[UPDATE #1] AMD readies AGESA microcode update to improve Ryzen DDR4 memory compatibility (finally!)

34 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

What are these problems/issues y'all are taking about?  the thing powers on, doesn't blow up, works and is highly competitive.  Where's the beef?

I know the issue they're talking about. It's not an intel processor. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

What problems?  Intel hasn't had a launch close to this bad in the last 10 years.  Hell DDR4 has been in the consumer space for the last 3 years and AMD *still* fucked it up.

Notice I said in the past so if it happened a 100 years ago still doesn't change the fact that it happened.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Does anyone happen to know why AMD couldn't or wouldn't use XMP? Does Intel own the full rights to it?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Can someone wake me up when we get access to more than 6 timings for ram? Simplifying the most fun component to overclock simply isn't cool.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Does anyone happen to know why AMD couldn't or wouldn't use XMP? Does Intel own the full rights to it?

Intel owns XMP, it's their technology.

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

XMP is for their cpu's, amd's is called something different

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Can someone wake me up when we get access to more than 6 timings for ram? Simplifying the most fun component to overclock simply isn't cool.

How do you want to be woken up... a fanfare ? or good ole air horn ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Intel owns XMP, it's their technology.

I know that, but didn't AMD's FX have a similar process for calling on the XMP?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I know that, but didn't AMD's FX have a similar process for calling on the XMP?

DOCP I think. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

DOCP I think. 

I know that on FM2+, there's A.M.P. (AMD Memory Profile).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

X99 wasn't a beta product either. Having a rough start doesn't make something a beta product. I know this is splitting hairs, but I point this out because saying something is factually beta when it's not is incorrect. (like some have done on this thread)

Anyone who acts surprised that a new architecture/platform is having problems is either new to this or is just looking to start fanboy fights. Early adopters know what they're getting themselves into, and if they don't then they should have done their research before buying into a new architecture.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Skylake didn't have anywhere near the level of issues, neither did Haswell. But Haswell-E did. 

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

There's a difference between launching a new architecture that people have to understand how to get the best out of it, and launching an unfinished product and trying to fix it and finish it along the way.

42 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

It's kinda pointless talking to him and some others whose name I shall not mention when it comes to AMD... They blatantly ignore that intel had such problems in the past because you know intel doesn't have issues with their products.

Yea just like how our Intel based HP DL380 Gen9 servers didn't have firmware issues that caused ESXi to purple screen of death when using the internal dedicated SD card slots for ESXi, yep nothing in the last 10 year :P. It's not like we had 40 of these servers all in production running real live VMs or anything when the issue started to show itself.

The bigger and more complex the the architecture the higher the likelihood of issues, there have almost always been minor problems on the Intel HEDT/Server platforms it's just that some of them only show up in server use cases and not always desktop. The Ryzen architecture is more akin to HEDT and what everyone is complaining about isn't that serious at all, the system works but some ram manufactured before Ryzen isn't fully optimal which isn't that surprising. If it isn't crashing systems or corrupting data it isn't that serious plus is actively being improved.

Just now, leadeater said:

The bigger and more complex the the architecture the higher the likelihood of issues, there have almost always been minor problems on the Intel HEDT/Server platforms it's just that some of them only show up in server use cases and not always desktop. The Ryzen architecture is more akin to HEDT and what everyone is complaining about isn't that serious at all, the system works but some ram manufactured before Ryzen isn't fully optimal which isn't that surprising. If it isn't crashing systems or corrupting data it isn't that serious plus is actively being improved.

INB4 "Isolated incident"...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yea just like how our Intel based HP DL380 Gen9 servers didn't have firmware issues that caused ESXi to purple screen of death when using the internal dedicated SD card slots for ESXi, yep nothing in the last 10 year :P. It's not like we had 40 of these servers all in production running real live VMs or anything when the issue started to show itself.

I wasn't even going to mention that problem with the HP servers lol

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So isolated it caused a global firmware update advisory by HP ;).

Hopefully it came with an annoying tone over primetime television.

Spoiler

I'm joking.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Its an entirely new series of processors on an entirely new chipset. Remember X99's smooth launch? 

Shhhh it was intel so it doesn't count

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Skylake didn't have anywhere near the level of issues, neither did Haswell. But Haswell-E did. 

That  my friend is because the last time intel innovated was around the same time Apple bothered with it. Since Sandybridge there has been very very little innovation in the consumer lineup only a new socket as a big middle finger to anyone wanting any form of a upgrade path. thats why so many people still gaming on second gen i5's and first gen i7's. both my redstone and Lapis build would be such a tiny TINY performance increase chaning to 7th gen. 

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

What problems?  Intel hasn't had a launch close to this bad in the last 10 years.  Hell DDR4 has been in the consumer space for the last 3 years and AMD *still* fucked it up.

Its not a Issue with DDR4 by itself, its a whole new architecture, basically its How it uses the ram. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

That  my friend is because the last time intel innovated was around the same time Apple bothered with it.

So then how come there were problems with X99? There was little innovate there too then. 

6 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Its not a Issue with DDR4 by itself, its a whole new architecture, basically its How it uses the ram. 

The issue is the shitty IMC.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

this is gonna be interesting, especially the 4000+ mhz memory benchmarks.

10 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

A product recall and Anandtech calling out an overall bad chipset launch, so... Let's just sweep this one under the rug. 

the real question is how fast does the infinity fabric ripple ? is it stain and tear proof ?

On 5/8/2017 at 9:10 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

Beyond 3200MHz the performance benefits are not worth the price difference. As long as most kits up to 3200MHz work, that'd be sufficient in my opinion.

As long as I can run my LPX 3200 at full speed, I'll be perfectly happy.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, Loot said:

the real question is how fast does the infinity fabric ripple ? is it stain and tear proof ?

Heard it was made from the finest spider silk and was engineered to be baby proof