can i build a hot plate by just pumping electricity through wire?

Legolessed
34 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I am actually licensed in nz so do not tell me what is legal when it is not. Like I said you must be in a developing country to be allowed to build an appliance without license. In a country with standards, anything that connects to mains must comply and go through a safety check by a licensed worker.

but what if we dont live in new zealand? ive seen lots of people build stuf and use mains power to power it without any license, if it is illegal, its not enforced.

7 hours ago, Legolessed said:

but what if we dont live in new zealand? ive seen lots of people build stuf and use mains power to power it without any license, if it is illegal, its not enforced.

Police do not do random inspections of your house do they. Most people have the ethical philosophy that if authorities are not watching then the law does not apply. I would not encourage people to play with mains. Especially not young people who have no construction safety training. A lot of people do not know that if you get electrocuted you can die 12 hours later in your sleep, so when you get electrocuted you are suppose to go to a hospital and have your heart checked even if you feel fine

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Police do not do random inspections of your house do they. Most people have the ethical philosophy that if authorities are not watching then the law does not apply. I would not encourage people to play with mains. Especially not young people who have no construction safety training. A lot of people do not know that if you get electrocuted you can die 12 hours later in your sleep, so when you get electrocuted you are suppose to go to a hospital and have your heart checked even if you feel fine

it depends on the ampage of the shock. Getting shocked by a standard wall outlet shouldnt make you go into cardiac arrest. A lightning bolt or power line, yessir.

42 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

it depends on the ampage of the shock. Getting shocked by a standard wall outlet shouldnt make you go into cardiac arrest. A lightning bolt or power line, yessir.

You should go do the safety course required to work in industry. What you have said is nonsense. Voltage is required to penetrate skin. 50v for tough skin like hands and 12v for soft skin like wrists. Total damage is not just the current but also the length of time you were electricuted for. There is also a huge difference on which part of your body and which muscles contract under shock. Like I said even if you don't die immediately you can die later on in your sleep due to the hearts rhythm getting out of sync. The condition has a name similar to ventrical fibrilation

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

25 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You should go do the safety course required to work in industry. What you have said is nonsense. Voltage is required to penetrate skin. 50v for tough skin like hands and 12v for soft skin like wrists. Total damage is not just the current but also the length of time you were electricuted for. There is also a huge difference on which part of your body and which muscles contract under shock. Like I said even if you don't die immediately you can die later on in your sleep due to the hearts rhythm getting out of sync. The condition has a name similar to ventrical fibrilation

obviously, I was trying to write a sentence, not an essay m8. I'm not an idiot lol.

11 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

obviously, I was trying to write a sentence, not an essay m8. I'm not an idiot lol.

Captain obvious says you are giving false legal advice and your safety advice is deadly. I'm not interested in this conversation. I just don't want OP to receive some false information off an internet forum

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

38 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Captain obvious says you are giving false legal advice and your safety advice is deadly. I'm not interested in this conversation. I just don't want OP to receive some false information off an internet forum

False legal advice in new Zealand. You don't know where I live. For all anyone knows I could be a Martian xD. I am OP

34 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

What are you talking about? Its not illegal to work with mains yourself. Not in the united states at least. As long as you are not an idiot and take common sense precautions like not working with live wires you will be fine. It doesn't take a genius to be safe around mains power

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

44 minutes ago, bob345 said:

What are you talking about? Its not illegal to work with mains yourself. Not in the united states at least. As long as you are not an idiot and take common sense precautions like not working with live wires you will be fine. It doesn't take a genius to be safe around mains power

I told you I am not interested in this conversation. Do your homework on your state's regulations. http://www.necanet.org/professional-development/careers-in-electrical-contracting/licensure/state-code-licensing-requirements/state-electrical-regulations

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Did you even read what you sent? Getting licensed to work professionally and working on your own stuff are two VERY different things. It is perfectly fine for a person to do mains work on their own property.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 hour ago, bob345 said:

Did you even read what you sent? Getting licensed to work professionally and working on your own stuff are two VERY different things. It is perfectly fine for a person to do mains work on their own property.

no it varies between state and city. There are standards that must be applied and often appliances must be only be worked on by a person who has training and/or registration with a utility or board. Telling people who have no education that they can do whatever they want is just wrong and dangerous. Go do some research and dont tell people that mains voltage is safe.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Legolessed said:

how should i do it then?

wire 0 ohm rating bad heating element

need something that has natural resistence to electrical flow(hence the heating)

last i knew hotplates can be grabbed at walmart for 30 bucks or goodwill for 5 bucks

another words do not build yourself

but if you must fiddle get the heating element out of 110 electric dryer and use heating torch to heat up and wrap into a spiral coil

get a proper ?rheostat? control to control the current flow and properly ground unit

but still easier to buy a hotplate