ek pump and res buzzing

Go to solution Solved by AV Techy,
13 hours ago, HDshiny said:

so i have found out that the system fan can not control rpm. i hooked up my fans to the system fan header and they ran at 100%. this is the header i have had my pump plunged into making run a full RPM. :)

Brilliant, it is an issue that a lot of people get confused by - not all 4-pin headers are equal, they can be PWM or DC.

SYS FAN headers are generally not PWM unless it is a premium board with "all the features", and even then it's rare. However all CPU fan headers are PWM (except in some very rare occasions).

If you want both the fans and pump to be PWM controlled you will need to get a 4-pin Y-splitter like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-2-fan-pwm-10cm-wc-551-ek.html

But be sure to plug the pump into the outlet that has 4-pins, not the one that has 3-pins. The pump cannot be run off a 3-pin from a splitter, but the fans can.

I have done this myself and it runs flawlessly. I hope it all goes smoothly from here on, let me know if you have any other queries.

i recently bought a ek all in one watercooling system and the pump is making a constant buzzing noise. is there anyone who has this same problem ? if so how can i stop it im trying to make my pc as quiet as possible 

Which kit and how do you have the pump mounted in the case?

How would you describe the sound? As a low kind of buzz or a high pitched buzz?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Which kit and how do you have the pump mounted in the case?

How would you describe the sound? As a low kind of buzz or a high pitched buzz?

its the EK Water Blocks EK-KIT P240 kit. I have  mounted on the front of the radiator which is on the front of my case.. The sound is high pitched. I'm also getting the same sound from my graphics card which is a gtx1050ti 

IMG_20170605_131800.jpg

41 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

its the EK Water Blocks EK-KIT P240 kit. I have  mounted on the front of the radiator which is on the front of my case.. The sound is high pitched. I'm also getting the same sound from my graphics card which is a gtx1050ti 

IMG_20170605_131800.jpg

Sounds like it could be coil whine not unheard of on a pump but can occur at times. It would be a high pitch squealing noise. Make sure it's not just due to the mount vibrating or resonating. 

59 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

i recently bought a ek all in one watercooling system and the pump is making a constant buzzing noise. is there anyone who has this same problem ? if so how can i stop it im trying to make my pc as quiet as possible 

Curious, did it do this from the get-go or did it develop over time? 

More to the point, it's not in the instructions (I noticed on my kit) but there are screws to lock down the clamp around the pump/resv. Did you install those two screws? They are small, relatively long hex-head screws. Instructions -- either the kit or pump -- doesn't seem to include this step. If not installed, this could be causing noise. 

1 hour ago, HDshiny said:

That's because it's probably at max RPM. The buzz is normal. try moving to res slightly with your finger to see if it goes away. 

You can plug it into you're motherboard and setup a PWM config in BIOS to tone it down. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

31 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's because it's probably at max RPM. The buzz is normal. try moving to res slightly with your finger to see if it goes away. 

You can plug it into you're motherboard and setup a PWM config in BIOS to tone it down. 

plunged it into my motherboard and it says its running at 4754 RPM haha how do i control it using my motherboard? i have some fans connected to the cpu bit but that is all my fans. iv connected it to system fan on the motherboard.

51 minutes ago, FrankV said:

Curious, did it do this from the get-go or did it develop over time? 

More to the point, it's not in the instructions (I noticed on my kit) but there are screws to lock down the clamp around the pump/resv. Did you install those two screws? They are small, relatively long hex-head screws. Instructions -- either the kit or pump -- doesn't seem to include this step. If not installed, this could be causing noise. 

straight out the box. have them 2 screws in and there tight. must be RPM  speed

3 hours ago, HDshiny said:

plunged it into my motherboard and it says its running at 4754 RPM haha how do i control it using my motherboard? i have some fans connected to the cpu bit but that is all my fans. iv connected it to system fan on the motherboard.

Setup a PWM curve. Can be done in BIOS or in software. 

4800RPM is max speed. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Setup a PWM curve. Can be done in BIOS or in software. 

4800RPM is max speed. 

The pump is connected to a molex connector which is going to my power supply could this be the problem? 

8 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

The pump is connected to a molex connector which is going to my power supply could this be the problem? 

no. The "problem" is that you want to set up a PWM fan curve. Tell the pump to operate at 'x' speed at 'y' temperature. 

10 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

Does your model of pump not have a molex power and also a 4 pin fan header? 

27 minutes ago, W-L said:

Does your model of pump not have a molex power and also a 4 pin fan header? 

yeah 

2 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

yeah 

You won't have any problems then turning down the speed of the pump, the molex connection provides it power where you can use the PWM connection to setup a pump/fan curve as previously mention. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

You won't have any problems then turning down the speed of the pump, the molex connection provides it power where you can use the PWM connection to setup a pump/fan curve as previously mention. 

Still hasn't changed. I set it to be running at 560 rpm and it still sounds like a plane it taking off 

5 hours ago, HDshiny said:

Still hasn't changed. I set it to be running at 560 rpm and it still sounds like a plane it taking off 

Is the header that you have the pump plugged into configured within the BIOS to be PWM control. If it's not it won't be able to change speeds. 

4 hours ago, W-L said:

Is the header that you have the pump plugged into configured within the BIOS to be PWM control. If it's not it won't be able to change speeds. 

yeah but its a 4 pin header and my pwm fan hub connectors are 3 pin. i have plunged it into the phanteks evolve fan hub. should i get a 4 pin to 3 pin connector?

2 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

yeah but its a 4 pin header and my pwm fan hub connectors are 3 pin. i have plunged it into the phanteks evolve fan hub. should i get a 4 pin to 3 pin connector?

I'd recommend having the pump on the CPU fan header on its own (or CPU pump header if your motherboard has one).

And then putting the fans through another fan header.

The pump is the most critical piece in the loop and you want to make sure your system knows if/when it's not functioning properly. That's something you won't get if it's going through a fan hub on a 3pin header.

So just separate the pump from the fan hub and go from there.

---

2 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

I'd recommend having the pump on the CPU fan header on its own (or CPU pump header if your motherboard has one).

And then putting the fans through another fan header.

The pump is the most critical piece in the loop and you want to make sure your system knows if/when it's not functioning properly. That's something you won't get if it's going through a fan hub on a 3pin header.

So just separate the pump from the fan hub and go from there.

so put the pump is the connector thats says cpu fan and the pwn fan hub connecting to the system fan ?

16 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

so put the pump is the connector that says cpu fan and the pwn fan hub connecting to the system fan ?

Exactly.

You probably wouldn't want to be using the same fan curves for the fans and pump anyways.

What might be a good speed for the fans might not be for the pump and visa versa.

---

2 hours ago, HDshiny said:

It must be 4 pin PWM as said it is good practice to put it on the CPU header. 

@HDshiny, while i have not heard the buzzing i am sure you are hearing is almost surely from the pump caused by the magnetic force keeping the impeller alignment properly center either failing or failed by a faulty/damaged PCB in the pump.  It is almost impossible to fix for normal folks like us unless you submerge the pump which you can do.

RMA it.

Did you recently have like a power surge, maybe an outage, these things and cause the pump's PCB to malfunction. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

33 minutes ago, Leonard said:

@HDshiny, while i have not heard the buzzing i am sure you are hearing is almost surely from the pump caused by the magnetic force keeping the impeller alignment properly center either failing or failed by a faulty/damaged PCB in the pump.  It is almost impossible to fix for normal folks like us unless you submerge the pump which you can do.

RMA it.

Did you recently have like a power surge, maybe an outage, these things and cause the pump's PCB to malfunction. 

That is what it sounds like with all my fans off and only the pump connected to the psu by molex connector 

videocompress-096-VID_20170606_043032.mp4

1 minute ago, HDshiny said:

That is what it sounds like with all my fans off and only the pump connected to the psu by molex connector 

videocompress-096-VID_20170606_043032.mp4

Sorry guy, i don't DL links. if you post it on YT or similar then i'll listen.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Sorry guy, i don't DL links. if you post it on YT or similar then i'll listen.