Having never gamed above 60Hz before, I just snatched a deal on a 144Hz monitor...

pyrojoe34

Now I'm ruined... I'll never be able to go back... I'm stuck paying for premium displays from now on.

I was able to snatch a Predator XB271HU (1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync, 27") on clearance at Costco for $400. I couldn't pass a deal like that to I took it home and I have to say, the high refresh rate is awesome (although in games like BF1 I only play at about 80fps since I like to max out the settings, even from 60 to 80 the difference is huge). Not only that but I'm completely sold on G-sync... I think that is the biggest improvement for me. The lack of tearing is amazing and lower frame rates feel much smoother. I think I'll always need some sort of adaptive sync on any monitor I get from now on. The last time I had such a huge change in my gaming experience was when I went from cheap speakers to a 7.1 headset (so many sounds I'd never heard before).

I was saving up for a 34", 75Hz, 21:9 (I really like a larger screen) but I decided to try it out anyway and I'm sold. I just sit closer to it to get the bigger screen experience and still get all the benefits of a gaming monitor. It also meant that I could move my 4K TV and HTPC/NAS to my living room for an awesome couch experience. I just stream controller-based games like Rocket League to my HTPC for some comfortable gaming or split-screen sessions.

The only things I still want to upgrade on this build is getting an M.2 drive (why is NAND still so expensive! ramp up production already!) and my GPU. I'm just waiting to see if Vega forces an Nvidia price drop on the 1080 or 1080Ti... or maybe hold out until Volta...

Anyway... there's no point to this post, just letting you all know that I'm now sold on high refresh rate and G-sync monitors.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

I honestly think you'd have had better experience with the ultra wide 1440p rather but not that this 144hz monitor isn't going to be great... I'm just the kind of person that favours single player games, content creation and so on before CS:GO.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Now I'm ruined... I'll never be able to go back... I'm stuck paying for premium displays from now on.

Had exactly the same feeling. 

It can't POSSIBLY get any better....

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I honestly think you'd have had better experience with the ultra wide 1440p rather but not that this 144hz monitor isn't going to be great... I'm just the kind of person that favours single player games, content creation and so on before CS:GO.

Maybe but I do also have the 29" 21:9 as a secondary for any productivity so I still have the real estate. Also this monitor was over $200 cheaper than the 34" 21:9 I was going to get. Really it's the G-sync that I noticed the most... I also play more single player games (with the exception of BF1) but I can always stream more cinematic games to my 4K TV for the big screen experience.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

12 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I was able to snatch a Predator XB271HU (1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync, 27") on clearance at Costco for $400. I couldn't pass a deal like that to I took it home and I have to say, the high refresh rate is awesome (although in games like BF1 I only play at about 80fps since I like to max out the settings, even from 60 to 80 the difference is huge). Not only that but I'm completely sold on G-sync... I think that is the biggest improvement for me. The lack of tearing is amazing and lower frame rates feel much smoother. I think I'll always need some sort of adaptive sync on any monitor I get from now on. The last time I had such a huge change in my gaming experience was when I went from cheap speakers to a 7.1 headset (so many sounds I'd never heard before).

I was saving up for a 34", 75Hz, 21:9 (I really like a larger screen) but I decided to try it out anyway and I'm sold. I just sit closer to it to get the bigger screen experience and still get all the benefits of a gaming monitor. It also meant that I could move my 4K TV and HTPC/NAS to my living room for an awesome couch experience. I just stream controller-based games like Rocket League to my HTPC for some comfortable gaming or split-screen sessions.

The only things I still want to upgrade on this build is getting an M.2 drive (why is NAND still so expensive! ramp up production already!) and my GPU. I'm just waiting to see if Vega forces an Nvidia price drop on the 1080 or 1080Ti... or maybe hold out until Volta...

Anyway... there's no point to this post, just letting you all know that I'm now sold on high refresh rate and G-sync monitors.

Snap, that's good. How can IPS have high refresh rate? Wait where's the response time specs?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Snap, that's good. How can IPS have high refresh rate? Wait where's the response time specs?

No idea but it can even factory OC to 165Hz (which is complete overkill for me so I don't bother). I'm pretty sure IPS has been able to do 144Hz for a while now, it just can't do 240Hz like the new VA monitor can. It's also 1440p (not UHD) so there's no bandwidth issue using DP.

The GTG is 4ms.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I totally agree, running games at higher refresh rates are very noticeable. I wanted a better monitor since my monitor only runs at 60 hz. I even tried to overclock my monitor but I can only get 62 hz out of it.

3 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

No idea but it can even factory OC to 165Hz (which is complete overkill for me so I don't bother). I'm pretty sure IPS has been able to do 144Hz for a while now, it just can't do 240Hz like the new VA monitor can. It's also 1440p (not UHD) so there's no bandwidth issue using DP.

The GTG is 4ms.

Now that VA is so crazy

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

I totally agree, running games at higher refresh rates are very noticeable. I wanted a better monitor since my monitor only runs at 60 hz. I even tried to overclock my monitor but I can only get 62 hz out of it.

I still care about PPI more than I do about high refresh rate. But I casually game, so that's probably why. So I went with a 980 TI and a 4k monitor.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

I still care about PPI more than I do about high refresh rate. But I casually game, so that's probably why. So I went with a 980 TI and a 4k monitor.

Agreed, PPI is huge to me, I can't stand seeing aliasing. I went from a 4k 43" (102PPI) to the 27" 1440p (109PPI) which was already pretty huge. It doesn't help that I had to play a lot of games at 1080p since my GPU couldn't do 4k in newer games so that jump was from 51PPI to 109PPI which was massive.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

Just now, Orangeator said:

The PPI is important too(though I only care about the response time of monitor) but I'm only a casual gamer too. I'll mostly game on whatever is available at the time or at the location I'm at as long as it's not a tv which can have really high response times especially modern tv's. Turning on Game mode helps but still laggy. I still got a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma (Heavy AF at 90 pounds) bought new turned 10 years old. It overscans the desktop a little bit (my newer vizio tv don't do that). It has a response time that is higher then my hp monitor but I'm used to it from my years of using it with a PS3

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

This is why you get two monitors. 60 FPS is painful after playing at 144 FPS, almost like playing at 30 FPS again if you're used to 60 FPS

14 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

This is why you get two monitors. 60 FPS is painful after playing at 144 FPS, almost like playing at 30 FPS again if you're used to 60 FPS

I get 250 fps in csgo. Should I get a 240 hz monitor if i play a lot of CS

57 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I suppose so, my ultrawide at 80hz already is fine enough for me for the time being nonetheless [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

I get 250 fps in csgo. Should I get a 240 hz monitor if i play a lot of CS

Do it, and report your experience

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 hour ago, MilfShake said:

Do it, and report your experience

let me scrap together like 500 bucks and ill tell ya. But first i need to add a bit more ram to my rig