AMD Radeon RX VEGA to Launch at SIGGRAPH 2017

HKZeroFive

Someone else that thinks the Anti-hype could be useful. 

Though this is also really interesting: 

The some of the graphs I had a WTF reaction to.

Spoiler

Vega FE2.jpg

Vega FE1.jpg

Generally put, the "Game Mode" loses to the "Pro Mode" in pretty much everything, except when the Game Mode is OC'd to 1697 Mhz. We're also on the block for my statement about RX Vega toasting the 1080/Ti cards on DX12 on Ryzen because of Nvidia's driver issues. (This is an Nvidia on Ryzen problem, not a 1080/Ti problem.)

I still think RX Vega's top SKU will slot right between the 1080 and 1080 Ti and they'll price it at 599. We'll see at least some lower SKU at like 399. Or maybe they'll shock us with a 299 + 499 break down.  No clue. (Tech stuff is kind of fun when I'm not in need of buying anything, unless something blows up, until next year.)

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Someone else that thinks the Anti-hype could be useful. 

Though this is also really interesting: 

The some of the graphs I had a WTF reaction to.

Hide contents

Vega FE2.jpg

Vega FE1.jpg

Generally put, the "Game Mode" loses to the "Pro Mode" in pretty much everything, except when the Game Mode is OC'd to 1697 Mhz. We're also on the block for my statement about RX Vega toasting the 1080/Ti cards on DX12 on Ryzen because of Nvidia's driver issues. (This is an Nvidia on Ryzen problem, not a 1080/Ti problem.)

I still think RX Vega's top SKU will slot right between the 1080 and 1080 Ti and they'll price it at 599. We'll see at least some lower SKU at like 399. Or maybe they'll shock us with a 299 + 499 break down.  No clue. (Tech stuff is kind of fun when I'm not in need of buying anything, unless something blows up, until next year.)

it shows how much "optimized" is the gaming side of the driver we will have to wait to see actual perf when the drivers are better

Buuuuut

Does anyone know if Vega undervolts well? Can't find anything about it.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

17 minutes ago, Agost said:

Does anyone know if Vega undervolts well? Can't find anything about it.

Given the interesting gain in game FPS when the FE was OC'd I'm going with no outside of heavy compute tasks.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Given the interesting gain in game FPS when the FE was OC'd I'm going with no outside of heavy compute tasks.

What does it have to do with undervolting?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 hours ago, Agost said:

What does it have to do with undervolting?

GCN cores have undervolted really well for a few generations, so it's highly likely to do that again, however we need to see what happens when the new features are actually activated. (Probably because they're really well designed iGPUs that get scaled up.) Gamer's Nexus had their memory underclocking on them when trying to perform an OC, so it's more than likely no one has gotten around to it yet.

It also dawns on me that SIGGRAPH should have the Threadripper introduction. We know that it should be launching around Aug 10th, which is less than 2 weeks after the event.  I guess it's going to be AMD news bombs the entire time.  (Maybe we'll get more word on Raven Ridge, as well.)

5 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

If those figures hold in all other independent benchmarks then that means most predictions were on the money.   Which is great and sad all at the same time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

37 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

I wonder if Vega will be as good as the other AMD GPUs for mining >:D

Not for ethereum.

Maybe for someyhing like zcash or other more compute based coins

Just now, cj09beira said:

Not for ethereum.

Maybe for someyhing like zcash or other more compute based coins

AMD makes best Eth mining GPUs

AMD GPUs selling out world wide

AMD makes new GPU

AMD's new GPU is terrible at Eth mining

Somebody please slap the designers and sales people lol.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

AMD makes new GPU

Well, the Vega FE isn't good at it, at least for the cost.  I think it's 50% more hashes than the 580? Considering we're getting into some fine details of microarchitectures to sort that stuff out, we'll just have to wait for RX Vega. But if they release a 299 USD card we may run into this problem again.  The biggest part is the Power Efficiency that they mine at, which GCN systems lose as they scale up in frequency.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, the Vega FE isn't good at it, at least for the cost.  I think it's 50% more hashes than the 580? Considering we're getting into some fine details of microarchitectures to sort that stuff out, we'll just have to wait for RX Vega. But if they release a 299 USD card we may run into this problem again.  The biggest part is the Power Efficiency that they mine at, which GCN systems lose as they scale up in frequency.

Thats only a problem if you t know what to do.when mining ether u should downclock the core and undervolt it while overclocking the ram. I can get 30 Mh/s at 85w on the core. Or 29.5 at 110w with 600MH/s of sia

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Yea just making a joke about no longer having that fallback plan, if it doesn't sell well to gamers you better hope miners want it lol.

I actually think Vega will mine very well after the miners get their hands on them and optimize for it, it has all the nice compute specs for it. With a bit of under volting and down clocking it could be very efficient.

Personally I don't mind miners buying all the stock, I'd far rather see AMD selling well than not at all. Plus otherwise it would make me slightly a hypocrite since I mine but my GPUs are gaming first mining second and really old.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

Thats only a problem if you t know what to do.when mining ether u should downclock the core and undervolt it while overclocking the ram. I can get 30 Mh/s at 85w on the core. Or 29.5 at 110w with 600MH/s of sia

Using Vega FE or something else?

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

AMD makes new GPU

You should slap Sk Hynix people for making slow (not so slow) hbm 2

Vega is being announced and teased for like forever now.

By the time it actually hits the shelves people will have NVidia 11xx cards.

Stop announcing announcements AMD. Just release some stuff already and follow that Ryzen trend, gosh.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Using Vega FE or something else?

the example was with a stix 480 but it will also apply for vega. But vega might be better for other coins.although it might be good while dual mining

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the example was with a stix 480 but it will also apply for vega. But vega might be better for other coins.although it might be good while dual mining

On my 290X's memory speed seems to have little effect on Mh/s, core clock does greatly though. Terrible system to be mining on though, measures 594W using an Eaton 9130 UPS so that is very accurate lol.

Edit:

Last month I used 1007 KWh of power.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

You should slap Sk Hynix people for making slow (not so slow) hbm 2

I think the earliest we'd have seen Vega was late April if nothing got delayed. 2 years from the Fury line going live and right along with the 500 series refreshes. (Those were coming anyway.)  So it, realistically, is only going to end up being about 4 months "late". The real issue is that Nvidia got the 1080 Ti out in March, which probably means RX Vega was to drop in late April if everything had gone to plan. 

Vega is like Fiji/Polaris but with interior components apparently working on IF connections now. So it might be less potent for a chunk of mining activities. We'll see. I haven't heard of anyone in the Mining space getting a hold of the Vega FE to play with. RX Vega could be really interesting, and it should undervolt like the rest of GCN. (I still don't know why AMD runs their Stock settings so high when people get regular undervolt + large OC on cards.)

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

On my 290X's memory speed seems to have little effect on Mh/s, core clock does greatly though. Terrible system to be mining on though, measures 594W using an Eaton 9130 UPS so that is very accurate lol.

You should focus more on that memory .after 1200 mhz core the improvements are small for the 480 but memory can puch me from 23 stock to 30 by also using tighter timings (those help a lot)

Just now, cj09beira said:

You should focus more on that memory .after 1200 mhz core the improvements are small for the 480 but memory can puch me from 23 stock to 30 by also using tighter timings (those help a lot)

I did a lot of testing on my cards, memory never resulted in more than 1 Mh/s gain. It's quite easy for me to test since I have two and can do side by side comparisons. No body should really be mining on 290X's anyway but hey it's what I have.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I think the earliest we'd have seen Vega was late April if nothing got delayed. 2 years from the Fury line going live and right along with the 500 series refreshes. (Those were coming anyway.)  So it, realistically, is only going to end up being about 4 months "late". The real issue is that Nvidia got the 1080 Ti out in March, which probably means RX Vega was to drop in late April if everything had gone to plan. 

Vega is like Fiji/Polaris but with interior components apparently working on IF connections now. So it might be less potent for a chunk of mining activities. We'll see. I haven't heard of anyone in the Mining space getting a hold of the Vega FE to play with. RX Vega could be really interesting, and it should undervolt like the rest of GCN. (I still don't know why AMD runs their Stock settings so high when people get regular undervolt + large OC on cards.)

Its actually quite simple. Its to improve yields (they need a more sufisticaded process fast)

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I did a lot of testing on my cards, memory never resulted in more than 1 Mh/s gain. It's quite easy for me to test since I have two and can do side by side comparisons. No body should really be mining on 290X's anyway but hey it's what I have.

Which such large bandwidth it should be very fast how many Mhcan you get? (IF you dont mind me asking)

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Which such large bandwidth it should be very fast how many Mhcan you get? (IF you dont mind me asking)

Stock 290X (1000 Mhz core, 1250 Mhz Mem): 28.18 Mh/s

290X (1000 Mhz core, 1500 Mhz Mem):  28.24 Mh/s

290X (1100 Mhz core, 1250 Mhz Mem): 30.92

290X (1100 Mhz core, 1500 Mhz Mem): 31.04

Same card was used.

Edit:

Also I mainly use the computer as a radiant heater for my room, I turned off the miner last night and woke up in the middle of the night and the room was damn cold.