iOS 11: Marking the end of 32-bit Apps

WMGroomAK
3 hours ago, Commodus said:

AAC, ALAC, H.264, HEVC, HEIF and Thunderbolt are all true standards.

They are or were proprietary though.

Apple doesn't have a lock on them

Just because it's proprietary from some other company than Apple doesn't make them free and open.

(even ALAC is open source)

It became non-proprietary in 2011. That's 7 years after Apple introduced it.

anyone can use them, even if they need to get a license from a standards group

That does not make it free. H.264 is proprietary. Proprietary does not mean "anyone can use it". Proprietary means that the IP is copyrighted by one or more organizations/companies/people and they put limits on use, distribution and modifications.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

I need to clarify: if Apple adopts someone else's technology, it's usually a real standard.

That I can agree with.

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Except 100% of my list is correct. The problem is that you seem to think "proprietary" stands for "made by Apple and nobody else uses it". The reality is that proprietary means:

Maybe I misunderstood, but your post specified:

Apple has historically been God awful when it comes to adopting and/or creating their own proprietary standards

You specified "creating their own proprietary standards", and then listed technologies that weren't created by Apple. I never claimed Apple didn't use proprietary standards, but rather, that half your list wasn't actually created by Apple.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So let me get this straight. New ipad gets ios11 cannot run 32bit apps, while old ipad that cannot upgrade to ios11 can run both 32bit and 64bit?

So old ipad is better then!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So let me get this straight. New ipad gets ios11 cannot run 32bit apps, while old ipad that cannot upgrade to ios11 can run both 32bit and 64bit?

If you need to run apps that have been abandoned for years, then yes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Not really. Like I explained before, running 64-bit apps on 32-bit will introduce performance penalties, as you are going through emulators and wrappers in order to do so. Also, no apps updated after 2014 will support native 32-bit, and iDevices that support 64-bit will install and run 64-bit versions of said apps, without any kind of user choice in this matter (and this is a very good thing). The only thing this will affect are what are effectively abandonware, of which there are ALWAYS better and more recently updated alternatives.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

6 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but your post specified:

You specified "creating their own proprietary standards", and then listed technologies that weren't created by Apple. I never claimed Apple didn't use proprietary standards, but rather, that half your list wasn't actually created by Apple.

Yes you did misunderstand. What I said was:

"adopting and/or creating their own proprietary standards"

What I said was that they either adopt proprietary standards or create their own. That's what the "and/or" means.

If I was just talking about which proprietary things Apple has created then I would not have added that "adopting and/or" in the sentence. Adopting means taking something from someone else (as in, adopting a child). You can't adopt your own child to yourself, right?

5 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Like I explained before, running 64-bit apps on 32-bit will introduce performance penalties

[Citation Needed]

On 6/19/2017 at 1:56 PM, LAwLz said:

They are or were proprietary though.

Just because it's proprietary from some other company than Apple doesn't make them free and open.

It became non-proprietary in 2011. That's 7 years after Apple introduced it.

That does not make it free. H.264 is proprietary. Proprietary does not mean "anyone can use it". Proprietary means that the IP is copyrighted by one or more organizations/companies/people and they put limits on use, distribution and modifications.

That I can agree with.

We're clearly using different terms here.

I'm using proprietary in the most literal sense: that it's developed largely by one company and isn't meant to be widely used.  In that sense, the technology I've listed isn't proprietary.  Not anymore, in the case of Thunderbolt or ALAC.

H.264, HEVC, HEIF... those are definitely all standards.  It might suck that there's frequently a royalty involved for commercial use, but they're run by standards groups and intended to be universal.  If we don't count them as standards, then you're arguing that all standards must be FOSS, and that's not really how it works.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:39 PM, samiscool51 said:

even though the 64-bit architecture is designed to have backwards compatibility without much problem?

if apple is saying thats it's not possible to run 32-bit programs on 64-bit hardware, the bullshit meter would explode

wait one sec

(gets out bullshit meter)

WE INTERRUPT THIS POST TO BRING YOU A BULLETIN NEWS STORY, a young couples house exploded at 11am, police say the cause was a bullshit meter that coulden't handle the amount of bulshit something was giving out, currently police don't know what thing caused it to explode but know that it was bullshit of the highest level.

next up: these puppies have fun at the local dog park with their adopted owner..

THEY HAVE NEVER CLAIMED THAT!!

People like you will make shit up just to bash Apple. 

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

We're clearly using different terms here.

I'm using proprietary in the most literal sense: that it's developed largely by one company and isn't meant to be widely used.  In that sense, the technology I've listed isn't proprietary.  Not anymore, in the case of Thunderbolt or ALAC.

H.264, HEVC, HEIF... those are definitely all standards.  It might suck that there's frequently a royalty involved for commercial use, but they're run by standards groups and intended to be universal.  If we don't count them as standards, then you're arguing that all standards must be FOSS, and that's not really how it works.

Well, your definition is wrong.

Standard and proprietary are not opposites. Something can be an industry standard and still be proprietary, aka de facto standard.

For example PDF was a proprietary format until 2008, but even today it has some proprietary components.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Well, your definition is wrong.

Standard and proprietary are not opposites. Something can be an industry standard and still be proprietary, aka de facto standard.

For example PDF was a proprietary format until 2008, but even today it has some proprietary components.

I get you.

Still, formats like H.264 and HEIF aren't proprietary in that sense!  No one company owns them.

14 hours ago, TechGod said:

THEY HAVE NEVER CLAIMED THAT!!

People like you will make shit up just to bash Apple. 

you did read the "if" qualifier at the start of sams sentence  didn't you?  It means that sam is not making anything up, but pointing out that claims to the contrary would be BS. Not that the claims are necessarily being made in the first place.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.