Portable PC??

My parents are divorced and i need a rig that i can move with no effort, laptops wont work since i need to be able to upgrade gpus and cpus later on. Any build guides or pre-built recommendations are appreciated. 

Search up lugtop. Its sort of a mod.

ITX might work too.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

ITX. I know the feel, I move my 250D during the holidays - throw it in a box and throw it in the car. 

Get a smaller case than the 250D though, something like Node202 or Cougar QBX

idk

Just build an ITX pc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, barisaxyman said:

My parents are divorced and i need a rig that i can move with no effort, laptops wont work since i need to be able to upgrade gpus and cpus later on. Any build guides or pre-built recommendations are appreciated. 

Intel NUC kit? Downside is that you need to supply your own OS, storage, and memory. It supports both 2.5" SATA SSDs and M.2 NVMe SSDs. They're also available on Amazon.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Intel NUC kit? Downside is that you need to supply your own OS, storage, and memory. It supports both 2.5" SATA SSDs and M.2 NVMe SSDs. They're also available on Amazon.

9 minutes ago, barisaxyman said:

i need to be able to upgrade gpus and cpus later on. 

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

They have Thunderbolt 3 for eGPUs if that is his thing.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

They have Thunderbolt 3 for eGPUs if that is his thing.

Yeah, but

11 minutes ago, barisaxyman said:

since i need to be able to upgrade gpus and cpus later on

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

either get an itx, or just deal with carrying a larger computer.

or guilt your parents into getting you a computer at each house.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

37 minutes ago, barisaxyman said:

node 202 is a solid case. depending on what you throw in it, if you are building a whole new build, the ryzen 1600, 1700 and a gtx 1070 would be a good gaming rig. but if you already have the parts, getting a smaller motherboard and power supply would be good as well. i have a slightly bigger case than the node 202, its the SilverStone Milo Series ML08B which is able to fit a slightly larger cpu cooler for better cooling. 

40 minutes ago, barisaxyman said:

Look into "Suitcase PC" or mini ITX builds.

There is a way for you to discard the PSU and install laptop adapter if you wish. I forget what the name of it is though and where or which forum I asked the question in. I will try to google it as I am interested in it as well.

Pico PSU

http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981

Remember that those are low wattage units but you could use a couple to power different things, just needs to be a common ground. Then all you need is a decent 12V lots of Ah battery, I'd choose a quality 18650 can such as Sony or LG or Samsung in the 3Ah to 3.5Ah range, the 3Ah cans are $2.25USD per can.

Aluminum tool box. Google image search this + case mod. I'm thinking of doing something similar later in the year

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Aluminum tool box. Google image search this + case mod. I'm thinking of doing something similar later in the year

You could use a laptop screen for portability. I've always pondered such a build. And its been done before, lots of info on the intertuber about it.

Just now, yathis said:

You could use a laptop screen for portability. I've always pondered such a build.

Heaps of people have done it. Here is the first image I found on googleimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIMC2yylYgUrcpi93reCo

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

"suitcase pc" is a slang term for them, yes.

So just use like three 18650 cans in series that are 3Ah each for $2.25usd each. Then first test out how big and heavy say 21Ah (so 3S7P) is, and see how long it would last on regular usage.

If I remember correctly, the Pico PSU's did not have a very high wattage rating, I think if you were to find 250W you'd be doing good, and using 2 of them as I said previously.

I would use any monitor that fits. I would use an apple keyboard for it's size. Make room to store headphones. You shouldn't have to cut holes in the box like some people do, that would ruin it's strength. It's straight forward to just shove everything in a aluminum tool box

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I would use any monitor that fits. I would use an apple keyboard for it's size. Make room to store headphones. You shouldn't have to cut holes in the box like some people do, that would ruin it's strength. It's straight forward to just shove everything in a aluminum tool box

What are they using for power? Most likely regular pc and plug it in I bet.

Could also look into an inverter so going from 12Vdc to 120Vac and using regular pc psu. Just added shit to the case is all.

Cheap China fucking shit

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/500W-DC-AC-Converter-Step-up-12V-to-220V-380V-Inverter-Board-Transformer-Power-/291856459771?hash=item43f40027fb:g:6EAAAOSw9NdXv~dK

I've seen it where my buddy had a PC case with a handle on it and then he somehow mounted a monitor on the side.  He just drug that around.  It wasn't bad to carry, really.  I think this was the case-link

27 minutes ago, yathis said:

What are they using for power? Most likely regular pc and plug it in I bet.

Could also look into an inverter so going from 12Vdc to 120Vac and using regular pc psu. Just added shit to the case is all.

Cheap China fucking shit

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/500W-DC-AC-Converter-Step-up-12V-to-220V-380V-Inverter-Board-Transformer-Power-/291856459771?hash=item43f40027fb:g:6EAAAOSw9NdXv~dK

If I build one I will not be putting in batteries. Calculate what you will need to power desktop components. Ignoring the cost, the physical volume required puts me off. You will need much bigger batteries than a laptop. If you do want batteries prob pay to look at the physical size of UPS and how long they can power a desktop.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_