinking of were not on AIOs, my bad.

AIOs are also around 20fpi, so that performance difference in the graph isn't from the rad.

9 minutes ago, Yapi said:

Ok, I will stay respectful to the guy when he starts being respectful to companies that try to produce good stuff for the enthusiasts.
How come he can bash at EK with false claims, he can spread wrong information again and again... and get away with it?

It's not false information when there's plenty of evidence on the internet of their fittings prone to leaking.

You think that is "good stuff for the enthusiasts"?

Personally I think an enthusiast would be able to choose parts for his own loop and not need a kit.

An enthusiast would want the best parts, not mediocre budget aluminum stuff.

EK makes great waterblocks and pumps/reservoirs, I'm just stating facts here that their fittings are bad and you can see that for yourself with a bit of research.

I even posted a dozen examples earlier for you to look at.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not false information when there's plenty of evidence on the internet of their fittings prone to leaking.

You think that is "good stuff for the enthusiasts"?

Personally I think an enthusiast would be able to choose parts for his own loop and not need a kit.

An enthusiast would want the best parts, not mediocre budget stuff.

EK makes great waterblocks and pumps/reservoirs, I'm just stating facts here that their fittings are bad and you can see that for yourself with a bit of research.

I even posted a dozen examples earlier for you to look at.

unfortunately there is no way to know the market share, but for scale, if we assumed for a second EK sold 5 times as many fittings (due to lower cost) then we could safely see 5 times as many issues and still be the same quality but since we don't know sales numbers for either company it's impossible to speculate percentage of bad parts from both brands, so there is no way to quantify the numbers to know whether EK ROTARY fittings are truly that much worse then other brands, and again these problems (Jay even mentioned it in his video) are from the ROTARY JOINT, it is not a requirement to use rotary joint fittings so you can avoid the issue even if you do expand by simply planning your loop so you don't use rotary joints, heck Jay even specifically discusses the idea of minimizing the number of fittings in your system to minimize your risk of a leak, you can't get any more minimized then soft line tubing to compression fittings on at the blocks, rads and pumps.

I think I will still wait a while so we see how reviews from actual users go, but I am very tempted by this kits price point, I definitely like the idea of it after seeing it's performance at that pricepoint being the cost of the EVGA Hybrid Kit for the 1080ti and a H100i V2 for the CPU, would be more then this kit while this kit keeps temps lower is down right awesome, plus it looks better.

8 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

unfortunately there is no way to know the market share, but for scale, if we assumed for a second EK sold 5 times as many fittings (due to lower cost) then we could safely see 5 times as many issues and still be the same quality but since we don't know sales numbers for either company it's impossible to speculate percentage of bad parts from both brands, so there is no way to quantify the numbers to know whether EK ROTARY fittings are truly that much worse then other brands, and again these problems (Jay even mentioned it in his video) are from the ROTARY JOINT, it is not a requirement to use rotary joint fittings so you can avoid the issue even if you do expand by simply planning your loop so you don't use rotary joints, heck Jay even specifically discusses the idea of minimizing the number of fittings in your system to minimize your risk of a leak, you can't get any more minimized then soft line tubing to compression fittings on at the blocks, rads and pumps.

I think I will still wait a while so we see how reviews from actual users go, but I am very tempted by this kits price point, I definitely like the idea of it after seeing it's performance at that pricepoint being the cost of the EVGA Hybrid Kit for the 1080ti and a H100i V2 for the CPU, would be more then this kit while this kit keeps temps lower is down right awesome, plus it looks better.

You're the guy that said he's never going to upgrade or expand it right?

Then sure, maybe this loop is good for you.

I'm just pointing out that for other people, they will be locked into the "all aluminum ecosystem" and if they wanted anything other than the basic straight fittings they would need to buy aluminum EK fittings.

Also, other than those old events I mentioned, as far as I know there have been NO bitspower fittings leak. If you can find anything to prove me wrong, please post it.

I searched with google with adjusted date range, and have found 0 leaks since that last forum topic in 2014.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You're the guy that said he's never going to upgrade or expand it right?

Then sure, maybe this loop is good for you.

I'm just pointing out that for other people, they will be locked into the "all aluminum ecosystem" and if they wanted anything other than the basic straight fittings they would need to buy aluminum EK fittings.

Also, other than those old events I mentioned, as far as I know there have been NO bitspower fittings leak. If you can find anything to prove me wrong, please post it.

I searched with google with adjusted date range, and have found 0 leaks since that last forum topic in 2014.

Yes, i'm that guy, but I think someone like me is more the target for this kit if we are being honest, this kit really appears targeted at getting people that would just normally use an AIO to go Open Loop, because many of us CLC guys are CLC because of how CHEAP it is to do, this is meant to be a middle ground, to bring CLC users into Open Loop, not meant to replace the copper open loop market high end enthusiast market, although it one day could if other companies jump on board and start doing aluminum kits when they realize the market available at this pricepoint. Being "locked in" to an ecosystem isn't a big deal provided that ecosystem is well supported, which EK appears to be planning from what I've read. look at these like you would a Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU, excellent performance for the dollar but still no match for a 7900x this is for Open Loop on a budget people, if you want hardline you still gotta go Copper parts.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

Yes, i'm that guy, but I think someone like me is more the target for this kit if we are being honest, this kit really appears targeted at getting people that would just normally use an AIO to go Open Loop, because many of us CLC guys are CLC because of how CHEAP it is to do, this is meant to be a middle ground, to bring CLC users into Open Loop, not meant to replace the copper open loop market high end enthusiast market, although it one day could if other companies just on board and start doing aluminum kits when they realize the market available at this pricepoint. Being "locked in" to an ecosystem isn't a big deal provided that ecosystem is well supported, which EK appears to be planning from what I've read. look at these like you would a Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU, excellent performance for the dollar but still no match for a 7900x this is for Open Loop on a budget people, if you want hardline you still gotta go Copper parts.

Ok, I hear you.

Spoiler

ok last post from me because I can smell that this thread will probably be locked soon.

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

One thing we should remember that posting on a forum is not the effective thing to do if you have a leak from a fitting - you should just contact the manufacturer and therefore the number of posts about leaks is not a indicator of the number of incidents. One should keep in mind that EKWB caters for the wider audience by selling kits (both copper and aluminium) meaning it is also likely dealing with a less experienced clientele. Bitspower on the otherhand does not do this and so automatically there is a certain degree of competence demonstrated by the buyers of Bitspower parts as they have to know a few things about watercooling to pick out the right parts from their long catalogue. Chances are that if Bitspower users find a leak, they would simply contact Bitspower for the necessary compensation. Furthermore, I don't scout forum postings in Mandarin/Taiwanese, so I also am not on top of what the larger clientele of Bitspower has to say (since it is a Taiwanese company). So just like how people don't often post happy posts like "my fittings are not leaking, yay!", experienced users don't post "my fittings are leaking, boo" they just contact the company and move on, especially because they are usually aware that fittings can fail, just the luck of the draw. Obviously absolutely no way to confirm to reject this as it is purely speculation, but not without grounds.

With regards to the A240G kit and the aluminium series, time will tell whether it becomes a viable alternative to copper. Clearly we are limited at the moment by the weak (albeit quiet) SPC pump, and the lack of radiators. This will change over the next few months, with EK releasing more radiators and stronger D5 equivalents. We will also see over a longer period of time the concerns of corrosion, such as with stainless steel (if @Yapi is correct about the jetplate). Clearly one thing EK (And other companies if they get interested) will have to deal with is user error, users may start to try things like using Mayhems Xtreme biocide with distilled water, not knowing that it contains copper sulphate; and they may have to deal with more RMAs due to this kind of negligence. Or get desperate and use hardline with brass fittings.

I personally use a full custom copper loop, but I can certainly understand the allure of this new series of kits and definitely would not stop somebody from trying it out if they are not ready to make the full jump the top-of-the-range full copper. Looking forward to see the future developments :)

• 9 months later...
On 7/11/2017 at 9:44 PM, nicklmg said:

I have a question about this Aluminum EK, does it work with maximus formula x motherboard even tho the EK slot is copper in it?