Sound card = waste of money?

Cs342

I was just curious, how many of you can actually tell the difference between onboard audio and a dedicated soundcard? I have noticed that my headphones are very quiet when plugged into my rear panel audio, maybe a sound card would fix this as well as improve sound quality?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

there is a big difference

to me

and your headphones maybe its ohm are high

and go for it if you never tried it ,even a 20$ sound card makes a huge difference 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

When I put a sound card (Xonar DG) to my old motherboard with a Via audio chip, there was a definite improvement. Later I got a whole new motherboard with a newer Realtek chip and I could not hear any real difference between the (old) sound card and the on-board chip. If you have a "modern" motherboard, sound card is most likely a waste of money.

If the headphones are quiet, then you need an amp, not a sound card. Although a sound card can have an amp with it.

I dont know many whonwouldnt notice the difference. I do know some people who just wouldn't care. And yes it will fix that and if you use a mic should allow you to not boost it at all or at least less

You would likely loose sound quality but gain sound volume with a soundcard because of impedance mismatching. If you just need more volume, get an amp, not a soundcard.

If you really want better audio buy a DAC like the Filco, the sound cards are pretty much a waste only very perceptible people notice it a little when not none

If you really want better audio buy a DAC like the Filco, the sound cards are pretty much a waste only very perceptible people notice it a little when not none

Lol, Filco makes keyboards. I think you mean FiiO.

I have noticed that my headphones are very quiet when plugged into my rear panel audio, maybe a sound card would fix this as well as improve sound quality?

It seems like you have high-impedance headphones. A will need an amp to drive them properly. You can get sound cards with a built in headphone amp or you could get an external ones.

If you have a "modern" motherboard, sound card is most likely a waste of money.

It really depends on the rest of your sound equipment.

Lol Yeah I mean FiiO

It really depends on the rest of your sound equipment.

Well, if your gear is too good for on-board, it will most likely be too good for a sound card too, unless you need some rarer professional thingy.

It seems like you have high-impedance headphones. A will need an amp to drive them properly. You can get sound cards with a built in headphone amp or you could get an external ones.

He actually doesnt necessarily it depens what onboard he has my gameing headset was having isues with just about anything on the one in my p8z77-v lk. And the mic was even worse volume up and boost at +30 I was barely hearable

I was just curious, how many of you can actually tell the difference between onboard audio and a dedicated soundcard? I have noticed that my headphones are very quiet when plugged into my rear panel audio, maybe a sound card would fix this as well as improve sound quality?

what headphones are you using and what is your motherboard? 

with the exception of interference, if you level match the onboard and soundcard, then the onboard SQ will the same if not better than most sound cards.  This is due the impedance mis-matching Shearme spoke about.  I'll await your response re what mobo and headphones you have before commenting on the volume of them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what headphones are you using and what is your motherboard? 

with the exception of interference, if you level match the onboard and soundcard, then the onboard SQ will the same if not better than most sound cards.  This is due the impedance mis-matching Shearme spoke about.  I'll await your response re what mobo and headphones you have before commenting on the volume of them.

I'm using an ASUS P8P67 PRO. I have several headphones. My primary music listening one is the Sony XB600, and I also have the Sennheiser HD202 and HD 428, the latter of which seems to need a headphone amplifier. Also, my front panel audio sounds HORRIBLE. I can't hear any vocals at all, and everything else is muffled and distorted.

Interesting that senns don't have the 428 on their website anymore,  some people are advertising the 428 as noise cancelling, is that the model you have, because to me they look like they should be hard to drive.  Do they do the same when plugged into the rear panel? and have you got an S variant, with the button on the cable?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting that senns don't have the 428 on their website anymore,  some people are advertising the 428 as noise cancelling, is that the model you have, because to me they look like they should be hard to drive.  Do they do the same when plugged into the rear panel? and have you got an S variant, with the button on the cable?

Rear audio sounds fine, I'm using the regular 428 no noise caancelling

I will use my keyboard as a source if I want to and I won't let logic tell me otherwise. 

95% of my music is pirated. (technically not pirated but it's recorded off spotify, 256 Kb/s mp3) 

Does it even make sense to buy the very best sound card and some uber premium headphones if your music is pirated anyways? ;)

Does it make such a big difference in gaming?

I'd rather get a Motherboard with a better sound chip and ivest more into a nice pair of head phones. Not too expensive ones though, maybe 200 dollars.

who cares...

95% of my music is pirated. (technically not pirated but it's recorded off spotify, 256 Kb/s mp3) 

Does it even make sense to buy the very best sound card and some uber premium headphones if your music is pirated anyways? ;)

Does it make such a big difference in gaming?

I'd rather get a Motherboard with a better sound chip and ivest more into a nice pair of head phones. Not too expensive ones though, maybe 200 dollars.

even with the best headphones etc the difference between a good mp3 and cd is not noticeable. 

95% of people don't get onto forums and ask how to get decent audio, they just buy beats and an iphone then listen to top40 trash. But for us 5%, well,  I rip directly from cd mostly. 

spending all you cash on the best headphones you can afford is the wisest thing you can do. This is because they are the weakest component of the audio chain.  You are right to get the better mobo instead of a soundcard.  Usually the audio implementation is better for headphones.

even with the best headphones etc the difference between a good mp3 and cd is not noticeable. 

95% of people don't get onto forums and ask how to get decent audio, they just buy beats and an iphone then listen to top40 trash. But for us 5%, well,  I rip directly from cd mostly. 

spending all you cash on the best headphones you can afford is the wisest thing you can do. This is because they are the weakest component of the audio chain.  You are right to get the better mobo instead of a soundcard.  Usually the audio implementation is better for headphones.

Wow, first time I've seen somebody recommend buying a new motherboard instead of a sound card. The nonsense here is ridiculous! You can buy a soundcard for like $30, motherboards are more than that. How about this, buy a Fiio DAC instead of a new freaking motherboard?

Wow, first time I've seen somebody recommend buying a new motherboard instead of a sound card. The nonsense here is ridiculous! You can buy a soundcard for like $30, motherboards are more than that. How about this, buy a Fiio DAC instead of a new freaking motherboard?

I think the question was premised on getting a slightly better motherboard rather than a soundcard when building a new computer, not swaping your current mobo.

you moron,  the suggestion was in response to someone who suggested getting a better motherboard in the first place, NOT replacing an existing one. :rolleyes:

Although, with decent motherboards as cheap as $80 and some sound cards pushing $200+ you can make your own argument.

No where in that paragraph did he say to swap out the motherboard instead of buying a new sound card. Reported for being a troll, again.

No where in that paragraph did he say to swap out the motherboard instead of buying a new sound card. Reported for being a troll, again.

You apparently don't know what being a troll is. You should be banned for reporting everyone!