Ryzen 5 1600x vs Intel i5 7600k for gaming?

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Imo 70 dollars for a extra 2 cores is worth it

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

No one is giving you legitimate reasons so here I come.

First off, don't get the 1600x, get the 1600. It comes with a decent stock cooler that can do some OCing and OCes just as well as a 1600x.

The reason I usually suggest Ryzen 5 to people rather than i5 CPUs is because of minimums. While i5s do still win when it comes to averages, Ryzen almost always has better minimums, which imo matters more. Would you rather have a consistent experience or one that is sometimes I great and sometimes not?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

Hence why nowadays I never recommend i5s for gaming.

1700 doesn't improve gaming performance at all compared to a 1600, I don't know why you're recommending it.

I think you guys are ill informed as i watched linuses ryzen 5 review a thousand times and the 1600x does not always have higher minimums when it comes to gaming it only wins half the time in the minimums and that is when it is overclocked to 4 Ghz that it wins half the time when the 7600k is overclocked to 4.5 Ghz it demolishes the Ryzen in every game. Even non-overclocked the 7600k has higher averages than the 1600x overclocked so for gaming stick with the i5 7600k.

5 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

That is right! But i am still going to the 1700X if i make a whole new system later on

The picture to make your statement perfect

image.png

image.png

sorry but I don't get your point :(.

1 minute ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

sorry but I don't get your point :(.

It is the statistics of many coolers including the coolers that you mentioned

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

yeah but even a Ryzen CPU could provide well over the refresh rate of most monitors. 

dual cores an iGPUs are enough for most Indie games. 

Having fps above the refresh rate of monitors is still good. Reduces the response time of your input.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's AMD's version of Turbo Boost. It's not worth it according to everyone on the forum.

It'll be interesting in 4 years to see if there's a difference in failure rate between X and non X parts.

10 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Please look at my other post with recommended coolers at different price points, by the way, can you share your build with me so I can make suggestions?

My current build is: AMD Penom II 925, Nvidia GTX 460, Foxconn A88GMV, 8gb of DDR3 RAM, and 260 gb hard drive. 

Just now, Psych Reaper said:

My current build is: AMD Penom II 925, Nvidia GTX 460, Foxconn A88GMV, 8gb of DDR3 RAM, and 260 gb hard drive. 

I meant the build you are planning to make what is your budget by the way and what accessories do you have do you need a better monitor/ gaming headset/ keyboard/ wristrest/ mousepad/ bungee the list goes on. If you don't have a planned build give me a budget and I will compose a build in like 5/10 minutes. 

Just now, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

I meant the build you are planning to make what is your budget by the way and what accessories do you have do you need a better monitor/ gaming headset/ keyboard/ wristrest/ mousepad/ bungee the list goes on. If you don't have a planned build give me a budget and I will compose a build in like 5/10 minutes. 

Well the cpu choice is obvious from my post, but I am torn between the Ryzen 5 1600, and the I5 6700k. GPU, I was thinking a GTX 1060, and a mobo I have no clue what I want until I decide which cpu will be better. I have a okay monitor that I think I'm good with for now, and I have a generic back lit keyboard, and a walmart mouse lol. I think I'm good on peripherals for now. I just want to focus on building a gaming pc. I have a mid-tower right now, but I'm open to getting a new tower. My budget is $600 - $800 USD. I could go more, but I'd like to keep it as value-savvy as I can. 

It's not 2011 anymore. Last great quadcore was the i5 2500k, the Ryzen R5 1600 is the "new" 2500k in terms of value to performance being golden.

Don't bother with the X chips. Higher tdp with no gain and herp temp sensor adding +20c to the readings with a dumb offset.

4 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

Well the cpu choice is obvious from my post, but I am torn between the Ryzen 5 1600, and the I5 6700k. GPU, I was thinking a GTX 1060, and a mobo I have no clue what I want until I decide which cpu will be better. I have a okay monitor that I think I'm good with for now, and I have a generic back lit keyboard, and a walmart mouse lol. I think I'm good on peripherals for now. I just want to focus on building a gaming pc. I have a mid-tower right now, but I'm open to getting a new tower. My budget is $600 - $800 USD. I could go more, but I'd like to keep it as value-savvy as I can. 

Remember that new peripherals can improve your gaming experience as much as a good build. If I can fit a good keyboard and mouse and headset for under 800 can I put them in the build? Do you RGB if so how much on a scale of 1 to Cancer to Linus also what monitor do you have is it 1080, 720, how many hertz (refresh rate) thanks. By the way, I'm in us and it's 11 o'clock so I will sleep soon and go back on here tomorrow if you don't mind.

It's hard to fight off the insane amount of supporters for the Ryzen 5 1600, so I think I'll be going with that CPU. Besides, it'll be a massive upgrade from my Phenom II 925 regardless of which of the two cpus I choose. 

So what mobo should I be looking into now? I don't know anything about overclocking, but it seems quite possible. I'd like to get more years out of my components, rather than sacrifice lifetime for slight performance gains. So, I think OCing isn't a huge deal for me, as long as I can run the games at a decent rate, then I'll be a happy camper. 

Also, another question, should I just buy a whole new case and start from  scratch with this build, or should I recycle my tower and use it for the new parts? 

1 minute ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Remember that new peripherals can improve your gaming experience as much as a good build. If I can fit a good keyboard and mouse and headset for under 800 can I put them in the build? Do you RGB if so how much on a scale of 1 to Cancer to Linus

Lmao, nah I don't really care about RGB that much. I have two blue lit fans on my case, and a blue backlit keyboard along with some cheap $25  blue headphones. They work pretty well to be just $25. I think they look nice, but I'm more into performance than aesthetics at this point. 

1 minute ago, Psych Reaper said:

the r5 1600 is going to be the cheaper and perform similar to the i5 in games while being much better at everything multi-threaded related. The better choice is the r5 from a value standpoint not even taking into account the extra cores and threads it has. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDytbj this is how much it would cost to get a good ryzen setup. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NCGP7h here is what it would cost for the i5 setup. as you can see it is 100 dollars more expensive and for what? a slightly better gaming performance in some games and worse performance in everything else?

7 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

What monitor do you have? With a $600 budget, I'd go with a G4560 (Z-270) and a 1060 until you can afford a 7700 (K).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

It's hard to fight off the insane amount of supporters for the Ryzen 5 1600, so I think I'll be going with that CPU. Besides, it'll be a massive upgrade from my Phenom II 925 regardless of which of the two cpus I choose. 

So what mobo should I be looking into now? I don't know anything about overclocking, but it seems quite possible. I'd like to get more years out of my components, rather than sacrifice lifetime for slight performance gains. So, I think OCing isn't a huge deal for me, as long as I can run the games at a decent rate, then I'll be a happy camper. 

Also, another question, should I just buy a whole new case and start from  scratch with this build, or should I recycle my tower and use it for the new parts? 

What case do you have? Also OCing isn't dangerous if you keep the voltage reasonable, have a good cooler, and run a CPU at good temps under 80 and I think overclocking the 7600k will deliver better performance, and is more future proof if one day you want to upgrade to a top tier card vega/1080/1080ti.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

the r5 1600 is going to be the cheaper and perform similar to the i5 in games while being much better at everything multi-threaded related. The better choice is the r5 from a value standpoint not even taking into account the extra cores and threads it has. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDytbj this is how much it would cost to get a good ryzen setup. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NCGP7h here is what it would cost for the i5 setup. as you can see it is 100 dollars more expensive and for what? a slightly better gaming performance in some games and worse performance in everything else?

it performs worse in games not similar

When you talk about gaming, what are your target

Resolution?

Refresh rate?

In-game graphic settings?

3 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

it performs worse in games not similar

if its within 10% then id say similar. plus you wont even tell the difference unless you are at 1080p with a 1080 and even then it really depends on the game and settings.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

if its within 10% then id say similar. plus you wont even tell the difference unless you are at 1080p with a 1080 and even then it really depends on the game and settings.

Not with OCing and for games like gta 5 the FPS is like 20%higher Oced than the ryzen

3 minutes ago, NoMercy said:

When you talk about gaming, what are your target

Resolution?

Refresh rate?

In-game graphic settings?

A mixture of them all? I don't want the top of the line running everything at super mega ultra settings. I'd be happy with high settings, and everything running perfectly smoothly at or around 60+ fps. 

Let's not turn this into an AMD vs Intel benchmark debate. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

What case do you have? Also OCing isn't dangerous if you keep the voltage reasonable, have a good cooler, and run a CPU at good temps under 80 and I think overclocking the 7600k will deliver better performance, and is more future proof if one day you want to upgrade to a top tier card vega/1080/1080ti.

I have an old coolermaster case, not sure what exact model, but I bought this whole system as is from a friend for $200 in 2012, so it's pretty old. I don't really plan on going for top tier stuff, because I'm not interested in the best of the best. I just want to upgrade so that I can play all the new stuff at moderate settings. 

Just now, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Not with OCing and for games like gta 5 the FPS is like 20%higher Oced than the ryzen

for like 20% more in cost and that is if you have a good enough gpu to make it noticeable. 

31 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

I think you guys are ill informed as i watched linuses ryzen 5 review a thousand times and the 1600x does not always have higher minimums when it comes to gaming it only wins half the time in the minimums and that is when it is overclocked to 4 Ghz that it wins half the time when the 7600k is overclocked to 4.5 Ghz it demolishes the Ryzen in every game. Even non-overclocked the 7600k has higher averages than the 1600x overclocked so for gaming stick with the i5 7600k.

One thing to note, Linus used 97 percent lows whereas gamers nexus used 99% and 99.9% lows. As you move up percentages naturally the i5s are gonna look better since they have higher averages. As well, it's also worth mentioning that rise of the tomb raider, which showed a huge lead for Intel, has gotten an update that significantly boosts Ryzen performance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb