**WARNING! NEW VIRUS!**

Very recently there has been a new wannacry like virus spreading. It's called 'Petya'. It's based on the same principle as the wannacry virus so make sure your computer is UP TO DATE. Microsoft has solved the original problem that caused the wannacry virus so if your machine is up to date you should be safe. Do your own research! Some have claimed to have found a 'vaccine' for it but make sure YOUR computer is safe! 

Stay safe friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/27/petya-ransomware-cyber-attack-who-what-why-how

I've read about it a few hours ago. It seems it's mostly affecting Ukraine and Russia.

One of the important things to note is that it only needs to affect one machine in a network. Having said that, make sure to update and protect all your machines within your network.

If you get infected with the new flavor of ransomware, IMMEDIATELY ISOLATE THE AFFECTED MACHINE BY TAKING IT OFF OF THE NETWORK. DO NOT PAY THE ASKED SUM.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/27/petya-ransomware-cyber-attack-who-what-why-how

I've read about it a few hours ago. It seems it's mostly affecting Ukraine and Russia.

One of the important things to note is that it only needs to affect one machine in a network. Having said that, make sure to update and protect all your machines within your network.

If you get infected with the new flavor of ransomware, IMMEDIATELY ISOLATE THE AFFECTED MACHINE BY TAKING IT OFF OF THE NETWORK. DO NOT PAY THE ASKED SUM.

This is true but there have even been warnings in New Zealand, and this is the internet, Anything can happen anytime so always be prepared. 

Also if you don't need smb 1 and 2 , just disable them.

To my knowledge , these viruses still initially get installed by conventional means (like downloading virus exe files from emails) and only SPREAD within a network via the smb exploit.

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

People also need to be informed about HOST files.

I don't use antivirus because my HOSTS file and AdBlock takes care of 99.999% of the problems.

Also, I'm not an idiot who tries to download paid things for free from sketchy websites.

Maybe I should be more careful about downloading premiere pro then...

9 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Even if you email them, the email got hacked kek

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Even if you email them, the email got hacked kek

Yeah, well, people are idiots until proven otherwise.

The simple fact that the wallet address has over $6k in it is enough proof of that.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

9 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

This is true but there have even been warnings in New Zealand, and this is the internet, Anything can happen anytime so always be prepared. 

yea if it gets reported in NZ that means it has reached the end of civilisation

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Bitdefender had the courtesy to send me an email today saying they had added Goldeneye/Petya to the protected list.

Btw before anyone says "use of an AV is retarded just be safe" it's definitely not when you manage family computers also. Bitdefender is excellent and very un-intrusive on the OS.

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

yea if it gets reported in NZ that means it has reached the end of civilisation

Unsure what you mean but there are warnings to secure your system. I do not believe there have been any cases yet.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Would be funny if it were even remotely possible.

Sure it is possible when someone uses infected USB sticks or whatever. Sure it is unlikely but they said winning the lottery is too.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Sure it is possible when someone uses infected USB sticks or whatever. Sure it is unlikely but they said winning the lottery is too.

Someone's gotta win it.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

All hardware is vulnerable at a physical level. This was discussed in the thread but i'll say it again for you here: If a person was able to do that then fault would be the security of the vessel and not the OS. Physically interacting with a system will make it vulnerable regardless of the OS.

11 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

Maybe I should be more careful about downloading premiere pro then...

Piracy advocation is against forum rules. Unless you know good, reputable websites to get cracked content from, stay away from it.

9 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Yeah, well, people are idiots until proven otherwise.

The simple fact that the wallet address has over $6k in it is enough proof of that.

Good god, what I'd do with $6K. Wouldn't have a 1050ti FTW, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Piracy advocation is against forum rules. Unless you know good, reputable websites to get cracked content from, stay away from it.

Good god, what I'd do with $6K. Wouldn't have a 1050ti FTW, that's for sure.

Never said I would be downloading it illegally...

32 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Bitdefender had the courtesy to send me an email today saying they had added Goldeneye/Petya to the protected list.

Btw before anyone says "use of an AV is retarded just be safe" it's definitely not when you manage family computers also. Bitdefender is excellent and very un-intrusive on the OS.

41 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

People also need to be informed about HOST files.

I don't use antivirus because my HOSTS file and AdBlock takes care of 99.999% of the problems.

Also, I'm not an idiot who tries to download paid things for free from sketchy websites.

I think antivirus is like a seatbelt for a computer. It'll be there for you when careless mistakes are made. You can have the safest browsing habit in the world and use sandbox, virtualization etc. But a non-techie friend passing you some files on an infected USB drive, could ruins all that.

Some of the affected compaines:
Danish company Maesk
Pharmaceutical company Merck (US)
UK advertizing firm WPP
A major shipping firm in the Netherlands
Russian oil company Rosneft
Multiple state owned companies and telecommunication companies in Ukraine
Chocolate factory in Australia

Also reported affected in these countries, but I dont know what companies:
Spain
Israel
Germany
France
India
Poland
Italy

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking