Looking in to buying a Nintendo Switch but is it worth it?

Marshnt
8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

.... to sell more units, Nintendo makes most of the profit from software. 

But they can't keep up with the demand at $300. Once they start sitting on store shelves then it might make sense to lower the price to try to maximize profit. Though with how good Super Mario Odyssey looks it wouldn't surprise me to see another Wii situation where demand is so high they're tough to find the entire first year after launch. 

Personally, I love my switch but I wish I had more games for it. I had a Wii U so I didn't feel the need to get Mario Kart 8, but Breath of the Wild is amazing, I'm looking forward to Splatoon 2 in a couple days and Mario Odyssey looks incredible as well. It just depends on your tastes really. Even with the overall poor performance of the Wii U, I still had a lot of fun. The switch looks to be delivering so much more of what I want though so I'd say the future is bright (I mean holy cow Metroid Prime 4 though).

From what's been said earlier, I do agree that a PC+Nintendo console is the way to go if you're into experiencing most of what the industry has to offer in addition to having great Nintendo games. However, the switch legitimately has me question sometimes whether or not I want to get it on there or on my PC for the sole reason of being able to take it wherever I go (I Am Setsuna is a good example of that).

On 7/19/2017 at 2:00 AM, nerdslayer1 said:

.... to sell more units, Nintendo makes most of the profit from software. 

Have they fixed any kinks with software in games like botw between tv and handheld?

16 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Have they fixed any kinks with software in games like botw between tv and handheld?

mostly, still, some frame drops, 99.99% of the game is fine. 

32 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

mostly, still, some frame drops, 99.99% of the game is fine. 

What is your preferred play style hand held or tv mode? 

Just now, ripper101 said:

What is your preferred play style hand held or tv mode? 

I like both, if i had to choose i would go for TV mode but usually use handheld. 

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I like both, if i had to choose i would go for TV mode but usually use handheld. 

Is the fan in it loud?

On 7/19/2017 at 7:18 PM, Bugalet said:

Personally, I love my switch but I wish I had more games for it. I had a Wii U so I didn't feel the need to get Mario Kart 8, but Breath of the Wild is amazing, I'm looking forward to Splatoon 2 in a couple days and Mario Odyssey looks incredible as well. It just depends on your tastes really. Even with the overall poor performance of the Wii U, I still had a lot of fun. The switch looks to be delivering so much more of what I want though so I'd say the future is bright (I mean holy cow Metroid Prime 4 though).

From what's been said earlier, I do agree that a PC+Nintendo console is the way to go if you're into experiencing most of what the industry has to offer in addition to having great Nintendo games. However, the switch legitimately has me question sometimes whether or not I want to get it on there or on my PC for the sole reason of being able to take it wherever I go (I Am Setsuna is a good example of that).

Seems to be the only issue with it to me. But I guess if there's a lot of them sold game devs will be happy to sell to a big audience 

On 6/17/2017 at 7:22 PM, Marshnt said:

Looking in to buying a Nintendo Switch but is it worth it? Money ins't the problem just the normal Nintendo fetish vs the PC Master Race complex.

If you would like to play your game on counch in the living room/family room, I would suggest the switch. For pc, I would only pick it if I would like to upgrade in a short time frame (which can cost alot). 

Edited by Andrew.Phourcheu

13 hours ago, ripper101 said:

Seems to be the only issue with it to me. But I guess if there's a lot of them sold game devs will be happy to sell to a big audience 

Yeah, third parties at least seem supportive of it. Instead of giving the whole "it's an interesting piece of hardware but nah" they actually seem to at least be considering porting games to it. Bethesda is a pretty big deal (even though Skyrim is practically on your smart fridge by now but still) and I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not it gets third party support. Even if it doesn't, Nintendo almost always has a killer first party lineup that I really enjoy, so that will keep me content regardless of the outcome.

I have acquired the Switch about a week ago, and I must say, I am having a lot of fun with it. I have it hooked up with my desktop monitor, and when I want to play anywhere else, I just pull it out and play. Something I enjoy a lot, especially that I am sitting down all day at work, it is nice to play anywhere else than on a chair. While I only have Zelda (the console is 400$ and the games at 80$ each in Canada 'cause of our lovely dollar... so as you can imagine... its not cheap.... I have to wait a bit to get more games., but so far I am having a lot of fun. Zelda is a bug enough game that I see getting 200h of gameplay so no rush in getting other games).

I did try one of the test fire of Splatoon 2, looks like fun, but I only had time to play 3 matches.

Now, the online mokery thing called online from Nintendo, is something I already expected... In fact.. I am surprised is has voice chat. The app does look cool though. Perhaps the best implementation of gaming app so far, from the videos I see from it. I don't know if the voice chat only though the app is because Nintendo wants to push people to use their app, and not be forgotten like Sony's and Microsoft one, but regardless, even without the issues, it is just as bad as PS4 VR cable monstrosity of a mess. But personally, I am used to play Nintendo system online with Skype. So, meh... not a killer, and expected that before I bough the system. The online experience form what I read, saw, and played is MUCH improved over the WiiU one. So that is nice.

Id wait till its cheaper. I don't think its worth the price currently since you do not get any sort of game with it. ( At least last I checked) If I were you, I would wait till the holidays to see if I could get one for the price of an Nvidia Shield. Just my opinion of course. Though if your a fan of Nintendo, go for it. Thats just a price conscious perspective. After moving to PC I pay way more attention to prices. Lol :)

On 7/20/2017 at 10:30 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

nope 

Do you know if they're planning to add YouTube or anything to the Switch? Cause I have one now and it doesn't seem like there's much to do with it atm

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Do you know if they're planning to add YouTube or anything to the Switch? Cause I have one now and it doesn't seem like there's much to do with it atm

not yet, Nintendo is planning on bringing those over to the switch. 

Cause I have one now and it doesn't seem like there's much to do with it atm

play games on it, what games do you have so far? 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not yet, Nintendo is planning on bringing those over to the switch. 

play games on it, what games do you have so far? 

only Zelda

only Zelda

other than buying more games, not much you can do, at least until the update where they bring things like youtube and a fully functional browser. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

other than buying more games, not much you can do, at least until the update where they bring things like youtube and a fully functional browser. 

hey should I be afraid to dock my switch? Because I saw the dock supposedly was scratching screens

Just now, ripper101 said:

hey should I be afraid to dock my switch? Because I saw the dock supposedly was scratching screens

you should be good, get a screen protector if you are worried. 

28 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

If you are concerned (please note that these issues that should be resolved by now, if you want to inspect to ensure 0 problem):

1. Once you have the Switch, make sure that the device is perfectly flat on the back. No small bumps visible or that you can feel as you slide your finger between the back of the switch and the attached joycons. This is an assembly issue that was reported where the back peace was not installed correctly. If it not right, send it under warranty to Nintendo (call them up, they are super nice! They'll pay for shipping both directions!), and the company will ship back to you the unit. Some people who has the triangle screw driver bit fixes that themselves. If you are interested, all you need to do, is on the affected side, loosen a bit the screws of the rail dock, and the back of the system, then press in the back to snap it in place, and screw back the back, and then tighten up the metal rail.

This issue is related to the scratch and crack of the system.

2. Make sure that the dock slot is straight. You can use the penny trick, where a US or Canadian penny should slide on the side of the dock properly, and you should not notice that the dock is bent.

659ac46501b430ef14fe2873f66b221f4e25097b

This issue is related to the scratch of the screen of the system. To ensure no scratch form dust or debris that might fall in the dock, get a screen protector. I use a glass screen protector. I got the thinnest one (and cheapest). The glass screen protector shows more that you have one over a plastic sheet one, but it is a really transparent, no waves visible as you tilt the device, and no blue or yellow tint (common on plastic sheet screen protector), and feels better to the touch. It does not interfere with the dock or touch screen.

I got the "Orzly Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Twin Pack" on Amazon. 10$ Canadian with free shipping, shipping fulfilled by Amazon. It comes with 2 as the name suggests in the case you screw up. I screwed up the first one. The screen protector is edge to edge perfect, so you have to take your time to get the angle properly.

If the dock is bent, you can try and bend it back open and see if it sticks, or better yet, contact Nintendo for issuing a warranty replacement. Again, Nintendo service is really good, the people are super nice, and shipping is paid both directions.

3. If you want to ensure that the back of the system isn't scratch, you can look into getting thin rubber pads. I will order for experimentation purposes (and not that I am actually concerned), 0.5mm thick silicon/rubber pads which you can insert and stick on the back of the dock. Mine should take a month to arrive as it comes from China (I didn't want to spend more as again, I am doing it for educational purpose.

Hmm.. I think that is it. But in reality, it should be all none issue today. My Switch came in perfect condition, if you wonder. Granted it doesn't guaranty anything, but I stop seeing reported issues, or it definitely diminished.

56 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:If you are concerned (please note that these issues that should be resolved by now, if you want to inspect to ensure 0 problem):

I purchased my Nintendo Switch 2 days ago from a BestBuy store and it was the only one there. I have some concerns with my unit and I am not sure if they're even major or anything. 

1. The right trigger button (ZR) from the Joycon feels looser than the left button (the trigger moves with before it clicks down whereas the left trigger is stiff and only clicks). This isn't too much of a big deal but it's a little annoying and I am not sure if it is normal or not.

2. The wifi is on and off and I'm probably 15 feet away from my router (though there are obstacles). I am still not sure if this is fairly normal.

3. I almost want to say that my Switch was used when I bought it "new". I think this because there were 2 scratches on the back of the tablet that I noticed a day later so I am not completely sure if it was me or not. Not sure if this is something worth returning it to the store for

Not sure what you mean by feeling the back so I posted took a few pictures.

9 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

-snip-

New thread material... IMO though I'd exchange it at BestBuy

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

32 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

New thread material... IMO though I'd exchange it at BestBuy

I just don't want to lose my save data haha

13 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

I just don't want to lose my save data haha

Give Nintendo a call. They'll take care of everything, including transferring your saved data.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Give Nintendo a call. They'll take care of everything, including transferring your saved data.

They will replace a console for it having scratches on the back or it having a loose trigger? I just don't want to sound goofy when I call about something that probably wasn't their fault or something that isn't gameplay breaking (loose trigger). Thanks. 

Also, do you know how long it would take with shipping and everything?