GTX 980 for $200 vs 1060

samstergo

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I was looking for places to sell some of my old stuff and I found a guy an hour and a half away with a (presumably used) GTX 980 reference card that he was selling for $200! I was originally going to go with a new 1060 but this looks more appealing. 

Does the power, new features, and reliability of buying a 1060 new outweigh the cheap price for his 980?

i would go for the 1060, #more newer more better. Well maybe not, but just look up on youtube how they both perform on the games you play. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, while the 980 is no slouch, I would go for the 1060, it's just... newer.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

If the 1060 is $60+ then just get the 980. Otherwise 1060, RX 480/580

2 minutes ago, Pepi28 said:

i would go for the 1060, #more newer more better. Well maybe not, but just look up on youtube how they both perform on the games you play. 

Thanks. I need to know what your profile pic is for... research reasons...

1 minute ago, samstergo said:

Thanks. I need to know what your profile pic is for... research reasons...

Haha xD its Amy Schumer doing some star wars parody photo shoot. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

2 hours ago, samstergo said:

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I was looking for places to sell some of my old stuff and I found a guy an hour and a half away with a (presumably used) GTX 980 reference card that he was selling for $200! I was originally going to go with a new 1060 but this looks more appealing. 

Does the power, new features, and reliability of buying a 1060 new outweigh the cheap price for his 980?

580>480>980>1060 
or at least according to firestrike

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

RX 580s/480s are out of stock because of crypto miners, I would definitely get the 980 for that price