Windows 10 source code leaked?!

1 minute ago, ElfFriend said:

So does this mean Windows is offically "Opensource" :P

On a serious note if I was more skilled I'd totally try to make my own version of Windows using this.

If only it were that simple. As far as I can tell there is no where near enough to build your own version of windows. I guess we can always dream though ;).

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Beta Archive says it is linked. They hacked, released the source code, got visibility after a few days after their arrest,

Ah right, I wonder if they will be taken to the USA to be charged. They have already been charged in the UK under the Computer Misuse Act. I'm not a lawyer, I wouldn't know :P

Just now, Gwion101 said:

Ah right, I wonder if they will be taken to the USA to be charged. They have already been charged in the UK under the Computer Misuse Act. I'm not a lawyer, I wouldn't know :P

Good question. I don't know.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

/*
       TOP SECRET Microsoft(c)  Code
       Project: Chicago(tm)
       Projected release-date: Summer 1998
     */

#include "win31.h"
      #include "win95.h"
      #include "evenmore.h"
      #include "oldstuff.h"
      #include "billrulz.h"
      #define INSTALL = HARD

char make_prog_look_big[1600000];

void main()
      {
          while(!CRASHED)
         {
              display_copyright_message();
              display_bill_rules_message();
              do_nothing_loop();
              if (first_time_installation)
              {
                 make_50_megabyte_swapfile();
                 do_nothing_loop();
                 totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
                 search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
                 hang_system();
              }
              write_something(anything);
              do_nothing_loop();
              do_some_stuff();
              if (still_not_crashed)
              {
                  do_nothing_loop();
                  basically_run_windows_3.1();
                  do_nothing_loop();
                  do_nothing_loop();
              }
          }

if (detect_cache())
             disable_cache();

if (fast_cpu())
          {
              set_wait_states(lots);
              set_mouse(speed, very_slow);
              set_mouse(action, jumpy);
              set_mouse(reaction, sometimes);
          }

/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); */
         /* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */
         printf("Welcome to Windows 98");
         if (system_ok())
               {
               bsod(random_err());
               crash(to_dos_prompt);
               }
         else
              system_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp", O_CREATE);

while(something)
         {
              sleep(5);
              get_user_input();
              sleep(5);
              act_on_user_input();
              sleep(5);
         }
         create_general_protection_fault();
     }

That seems surprisingly accurate

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Gwion101 said:

*not a lawyer so don't know but my understanding is...

They will be arrested and charged under UK law as it was the UK where they committed the crime but the US can request and extradition order to have them tried in the US and serve their sentence in an American prison but in cases involving computer misuse this is rarely done.

I'm basing this on what happened with Lizard Squad, a large amount of those caught were from the UK and I remember a news article saying the US could ask for them to be extradited but likely wouldn't as there's a close parity in punishment for the crime in the UK and USA anyway.

Again, not a lawyer, could be totally wrong.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, Gwion101 said:

Obviously this causes concern as it poses a threat to user security, as now malicious hackers have intricate resources to aid in finding harmful exploits.

Really?  How do you think?  Open source software manages to be publicly available without posing a threat to security just fine.  The only way this would be a problem is if the design was fundamentally bad and relied on people not knowing things for it to be secure, rather than relying on actual security.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Really?  How do you think?  Open source software manages to be publicly available without posing a threat to security just fine.  The only way this would be a problem is if the design was fundamentally bad and relied on people not knowing things for it to be secure, rather than relying on actual security.

This is bad, and its not a parallel situation to something like the linux kernel. Open source "works" because having everyone see it exposes the bugs, lots of the people looking at it will either PR a fix for bugs they find or at the very least disclose it responsibly, they are invested in the success of the system. It is very unlikely that someone looking at leaked sources from a proprietary OS like windows has any good intentions primarily due to the risks of being caught with a copy. Bugs found in this leak will become zero day exploits.

This makes me think internal security inside Microsoft isn't good enough. Do they not have ID card locks reserved for employees with limited privileges? I guess losing an iPhone prototype back and leak it to Gizmodo back in 2003 is better. 

I don't think leaking the Windows source code would suddenly make all Windows 10 users extremely vulnerable since a lot of countries including China have the access to the source code way back 2003. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows will eventually be open source

Probably not yet but I think they'll probably use more open source materials in Windows. I guess Microsoft has realized that security by obscurity isn't working. Just look at Apple, they use an open source UNIX kernel as the basis of iOS and macOS but they still control as to which devices it can run on. Steve Jobs even made the WebKit layout engine open source which is being used by Safari, Chrome, Opera, and others. 

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Seeing that Microsoft is making more and more things open source, and that eventually everyone will be on Windows 10, so no money coming in from sales, it would indicate that probably Windows will eventually be open source, like Android. Microsoft will make its money, similarly to Android, with the Store, Office, services (Cortana, Bind ads, OneDrive, Skype, Groove Music, etc.), and support. They'll probably sale certified and supported via Windows Update of Windows. And if someone wants to make its own distro.. they can, but of course it can't use Windows Updates, unless the code is the same as the official one, and then it will be Similarly to Android, although you'll face with the same problems, where distros take time to get security updates or even never get them, because it isn't stock Windows.

I would donate my time to help maintain a community windows build. IMO it's a pipe dream, but one can hope. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Some tailored exploits could crop out, but that's not really what Microsoft would be most concerned about.  The two major issues:

1) Lot of bad press because the crop of bad code could be legendary.

2) What the NSA has paid to be in there.

The first would cause a decade of jokes in the tech industry; the latter could cause monster lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Some tailored exploits could crop out, but that's not really what Microsoft would be most concerned about.  The two major issues:

1) Lot of bad press because the crop of bad code could be legendary.

2) What the NSA has paid to be in there.

The first would cause a decade of jokes in the tech industry; the latter could cause monster lawsuits.

There could be a lot of annoyed people on this forum if:

1. the code turns out to be quite well written for what it is.

2. They find virtually nothing but patches that predate NSA leaks.

Of course it is highly unlikely that any of the code will include something that can be undeniably linked to any of the alleged NSA stuff.  So if it does I fully expect someone at MS to be thoroughly scapegoated for being messy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if MS can't protect their own source code, how can we expect them to protect all the data they collect from our PCs?!

It's not safe, no one can protect data even without leaks, if the NSA,CIA et al want it, they'll take it.  IF the movies have taught me anything, it's that nothing is impossible.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

It's not safe, no one can protect data even without leaks, if the NSA,CIA et al want it, they'll take it.  IF the movies have taught me anything, it's that nothing is impossible.

except this is neither fantasy nor fiction

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except this is neither fantasy nor fiction

true, But do you think there are cases where data is safe?  I certainly don't.

Thank GOD I don't use Windows anymore.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually the main concern would not be user security but government entities potentially losing their backdoors and Microsoft themselves losing revenue from up-selling the data they collect.

For security the fact that the code is out doesn't makes it inherently less secure: You can have access to every single line of code for Linux and it's still used in enterprise level. It's not perfect and has as many security holes as Microsoft OS servers but they're not inherently worst

worse

Wasn't it clarified by certain admin that it was like 1.2GB of files nothing like 32TB though. 

Though imagine the while source code got released/leaked it would show how the OS runs under the hood as far as certain diagnostics and collection. Just how much it works to actually improve it self and how much it phones home in just spying sense.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Windows 10, now the most unsecured OS to have ever been created. Thanks, Microsoft.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

i really wish that happened, im so sick of MS and Apple, i wish both their products source code get leaked and then custom stuff popping all over the place making them to go open source as well or something BIG in favor of us all, and its not just MS or Apple i wish plans for building various medical drugs/devices,  technologies, patents everything to get leaked on the internet so people build their own stuff no more capitalist monopoly trash, would be orgasmic, dont care about the losses i really hate capitalism so idc, ofcourse dont leak the nuke blueprints and its ok then the rest can be leaked

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

i really wish that happened, im so sick of MS and Apple, i wish both their products source code get leaked and then custom stuff popping all over the place making them to go open source as well or something BIG in favor of us all, and its not just MS or Apple i wish plans for building various medical drugs/devices,  technologies, patents everything to get leaked on the internet so people build their own stuff no more capitalist monopoly trash, would be orgasmic, dont care about the losses i really hate capitalism so idc, ofcourse dont leak the nuke blueprints and its ok then the rest can be leaked

Capitalism has always worked successfully for human kind. From exchanging goods and services in the areas before money, to the creation of money. Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, in his world, the human discovery of aliens was so shocking to the human race that greed vanished, and working our best daily for simply the greater good, is what pushed space explorations and the way of life. I mean the concept of replicators is what eliminated just about anything (farming, factories for most products, etc), teleporters eliminated the concept of transportation industry, beside teleporters makers. Sadly, it is sci-fictions, and humans being humans, if that would happen, well we will all be lazy, do minimum efforts, half ass everything, and introduction compensations, pushes mistakes like Chernobyl, where everything was done to please the government as everyone wanted that heavy compensation, a good place to live in the region. so wrong materials were used in the plant to finish construction well before deadlines, safety measures were skipped the reactor up and running, and the test that created the mess was due to government personnel/scientist hiding critical information, and ignore reactor warnings and again safety measures to hope to impress the government. So great on paper idea, but doesn't work.

In a capitalist model, despite its many flaws, so far, allowed civilization to strive, and that is the fact of life. Just look at the Roman times. However, one can argue that the real solution is a hybrid-capitalist model, which many countries follow, where you have a mixture of government services to help those in need, set all sorts of regulations forcing everyone to take care of the environment, be safe, health care to all, emergency funds and services, ensure safe work environment, ensures that products purchase by the consumer is safe, control market, etc... Is that perfect? Nothing is, as humans aren't machines. But one can argue that it is better than raw capitalism, and isn't limited by any roof to improve. Now, one can point to corruption and lobbying ruining everything. True, but in all models this applies. However, one can argue that the government reflect the population. If the government is super corrupt, a good chance the majority of the population would act the same way. It is a cultural thing. And example that got my attention in the news recently, is Lebanon, they are having some kind of government level dispute, and with corruption in place, they fight on which company to go for, that's right, 1 company for the whole country, to manage the trash. Looking deeper at the at the culture of the country, you can see corruption is everywhere... you get a ticket from the police, give him money and that ticket is gone... wants express government service, money, building inspector not improving your construction, give a few bills and that solves everything. Right now, (or well I don't know the situation as we speak, but several months ago) reports shows that they are trash everywhere, like in parks, around houses, no one knows where to put it. Very shocking images I saw. Now the big question is, why aren't you have having communities forming and dealing with this for the greater good. You know, even if you don't care, and you may want to do it for your kids so that they don't get sick, and you have serious diseases.... well, apparently, no one gives a damn. Everyone lives for themselves. Not even for their kids. Quiet shocking and interesting. Now, I don't live there, and I am sure someone who does, might be able to correct many things stated here. But at least, in the news, this is what is shown. Another example is Greece and South Italy, where they want governmental service, but no one pay taxes, with lots of under the table transactions, well we saw the results. But overall, as we can see from history, things are improving as a whole. Some areas go down, but over time lessons are learned and things get better.

I guess, after thinking about it, it might be best for one to move in a region in the world that best fit their culture, ethical believes, and better fit overall. This reminds me of a story of where a co-worker, female, left her country because she wanted to be independent, work for herself, but she was an environment where women stays at home, and married with one of the same region else it is an insult for the country. I have no idea on the heavy challenges and the rupture it did her family, but she is happy.

Anyway, I don't want to start a political debate here, just wanted to share some food for thoughts.

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

dont care about the losses i really hate capitalism so idc, ofcourse dont leak the nuke blueprints and its ok then the rest can be leaked

Ugh! Communist! Not you dear...

5950688307055_giphy(13).gif.74d3b02fec1a05f35569f70d3dd25184.gif

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Capitalism has always worked successfully for human kind. From exchanging goods and services in the areas before money, to the creation of money. Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, in his world, the human discovery of aliens was so shocking to the human race that greed vanished, and working our best daily for simply the greater good, is what pushed space explorations and the way of life. I mean the concept of replicators is what eliminated just about anything (farming, factories for most products, etc), teleporters eliminated the concept of transportation industry, beside teleporters makers. Sadly, it is sci-fictions, and humans being humans, if that would happen, well we will all be lazy, do minimum efforts, half ass everything, and introduction compensations, pushes mistakes like Chernobyl, where everything was done to please the government as everyone wanted that heavy compensation, a good place to live in the region. so wrong materials were used in the plant to finish construction well before deadlines, safety measures were skipped the reactor up and running, and the test that created the mess was due to government personnel/scientist hiding critical information, and ignore reactor warnings and again safety measures to hope to impress the government. So great on paper idea, but doesn't work.

In a capitalist model, despite its many flaws, so far, allowed civilization to strive, and that is the fact of life. Just look at the Roman times. However, one can argue that the real solution is a hybrid-capitalist model, which many countries follow, where you have a mixture of government services to help those in need, set all sorts of regulations forcing everyone to take care of the environment, be safe, health care to all, emergency funds and services, ensure safe work environment, ensures that products purchase by the consumer is safe, control market, etc... Is that perfect? Nothing is, as humans aren't machines. But one can argue that it is better than raw capitalism, and isn't limited by any roof to improve. Now, one can point to corruption and lobbying ruining everything. True, but in all models this applies. However, one can argue that the government reflect the population. If the government is super corrupt, a good chance the majority of the population would act the same way. It is a cultural thing. And example that got my attention in the news recently, is Lebanon, they are having some kind of government level dispute, and with corruption in place, they fight on which company to go for, that's right, 1 company for the whole country, to manage the trash. Looking deeper at the at the culture of the country, you can see corruption is everywhere... you get a ticket from the police, give him money and that ticket is gone... wants express government service, money, building inspector not improving your construction, give a few bills and that solves everything. Right now, (or well I don't know the situation as we speak, but several months ago) reports shows that they are trash everywhere, like in parks, around houses, no one knows where to put it. Very shocking images I saw. Now the big question is, why aren't you have having communities forming and dealing with this for the greater good. You know, even if you don't care, and you may want to do it for your kids so that they don't get sick, and you have serious diseases.... well, apparently, no one gives a damn. Everyone lives for themselves. Not even for their kids. Quiet shocking and interesting. Now, I don't live there, and I am sure someone who does, might be able to correct many things stated here. But at least, in the news, this is what is shown. Another example is Greece and South Italy, where they want governmental service, but no one pay taxes, with lots of under the table transactions, well we saw the results. But overall, as we can see from history, things are improving as a whole. Some areas go down, but over time lessons are learned and things get better.

I guess, after thinking about it, it might be best for one to move in a region in the world that best fit their culture, ethical believes, and better fit overall. This reminds me of a story of where a co-worker, female, left her country because she wanted to be independent, work for herself, but she was an environment where women stays at home, and married with one of the same region else it is an insult for the country. I have no idea on the heavy challenges and the rupture it did her family, but she is happy.

Anyway, I don't want to start a political debate here, just wanted to share some food for thoughts.

IMHO, the best model is a free trade single currency model with regulations on unfair trade practices.   People get to chose which business model they wish to support and which products they wish to buy.  If you want to be rich you have to provide what people want, not find an underhanded way to con, defraud or cheat your way to the top.

Way to get my hopes up... 

It would be interesting if it actually did happen. 

On 6/26/2017 at 7:18 AM, LAwLz said:

Way to get my hopes up... 

It would be interesting if it actually did happen. 

Interesting is right.  Obviously it would take a very long time to go through properly, especially since (I've heard) even some Microsoft employees don't fully understand parts of it, but it would start a whole new wave of conspiracies and arguments.  There would be lots of insights into the security, any backdoors if present, and of course the data collection / telemetry.  And you would then have, if it shows everything is good, people claiming it's a fake leak intended to ease people's minds, or if it's bad, people claiming it's a fake leak intended to scare everyone and put them off it. xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.