Switching to Noctua Fans, Thoughts?

XDroidie626

Hello All,

So I am currently looking at switching to Noctuas fans on my CPU cooler, mostly for acoustics, I currently do have some SP120 Quiet editions and they are rather loud.

Now I have been looking at the IPPC versions but they are loud, and it defeats the idea of getting new fans, but the color of the standard NF F12 wont go with my build I don't think.

So how do the RPM cables work on the IPPC versions? do you get a decent reduction in noise? or will I have to restore to limiting max RPM to like 1000RPM?

Thoughts?

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Get Be Quiet! Silent Wings fans. They're pretty cheap, coloured black, and almost inaudible at full blast.

Corsair SP fans are a joke, I too have a set unused and they are so noisy with bad cooling capability.

As for Noctua's, if you want something like them without the color scheme, you go for Fractal Venturi.

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Get Be Quiet! Silent Wings fans. They're pretty cheap, coloured black, and almost inaudible at full blast.

Looking at them now specifically the SW3 High speed ones, 77CFM at around 28dBa, Noctuas are 55CFM at 22dBa 

Just now, Mooshi said:

Corsair SP fans are a joke, I too have a set unused and they are so noisy with bad cooling capability.

As for Noctua's, if you want something like them without the color scheme, you go for Fractal Venturi.

Them fractals look good, but don't seem to be as powerful as the recommended silent wings

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Fractal GP14 if you want different color scheme from the noctua, but yeah at least the industrial fans are not loud as blowie matron!

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Actually using NF-F12 PWM , NF-S12A PWM , NF-A15 PWM and NF-A20 PWM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDkwubtWsAA8HXs.jpg:large

They are good fans , i really like the A15, the A20 are nice but got a really huge frame.

I would go for Noctua over Bequiet because, yes Bequiet fans are really quiet.

But the airflow isn't on par with Noctua

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

Just now, Atsura said:

Actually using NF-F12 PWM , NF-S12A PWM , NF-A15 PWM and NF-A20 PWM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDkwubtWsAA8HXs.jpg:large

They are good fans , i really like the A15, the A20 are nice but got a really huge frame.

I would go for Noctua over Bequiet because, yes Bequiet fans are really quiet.

But the airflow isn't on par with Noctua

How so, I have been researching their fin design and its interesting, looking at that color doesn't look to bad with black

3 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

How so, I have been researching their fin design and its interesting, looking at that color doesn't look to bad with black

Yes right? Black and grey is perfect in my opinion!

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

I've just done some quick comparisons between the NF-F12 and SW2.

Regarding air pressure for my radiator the noctua's are much better it seems, but for general airflow I believe the SW3 would be better, so I may end up just getting Noctua for my radiator and SW3 for case fans

The IPPC Fans are fine. the main thing is making sure they are on PWM and have a good fan curve setup. I replaced the stock fans on my H110i GT with a pair of the 3k IPPCs, sure they are a bit loud on startup, once the curve kicks in they are great.

30 minutes ago, Lextan said:

The IPPC Fans are fine. the main thing is making sure they are on PWM and have a good fan curve setup. I replaced the stock fans on my H110i GT with a pair of the 3k IPPCs, sure they are a bit loud on startup, once the curve kicks in they are great.

Yeah but mine run through a fan controller that is wired into the CPU header slot, like all my fans (Design of the Phanteks controller)

I suppose I could do it with the IPPC fans and set the curve in the BIOS.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

I own quite a lot of Corsair SP and ML fans, and I haven't found one yet that wasn't utter garbage.

I use Noctua Industrial PPC PWM fans in my main system, it is easy to set them to run quiet. I run 2 of them off my CPU header with a PWM y-splitter. The fans are expensive (worth it IMO), and the cables have thin multi-coloured wires which are exposed at parts and appear fragile. I would consider them to be more server grade and OTT for most, but are a compromise for those who don't like the standard Noctua aesthetic.

I use Silent Wings Fans 3 in my main system for Intake and exhaust, they are great, I wouldn't get them for use on high density fin radiators though.

I use Fractal Design Venturi PWM fans in some of my systems, they are quite good as well, and were cheaper. They have a lower max RPM than the Noctua fans, although perform very similarly when they are both reduced down to inaudible levels.

3 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

Hello All,

So I am currently looking at switching to Noctuas fans on my CPU cooler, mostly for acoustics, I currently do have some SP120 Quiet editions and they are rather loud.

Now I have been looking at the IPPC versions but they are loud, and it defeats the idea of getting new fans, but the color of the standard NF F12 wont go with my build I don't think.

So how do the RPM cables work on the IPPC versions? do you get a decent reduction in noise? or will I have to restore to limiting max RPM to like 1000RPM?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hello  XDroidie626.

acoustic reasons? where you run them on, do make a costume profile, running till 2000 or 1700 only! These fans are not the acoustic problem, to run near silence till 2000, you run them to high, don't let them! Can you name the board you run them on, running them in full RPM or custom?

28 minutes ago, LucasRem said:

Hello  XDroidie626.

acoustic reasons? where you run them on, do make a costume profile, running till 2000 or 1700 only! These fans are not the acoustic problem, to run near silence till 2000, you run them to high, don't let them! Can you name the board you run them on, running them in full RPM or custom?

Hi LucasRem

Currently my SP120 quiet editions are loud, my PC is currently at idle and they are loud, even though my CPU is only at around 30 degrees C.

I have used custom profiles before but it doesn't seem to make a difference on these fans, the board I run them on is a AB350M-Gaming 3, currently allowing the CPU to control the fan speed.

Thanks. Don't have any Gigabyte experience on setting up up Fan profiles,  Smart Fan 5 features 6 Temperature Sensors and 5 Hybrid Fan Headers, hybrid fan options too, sound to me as a hell of of job to fix. Try to run only 2 PWM fans on PWM fixed, try what speed they run any good on, and to be sure you run them in PWM, and not some low volt junk hybrid mode!

Guess there are a lot of options, guess on other fans you will keep those issues too. Try PWM only, play for it some days....if you can't fix it or know changes that lead to acoustic improvement, let us know.

Noctua's fans are great but expensive. There are alternatives that have a better cost per performance; however, if you want the reliability, name, or the look (for some reason), then it may be valid for you.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 hours ago, Atsura said:

the A20 are nice but got a really huge frame.

That one of the new LCP 200mms or an old one?

sigh, if you are aiming for acoustic then why are you getting a industrial model?

Just stick with whatever you have, i can already see you buying the wrong thing and ending up with a even louder fan.

iPPC's aren't worth getting if you don't need the extra robustness. Normal noctuas are better for acoustics even at the same rpm.

The LNA cables are resistors and aren't worth using if you want to control your fan speeds as opposed to leaving them at a static one.

What are your specs and what speed are you running your SP120 QE's at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.