Intel X299 CPU's NOT soldered!

asim1999
20 minutes ago, MageTank said:

There are also alternatives to CLU, that do not dry up at all when exposed to air, such as Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, but this particular LM is far more liquid-y than CLU, which makes it slightly riskier to use if you do not take proper precautions. Always use Kapton tape or clear-coat nail polish on any exposed contacts near the die, and re-seal the IHS to try to prevent leaking. Bonus points if you use the Bitspower IHS, as it's designed to help hold your LM in place without being resealed.

That aftermarket IHS is pretty sweet.

@MageTank

I am considering to delid my 4770k. Right now I am at 4.6GHz and temperature spikes in low 90°C when running Aida64 (haven't even bothered trying AVX with P95).

The difference in temperature between the hottest and coldest cores is over 10°C so I am sure the delid would help.

However, I am afraid to use LM as on Haswell there are capacitors right next to the die and that would be quite a huge risk as I don't plan on resealing the IHS.

I have spare MX-4 paste, do you think it makes sense to go with that one?

Just now, WereCat said:

@MageTank

I am considering to delid my 4770k. Right now I am at 4.6GHz and temperature spikes in low 90°C when running Aida64 (haven't even bothered trying AVX with P95).

The difference in temperature between the hottest and coldest cores is over 10°C so I am sure the delid would help.

However, I am afraid to use LM as on Haswell there are capacitors right next to the die and that would be quite a huge risk as I don't plan on reselling the IHS.

MX-4 does work, but the best paste (from a longevity standpoint) is Dow Corning. If you don't mind repasting every year or two, Kryonaut or KPx will yield the best thermal results for conventional pastes. That being said, I've even used AS5 on my bare die before, and it still yielded a 3-5C drop in temps (and helped with per-core temp uniformity). So anything will help.

You can use Kapton tape, or Clearcoat nail polish on your caps and it will be just fine. I've done that on my G3258, both of my brother's CPU's (4690k, 4790k) and friends of mine have also done so with their Haswell CPU's. Just paint a nice thin layer of clearcoat over top of the caps (or just use capton tape around the entire area of the die, whichever method you prefer) and you are good to go. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

@MageTank

However, I am afraid to use LM as on Haswell there are capacitors right next to the die and that would be quite a huge risk as I don't plan on resealing the IHS.

In addition to the options for shielding the caps on the substrate provided by @MageTank, liquid electrical tape works fantastic.  I've used clear nail polish and liquid electrical tape and both work great.  The only difference is that you can easily remove the electrical tape should you decide to undo anything.  

I'd definitely recommend CLU or Conductonaut over any paste.   

Good luck and have fun with it.

Just now, done12many2 said:

In addition to the options for shielding the caps on the substrate provided by @MageTank, liquid electrical tape works fantastic.  I've used clear nail polish and liquid electrical tape and both work great.  The only difference is that you can easily remove the electrical tape should you decide to undo anything.  

I've switched over to Kapton tape, as I find myself soldering more and more these days (and I needed it for that hobby). That being said, I'll definitely be picking up a jar of that liquid electrical tape. Should help save me money on Kapton tape, as that stuff is certainly not cheap, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

23 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Expansion and contraction of solder was found to possibly cause breakage of the core as micro-fissures formed.

these chips are far from being small though...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Do you think petroleum jelly would work?

they use that for LN2 prep to protect them from condensation.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I've switched over to Kapton tape, as I find myself soldering more and more these days (and I needed it for that hobby). That being said, I'll definitely be picking up a jar of that liquid electrical tape. Should help save me money on Kapton tape, as that stuff is certainly not cheap, lol. 

There are guys on OCN and HWBOT covering complete GPUs and other PCBs with the stuff.  It's great because it just peels off mostly in one complete piece when you're done.  

So far I've used it to cover PCB surrounding shunts on GPUs, around GPU dies, and for contacts on CPU substrates.  The stuff sticks awesome.  You can coat it with as many layers as you want for added insulation/security.  All you have to do is wait a few minutes between layers.  

Here's a photo showing the liquid tape coating the area surrounding the liquid metal coated shunts.  Disregard my ghetto fabricated plastic barriers below the shunts.  :D  My cards are vertically mounted on a horizontally mounted board, so I wanted something in place in the event of some liquid metal run off.  

Once the unlocked XOC bios for the 1080 Ti cards was released, I was able to undo the liquid metal shunt mod by simply wiping off the CLU and peeling up the liquid tape.  It took 10x longer to disassemble the blocks then to undo the shunt mod. 

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

wow, so many pissed off people because of a non-soldered CPU.

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Do you think petroleum jelly would work?

they use that for LN2 prep to protect them from condensation.

Sure it will, but who wants to smear that all over their PCBs?  xD

giphy.gif

GGWP.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

@done12many2 Do you think something like the Cooler Master V8 GTS would be enough for the i9 7960x/7980xe on stock? Or these are pretty much mandatory that you go liquid? (considering no delid)

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Sampsy said:

We'll ultimately have to wait for reviews. Buuut... these are big CPUs which are going to kick out a LOT of heat. Them not being soldered could genuinely be a problem. 

Then don't buy one... o.O

Do you know how many bad products are out the on the market? One or two more won't let the planet explode.

Just now, done12many2 said:

That's even nicer.  Do you happen to know what they cost?

No but his contact is right there. He's still active I believe and a good guy from what I understand.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

@done12many2 Do you think something like the Cooler Master V8 GTS would be enough for the i9 7960x/7980xe on stock? Or these are pretty much mandatory that you go liquid?

Sure that would be enough.  More then plenty for use at stock clocks.  The clocks speeds / voltage when all cores are firing will be low enough at stock speeds.  The very second you start increasing voltage, even moderately, you'll begin having thermal issues for sure.  :D

Of course, I truly have no real idea until I get one myself.

11 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

They absolutely do not have to. Their margins are insanely profitable as it is. This is cheaping out, please don't defend them on this it's wrong of Intel and you know it.

I am definitely not defending them! They should have soldered the 6+ core CPUs! I just can't think of any reason why they would do something like that.... :/

10 hours ago, Pohernori said:

You think intel cares enough to make their HEDT CPUs affordable? 

That's the last thing they would do. 

Maybe, because Ryzen is very competitive... :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

23 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah ik, hence why I'm still a bit skeptical about that explanation :P 

The part about the Pentium 4 does seem to make a bit of sense in his favor though, since they were soldered and had smaller dies. At the same time though, I just looked it up and it looks like the P4 had a max operating temperature of around 70C instead, which could explain why (thermal cycling isn't as intense).

But the Pentium 4 was a 130nm CPU tho.... The 7700K is a 14nm CPU :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I just can't think of any reason why they would do something like that.... :/

I can only imagine that it was for cost savings and I hope it was because soldering was damaging many chips and not to just save a few dollars on each chip.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I can only imagine that it was for cost savings and I hope it was because soldering was damaging many chips and not to just save a few dollars on each chip.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well... They are trying to compete with Ryzen so a $1000 8 Core CPU wouldn't sell too well :D

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, that's what I thought as well... They are trying to compete with Ryzen so a $1000 8 Core CPU wouldn't sell too well :D

A $600 CPU (on a more expensive platform) that only has an IPC advantage won't sell too well either -- it really needs the clockspeed advantage as well. If Intel didn't think Ryzen was a threat then they wouldn't have slashed the price of a 7820x 40%.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A $600 CPU (on a more expensive platform) that only has an IPC advantage won't sell too well either -- it really needs the clockspeed advantage as well. If Intel didn't think Ryzen was a threat then they wouldn't have slashed the price of a 7820x 40%.

AVX? Ryzen's AVX performance is quite bad compared to Intel's....

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

AVX? Ryzen's AVX performance is quite bad compared to Intel's....

I'm not saying reasons don't exist -- HEDT also has quad channel memory and more PCIE lanes, but that's not enough for most people to warrant paying more than double the price. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 6 months later...

This of not being soldiers also applies to the series xeon w.
Since the xeon w-2155, is basically the i9-7900x with support for 512GB of ECC ram and 4 lines pcie more