Gtx 1080 ti not performing as well compared to others???

AstroSky
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
9 hours ago, AstroSky said:

idk if this helps 

Capturefgdsfgdsfgdsfg.JPG

Interesting.... This could be the reason... 

Does this happen in everything, including stuff like BF and Firestrike?

Go look in your bios, there might be an option to set the CPU frequency to fixed.

Just now, AstroSky said:

it seems my boost clock is the ISSUE!!! its not boosting to 3.7 as advertised.     it hits 3.2 at max load.   

3.7 is single core turbo, 3.2 is multi. I think that's what it should be doing. :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

yes new everything in terms of software.   

overclocked to 3.3.  Got worse scores.       hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just now, AstroSky said:

overclocked to 3.3.  Got worse scores.       hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Could you monitor with CPU z to make sure it's not throttling?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

what am i looking for??????????? with cpuz

my clock speed on cpuz is not moving at all.

1 hour ago, AstroSky said:

Interesting.    Maybe i should overclock?   

Yes do it. I'm running my r5 1500x at 3.8 GHz (I can go to 3.9, but heat is the problem)

Sounds like you are experiencing microstuttering. I would also say the CPU is to blame probably. Also be aware that at 1080p, the CPU is more likely to be a bottleneck than at 1440p or 4k. Also on  medium settings the CPU is a worse bottleneck than on Ultra settings. That being said, at 80fps, the CPU should not be bottlenecking.

What speed is your RAM running at? Check it in the BIOS. Ryzen performance is very ram dependent. Make sure the Ram is running at the proper speed.

it seems my boost clock is the ISSUE!!! its not boosting to 3.7 as advertised.     it hits 3.2 at max load.   

Make sure the CPU is running at proper speed, is turbo boosting properly, and not overheating or thermal throttling. Check the clocks and temps under load with something like HWMonitor or MSI afterburner.

Maybe your CPU is overheating? Did you apply the thermal paste properly? Is the cooler installed onto the CPU properly? What are the CPU temps?

The fact that you get worse scores with overclocking seems to indicate your CPU is thermal throttling even faster or something like that.

i cant get my ram to run at 3000 mhz only 2666 

Just now, AstroSky said:

i cant get my ram to run at 3000 mhz only 2666 

That should be fast enough to not cause any problems.

Like I said above:

Make sure the CPU is running at proper speed, is turbo boosting properly, and not overheating or thermal throttling. Check the clocks and temps under load with something like HWMonitor or MSI afterburner.

Maybe your CPU is overheating? Did you apply the thermal paste properly? Is the cooler installed onto the CPU properly? What are the CPU temps?

The fact that you get worse scores with overclocking seems to indicate your CPU is thermal throttling even faster or something like that.

Right my cpu goes to 75 or 80 with a high max load on the cpu.

I might have not applied the heatsink right considering i took it off and re did it with out doing anything else to it.   Maybe the paste got messed up.

i have some thermal grizzly i just bought for my new AIO for the cpu.   Dont wanna waste it though on the stock heatsink.

I just remembered something.

Are you using the high performance power plan for windows?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, AstroSky said:

yes i am should i disable it?

NVM then, I was just making sure you were on it :) 

You could try downloading the ryzen balanced performance plan, but it shouldn't actually improve performance

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, AstroSky said:

Right my cpu goes to 75 or 80 with a high max load on the cpu.

Thats pretty warm, but should not be critical temperature yet, but might cause the CPU to not boost to the full potential. I don't know at what temperature Ryzen starts to throttle.

Please just download MSI Afterburner. It has a monitoring tool for thermal throttling for both CPU and GPU. You can see there if the temperatures are causing your CPU to throttle down. Sounds like that is what is happening possibly.

just installed new aio.   Runs 50 c max.   Scores are the exact same with stock cooler.    odd.

5 hours ago, AstroSky said:

I only said this 5 hours ago.. 

While everybody is blaming the cpu, I personally don't think that an R7 1700 at 3.2 or even 3Ghz would cause stuttering, the 1700 is well known for silky smooth gaming experience, especially for multi threaded games like bf1. I had similar stuttering issues on my MSI RX470 when I first bought it and it turned out to be the MSI gaming app interfering with the gpu clock causing massive fps drops and micro stutters. all went away as soon as I removed the software and DDU the drivers. So first of all, make sure that nothing is interfering with the GPU clock. Use the MSI afterburner logging utility to scan for any throttling or cpu/gpu clock fluctuations.

If that passed without any obvious issue, I'd take a look at the disk and memory i/o, they can cause stuttering if one isn't performing correctly. also, try to dial down your memory clocks to 2400 or even 2133Mhz see if it makes a difference.

The only way I could think the CPU causing stuttering if the thermal limits are set too low in the bios, or you have some sort of power delivery issues.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

1 hour ago, AstroSky said:

just installed new aio.   Runs 50 c max.   Scores are the exact same with stock cooler.    odd.

Is this a fresh install of windows that you're using? And is it a fresh install of all the games you're playing?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Have you tested any other game? Is your gpu running at x8 or x16 speed? Gpu z will tell you what pcie speed it's running at, my gpu wasn't sat flush and it was running at x2 rather than x16 and that was causing the same issue for me with battlefield 1.

battlefield 1 though is really random for performance, some days it performs better than others on the same server and map.