ek pump and res buzzing

Go to solution Solved by AV Techy,
13 hours ago, HDshiny said:

so i have found out that the system fan can not control rpm. i hooked up my fans to the system fan header and they ran at 100%. this is the header i have had my pump plunged into making run a full RPM. :)

Brilliant, it is an issue that a lot of people get confused by - not all 4-pin headers are equal, they can be PWM or DC.

SYS FAN headers are generally not PWM unless it is a premium board with "all the features", and even then it's rare. However all CPU fan headers are PWM (except in some very rare occasions).

If you want both the fans and pump to be PWM controlled you will need to get a 4-pin Y-splitter like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-2-fan-pwm-10cm-wc-551-ek.html

But be sure to plug the pump into the outlet that has 4-pins, not the one that has 3-pins. The pump cannot be run off a 3-pin from a splitter, but the fans can.

I have done this myself and it runs flawlessly. I hope it all goes smoothly from here on, let me know if you have any other queries.

4 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

So iv go to the speed controll bit and it just shows this and then a setting that says. Normal. Silent. Manual (which is what is shown in the picture) and full. I'm not sure what to be messing around with realistically. There's no other options for speed controll apart from system and cpu 

IMG_20170612_153251.jpg

Ok brilliant, so basically you have two fan headers on your motherboard. One is called SYS FAN and one is called CPU FAN. These refer to the two options in the BIOS fan controller.

For both System and CPU you want to select Silent. "Silent" is a predefined fan curve made by Gigabyte - your motherboard manufacturer.

So you should be able to select CPU and then the Silent option, and then select System and then Silent option. This should set them both to the Silent fan curve profile.

Once you've done that you can save and exit, your PC will restart and the BIOS fan curves will be setup. Let me know how it goes.

7 hours ago, Aloe Vera said:

Ok brilliant, so basically you have two fan headers on your motherboard. One is called SYS FAN and one is called CPU FAN. These refer to the two options in the BIOS fan controller.

For both System and CPU you want to select Silent. "Silent" is a predefined fan curve made by Gigabyte - your motherboard manufacturer.

So you should be able to select CPU and then the Silent option, and then select System and then Silent option. This should set them both to the Silent fan curve profile.

Once you've done that you can save and exit, your PC will restart and the BIOS fan curves will be setup. Let me know how it goes.

I have done that and it's still making the same loud noise :'( 

27 minutes ago, HDshiny said:

I have done that and it's still making the same loud noise :'( 

Okay so both System and CPU fan curve profiles are set to Silent. Did the changes have any impact on the fans? or did nothing change?

I suppose it's worth a try to download the Gigabyte official fan control software - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/Microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html 

Scroll halfway down the page and click the "System Information Viewer Utility Download" button, then open the file within the downloaded file and launch the "setup" file. Then follow the instructions to install the software. Launch the program once it's finished installing and see if you can change any of the fan or pump speed settings there. Let me know how that goes.

On 6/13/2017 at 0:06 AM, Aloe Vera said:

Okay so both System and CPU fan curve profiles are set to Silent. Did the changes have any impact on the fans? or did nothing change?

I suppose it's worth a try to download the Gigabyte official fan control software - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/Microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html 

Scroll halfway down the page and click the "System Information Viewer Utility Download" button, then open the file within the downloaded file and launch the "setup" file. Then follow the instructions to install the software. Launch the program once it's finished installing and see if you can change any of the fan or pump speed settings there. Let me know how that goes.

i have downloaded the software and i have tried to make it so the pump is off and it is still running at full speed. 4856rpm

On 6/12/2017 at 1:01 PM, Aloe Vera said:

Excellent, so you have 2 fan headers that are both PWM compliant. So we can rule out the issue of the NC connector.

Have you tried setting the fan curve in the BIOS, Speedfan can be difficult to configure correctly. Gigabyte have set up a good fan curve BIOS control, use that instead of the software. And on the point of fan curves, I would setup so that your running at 100% speed at 75-80 degrees for a quieter system. And you can have it running at 20% up until around 40 degrees to keep it quiet under general use.

But you need to try the BIOS fan curve to rule out the issue with Speedfan. Please post a photo of your BIOS fan curve when your done setting it up and let me know if anything has changed.

so i have found out that the system fan can not control rpm. i hooked up my fans to the system fan header and they ran at 100%. this is the header i have had my pump plunged into making run a full RPM. :)

13 hours ago, HDshiny said:

Brilliant, it is an issue that a lot of people get confused by - not all 4-pin headers are equal, they can be PWM or DC.

SYS FAN headers are generally not PWM unless it is a premium board with "all the features", and even then it's rare. However all CPU fan headers are PWM (except in some very rare occasions).

If you want both the fans and pump to be PWM controlled you will need to get a 4-pin Y-splitter like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-2-fan-pwm-10cm-wc-551-ek.html

But be sure to plug the pump into the outlet that has 4-pins, not the one that has 3-pins. The pump cannot be run off a 3-pin from a splitter, but the fans can.

I have done this myself and it runs flawlessly. I hope it all goes smoothly from here on, let me know if you have any other queries.

16 hours ago, Aloe Vera said:

Thank you for your help :)