PC gaming tips and hints (keyboard and mouse)

Hi guys

In the last year I've made the switch from consoles and I love it, but I won't go it to that. My problem is that I'm still struggling with the keyboard and mouse, well to be honest just the keyboard really.

And hints, help, tutorials etc would be much appreciated??

Thanks

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

Not sure i think you should eventually get used to it after you use it a lot.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

It depends what you're struggling with. Could you explain more? Such as where your fingers rest or what your hand position is.

Practice is always the best way. 

And welcome to The PC Master Race.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

What is there to struggle with on the keyboard? It's just pressing keys.

Practice

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

best help I can really think of is use it alot. Use it for gaming, use it for your homework or whatever and you'll eventually get used to it.

It depends what you're struggling with. Could you explain more? Such as where your fingers rest or what your hand position is.

Practice is always the best way.

And welcome to The PC Master Race.

Thanks lol. My left hand just rest on wasd. Your probably just right about the practice. I just seem to have to keep looking at the keyboard where as the controller was just like part of my hard I didn't think about it.

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

Yes my friend i have to keep looking at the keyboard. I have some moments of awsum then just get completely muddled and then have a fail.

Yes my friend i have to keep looking at the keyboard. I have some moments of awsum then just get completely muddled and then have a fail.

could you post a pic of your key board?

could you post a pic of your key board?

I can't right now, but it's a K70

Thanks lol. My left hand just rest on wasd. Your probably just right about the practice. I just seem to have to keep looking at the keyboard where as the controller was just like part of my hard I didn't think about it.

Although this may not be the best idea, I would suggest that you change binds around to where you know they are and not the letter that it is default set to. If you set it up so that you know the placement of the key rather then the letter you will not need to look at what you are pressing.

The reason i say it may be a bad idea to change binds is that in a lot of games the binds tend to be the same so you may end up being forced to rebind every thing you play after that. There are a few people i know that started gaming one someone else's computer and have had to rebind every game since to a set up that to me seems wrong. I have even done this to some degree after playing on a laptop for a few years I have to always change duck and walk in cs because where control key was on a normal keyboard was the fn key on the laptop.

With time you will get to know most game setups if you continue to play with the normal binds as only a few commands tend to move around.

It is just practice. And make sure that games in the same genre have the same (or as close as possible) to the same key bindings for doing certain things. 

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Honestly? Practice. After years of gaming consoles I went to the PC Master Race and like you, getting used to the keyboard and mouse is hard. I can assure you though, it will get better in time and you will build muscle memory knowing where your most used keys are; I used to be bad using it, in BF3 I sucked bad. But now I'm much much better, it takes time.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Honestly? Practice. After years of gaming consoles I went to the PC Master Race and like you, getting used to the keyboard and mouse is hard. I can assure you though, it will get better in time and you will build muscle memory knowing where your most used keys are; I used to be bad using it, in BF3 I sucked bad. But now I'm much much better, it takes time.

Yeah I think more hours are required. I seem to do ok at Bioshock single player, then I had a bash on BF4 and got completely smashed......again.....and again lol.

Yeah I think more hours are required. I seem to do ok at Bioshock single player, then I had a bash on BF4 and got completely smashed......again.....and again lol.

You will get better honestly, it takes time. I had a go at Ghosts for the 360; I couldn't use the pad for an FPS anymore, dear god I was bad, but I used to use one really well :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

You will get better honestly, it takes time. I had a go at Ghosts for the 360; I couldn't use the pad for an FPS anymore, dear god I was bad, but I used to use one really well :P

I can't believe I got conned into buying ghosts. I was mugged lol. As far as the keyboard goes my friend said to try an online typing tutorial to learn the keys more. What ya reckon?

I can't believe I got conned into buying ghosts. I was mugged lol. As far as the keyboard goes my friend said to try an online typing tutorial to learn the keys more. What ya reckon?

You can try by all means, but it will come "Naturally", just do what you do and you will improve. As the ol' saying goes; "Practice makes perfect".

You can try by all means, but it will come "Naturally", just do what you do and you will improve. As the ol' saying goes; "Practice makes perfect".

Will do, on the upside it the mouse, how awsum is aiming with a mouse compared to bloody joysticks on the pad! And the graphics, ohh the graphics. The first game I played on my newly build pc was farcry 3 about a year back and it was just beautiful.

Textured WASD key caps can help. If replacing the key caps isn't an option you can do something to the existing caps like put a dab of superglue or maybe scratch them...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Textured WASD key caps can help. If replacing the key caps isn't an option you can do something to the existing caps like put a dab of superglue or maybe scratch them...

Yeah the keyboard came with textured wasd and 1-6 which it brill, if anything it's the ctrl and shift I struggled with and then I panic.....look down and then usually die hahaha. I just need to get on more and practice....

Any particular games that you guys think are best for practice?

Alzymer

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Yeah the keyboard came with textured wasd and 1-6 which it brill, if anything it's the ctrl and shift I struggled with and then I panic.....look down and then usually die hahaha. I just need to get on more and practice....

Any particular games that you guys think are best for practice?

I never use that ctrl-shift BS. My mini finger is resting all the time

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

sit on forums allday and post your opinions on everything, even if its bad.

Its a good way to get to know your keyboard and learn how to type with speed.

Character artist in the Games industry.

Alzymer

Alzymer??

I never use that ctrl-shift BS. My mini finger is resting all the time

So what you use to sprint n crouch