Apple Abandons JPEG In Favor of HEIF/HEVC

LAwLz

HIEF/HEVC, APFS, Mass USB-C Thunderbolt 3, External GPU support, & 4k/retina display all the things.... Apple really is moving forward at quite a pace. 

I'm not certain that the GPU dock will have the same problems Linus experienced with the Razer Blade as Apple have been known to fiddle around in the past with Thunderbolt & 5k displays (I think they bonded two of the Thunderbolt channels in parallel to feed data to the screen). 

It's also worth noting that JPEG is a compression algorithm, not a file format. The actual format is called JFIF.

So, @LAwLz, if I understand this correctly, it is the JPEC encoder specifically that will be removed from IOS 11 and HS. Given the popularity of legacy* JPEG images, the decoder will be here to stay for quite a long time.

* I've heard there is a succeeding format (JPEG2000 iirc), but the information around it was a bit confusing to me, and it seemed to have suffered the fate of webP.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

JPEG 2000 required more processing power to decode and again .. patents and licensing issues made it not worth messing with.

We are using JPEG2000 to encode 4K video in real time. However, that requires a really powerful GPU - Titan X Pascal or AMD Nano (or more). The second issue is, as mentioned, licenses. For end user, license is 1500 EUR which covers JPEG2000 GPU core implementation and JPEG2000 licenses/patents.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, CUDA_Cores said:

I didn't read all this, but I already know why it's not covered. It's because apply generally holds all technology to themselves and doesn't allow others to use it or pay huge liscensing fees. It's one of the biggest reasons firewire never took off in the mid 2000s when there was already USB around that was royalty free. 

Just because something is better doesn't mean it's widely used. 

ahem... betamax

Problem with the Betamax comparison is that it came at a time when recording TV was becoming widely accessible, and because it could only record an hour in exchange for a slightly better picture compared to VHS' two hours, it lost out. 

All in all, Betamax was barely better as a format, and the extra width of it wasn't really justified.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

So, @LAwLz, if I understand this correctly, it is the JPEC encoder specifically that will be removed from IOS 11 and HS. Given the popularity of legacy* JPEG images, the decoder will be here to stay for quite a long time.

Both the encoder and decoder will be left intact. In fact, if you go into the settings you can change it back to saving pictures as JPEG. The news is that they are adding support for HEIF/HEVC, and making it the default.

So "abandoning" might be a bit too strong of a statement, but they are certainly moving away from it.

4 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

* I've heard there is a succeeding format (JPEG2000 iirc), but the information around it was a bit confusing to me, and it seemed to have suffered the fate of webP.

Yeah, there have been many attempts at replacing JPEG, but they have all failed.

I think you would need a large alliance like AOMedia in order to truly make a successor. JPEG is too established for a single company to dethrone.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, there have been many attempts at replacing JPEG, but they have all failed.

I think you would need a large alliance like AOMedia in order to truly make a successor. JPEG is too established for a single company to dethrone.

There's plain JPEG

There's JPEG-XT (extensions to JPEG for up to 16 bpc, hdr etc) : https://jpeg.org/jpegxt/index.html

There's JPEG-LS  (lossless and near lossless) :  https://jpeg.org/jpegls/index.html

There's Microsoft's (was/is pushed heavily by Microsoft)  JPEG-XR : https://jpeg.org/jpegxr/index.html

and others...

JPEG group was planning to meet in Australia for some conference to come up with some new format and "revitalize" the JPEG standard, and potentially merge several of these into a something they could promote as jpeg successor.. here's the announcement : https://jpeg.org/items/20170413_cfp_jpeg_reference_software.htm and https://jpeg.org/items/20170410_cfp_htj2k.html

and maybe someone finds this interesting

2s7arl2.png.42b65d4858c52f79a55ea4eb23b4199d.png

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

JPEG group was planning to meet in Australia for some conference to come up with some new format and "revitalize" the JPEG standard, and potentially merge several of these into a something they could promote as jpeg successor.. here's the announcement : https://jpeg.org/items/20170413_cfp_jpeg_reference_software.htm and https://jpeg.org/items/20170410_cfp_htj2k.html

That's a good idea, but I don't think even the JPEG group can dethrone JPEG on their own. They already tried with JPEG2000 and JPEG XR.

What you need is a large group of companies, such as AOMedia, to develop a nwe standard which they all agree to change to.

Yeah new format would be awesome, there are definitely wast differences and benefits. But good it's in motion, however it ends up it will finally move on.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

thanks, @LAwLzfor this interesting news. We are currently discussing data compression in our university course and just talked about JPEG.