Ryzen 5 1600x vs Intel i5 7600k for gaming?

2 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

I have an old coolermaster case, not sure what exact model, but I bought this whole system as is from a friend for $200 in 2012, so it's pretty old. I don't really plan on going for top tier stuff, because I'm not interested in the best of the best. I just want to upgrade so that I can play all the new stuff at moderate settings. 

What's the most intensive game you play or plan to play? Crysis? Witcher 3? Rise of the Tomb Raider? GTA 5 ?

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

What monitor do you have? With a $600 budget, I'd go with a G4560 (Z-270) and a 1060 until you can afford a 7700 (K).

I have a 23 in Asus monitor, the resolution is 1920 x 1080. I don't know anything else about it, so yeah lol. I bought it for around $120 back in 2012.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

One thing to note, Linus used 97 percent lows whereas gamers nexus used 99% and 99.9% lows.

Source that Linus uses said "97 percent". 

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

As you move up percentages naturally the i5s are gonna look better since they have higher averages

This is also true for Ryzen which is why averages and minimums are both equally important. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

What's the most intensive game you play or plan to play? Crysis? Witcher 3? Rise of the Tomb Raider? GTA 5 ?

Witcher 3, guild wars 2, other MMO's with huge player bases, and battles. Maybe some Battlefield games. I also play some RTS games like Total war Warhammer. A little bit of this and that. 

1 minute ago, Psych Reaper said:

A mixture of them all? I don't want the top of the line running everything at super mega ultra settings. I'd be happy with high settings, and everything running perfectly smoothly at or around 60+ fps. 

So i assume your target would be

1080p, 60+fps, high setting (low, medium, high, ultra)

Choice of CPU: 7600k or 1600x (however i do suggest 1600 over 1600x)

Yes, definitely 7600k will win against 1600x in gaming. However since your target fps is just 60+, both can handle perfectly. I would suggest ryzen. It will perform perfectly in 1080p for over 60fps. Anyway, you can choose either of them because your gaming target is quite low actually.

As for graphic high settings, a 1070 will guarantee in all games for 60fps, but 1060 will do most of the games. I would suggest 1070 if you have the budget. Then you can even try ultra for some games.

3 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Oh, and also Nier automata. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to upgrade in the first place. I can't even play this game within the minimum specs. 

1 minute ago, Psych Reaper said:

Witcher 3, guild wars 2, other MMO's with huge player bases, and battles. Maybe some Battlefield games. I also play some RTS games like Total war Warhammer. A little bit of this and that. 

honestly all of those games do well with multicore so i would definitely go with the r5 1600. 

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Source that Linus uses said "97 percent". 

This is also true for Ryzen which is why averages and minimums are both equally important. 

Erm his Ryzen 5 review?

I'm not sure what your second point is talking about xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, NoMercy said:

So i assume your target would be

1080p, 60+fps, high setting (low, medium, high, ultra)

Choice of CPU: 7600k or 1600x (however i do suggest 1600 over 1600x)

Yes, definitely 7600k will win against 1600x in gaming. However since your target fps is just 60+, both can handle perfectly. I would suggest ryzen. It will perform perfectly in 1080p for over 60fps. Anyway, you can choose either of them because your gaming target is quite low actually.

As for graphic high settings, a 1070 will guarantee in all games for 60fps, but 1060 will do most of the games. I would suggest 1070 if you have the budget. Then you can even try ultra for some games.

What mobo would you suggest for the 1600 then? 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

honestly all of those games do well with multicore so i would definitely go with the r5 1600. 

yeah I agree

Just now, DocSwag said:

Erm his Ryzen 5 review?

Ahh, I thought you meant all of his "benches". 

Spoiler

And yes, I'm using "benches" loosely here.

Just now, DocSwag said:

I'm not sure what your second point is talking about xD 

As you deviate the percentiles, outliers for both parties will begin to take average out as the .1% minimum is taking the lowest point/percentage of the results. You need to look at the whole graph and not just the minimums otherwise a CPU that has 90/90 looks better than a CPU that gets 80/120 (min/avg). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

What mobo would you suggest for the 1600 then? 

Definitely B350, you can go for low mid tier board, or pick those motherboard that has the features you need.

Edit: go for Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, or MSI. Their quality and features are really about the same.

It really doesnt matter because low mid tier boards have limited feature anyway.

You dont even need to overclock to reach those 60fps. Overclock will give you better performance ofcourse, maybe extra 10 fps or so.

I'll come back in 8-10 hours i need to sleep I'll post the build on this forum ZZZZZZ btw the graphics card pricing is bonkers due to cryptocurrency a 1060 or rx 580  cost 300 and barely any are available for under 500 they all sell out when they are available so idk

3 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

do you have a copy of windows

No I don't

1 minute ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

I'll come back in 8-10 hours i need to sleep I'll post the build on this forum ZZZZZZ btw the graphics card pricing is bonkers due to cryptocurrency a 1060 or rx 580  cost 300 and barely any are available for under 500 they all sell out when they are available so idk

Alright man, I appreciate the help. Have a goodnight! 

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

As you deviate the percentiles, outliers for both parties will begin to take average out as the .1% minimum is taking the lowest point/percentage of the results. You need to look at the whole graph and not just the minimums otherwise a CPU that has 90/90 looks better than a CPU that gets 80/120 (min/avg). 

Yeah I know, that was my point. If you look at 97 percentile vs 99 percentile a CPU with high averages and low minimums is gonna look better in 97 percentile.

I mean I am looking at the whole graph, I just tend to find minimums more important.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Ryzen or nothing. LGA 1151 is dead, AM4 is supported till 2020.

11 hours ago, Psych Reaper said:

-snip-

Well theres many reasons for going Ryzen here, but the best one i can think of is that the platform and architecture are new, and the socket will evolve from there. Besides that its cheaper and i like the coolers they come out with. But as far as STRICT gaming is concerned, the i5 has the edge(i think)  (not by a huge amount but still)

11 hours ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Are you going to just be gaming or also streaming and editing?

It doesn't matter.  Ryzen 5 is better than an i5 for gaming.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

31 minutes ago, ybriK said:

Ryzen or nothing. LGA 1151 is dead, AM4 is supported till 2020.

Very descriptive answer.

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It doesn't matter.  Ryzen 5 is better than an i5 for gaming.

No, it isn't the 1600x matches the 7600k when overclocked to 4.0 GHz. When the i5 7600k is overclocked it crushes the 1600x in every game. You don't just say a random statement like that without using info to back it up.

Oh yeah sry for not telling you earlier but you can head over to fps.userbenchmark.com it will tell you your Avg fps for different games based on different hardware configs.

31 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Oh yeah sry for not telling you earlier but you can head over to fps.userbenchmark.com it will tell you your Avg fps for different games based on different hardware configs.

Thanks man. It does seem that through this website, that the intel build is slightly better in everything besides workstation.

51 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

No, it isn't the 1600x matches the 7600k when overclocked to 4.0 GHz. When the i5 7600k is overclocked it crushes the 1600x in every game. You don't just say a random statement like that without using info to back it up.

You're basing that on old info.  Developers have been rolling out Ryzen patches.

I should have specified that I'm talking about when combined with fast RAM though. It does very poorly if it's got 2400MHz RAM.  Ryzen really needs 3200MHz RAM.  There also isn't that much difference between them.  It's not like Ryzen will get you way better performance.  Sometimes it's a frame better, sometimes a frame worse.  However, it has more potential.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440