Are MS business practices actually going to have you switch to Linux?

Are MS business practices actually going to have you switch to Linux?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you switching?

• Yes
    • No
    • Will consider

The only reason I still use windows are games. As soon as I can get hardware that supports it you can bet I'll go for kvm with gpu passthrough.

Aside from games, windows does nothing for me that I couldn't do on linux - often better.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

As soon as I can get hardware that supports it you can bet I'll go for kvm with gpu passthrough.

You will still be running windows in that case, just in a VM. I doubt that MS cares whether or not you run their OS on bare metal or in a VM, as long as they can sell you a license.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

46 minutes ago, Urishima said:

You will still be running windows in that case, just in a VM. I doubt that MS cares whether or not you run their OS on bare metal or in a VM, as long as they can sell you a license.

I don't care what microsoft wants, I care about my usage experience. I already have a license so that's a non issue.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I know it's a small sample size, but the poll so far is showing interesting results.

I expected a much stronger showing to stay on Windows.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I know it's a small sample size, but the poll so far is showing interesting results.

I expected a much stronger showing to stay on Windows.

I'd bet 80% who said they're switching to Linux:

• are lying
  • were going to switch regardless
  • want to but aren't going to and just want to be cool

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I made the switch a while back. It's a pretty good time too as well:

• Ubuntu is very stable
  • Software available that allows you to play windows games on linux
  • no more dealing with Microsoft's increasingly questionable decisions

No, but they will make me Hackintosh my PC and switch it to MacOS. Its simply a better OS compared to Linux. More apps, more support, better features, etc. Only downfall of MacOS is the work arounds you have to do to get it run on any non-mac computer and lack of official game support. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 5/8/2017 at 4:18 AM, Droidbot said:

-Snip-

VAC is shit, many know that already. 

This is why every developer is creating their own sniffers. (Battleye, Easy-Anticheat, etc.)

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I work for a games developer and it's all written and hosted on Linux. Software runs from Ubuntu, Blender, Gimp, Inkscape, DarkTable (awesome), render farm etc. Software dev is javascript (nodejs, 3d libs), Eclipse, IDEA, VSCode, Java, etc.

Back end is Apache HTTPD, NGinx, Java, JBoss, Ratpack, Coherence data grid, PostgreSQL, Apache Cassandra, CentOS, Ubuntu Server plus loads more

The one thing on Linux that has changed everything for us is Docker. This has transformed our development. We now run our software in Docker containers orchestrated with Kubernetes. This is what Google uses to shuffle software around its million plus servers.

We would never even think of using Windows for any of this stuff. This is all battle tested in production. We also have centrally managed software updates.

We have all sorts of hardware connected to our Linux desktops from printers, scanners, video capture, some huge monitors for the 3D stuff. SANs using 40Gbe adapters getting insane throughout.

When I hear people saying that Linux is not ready, I just utter "bollox" under my breath. I've been using Linux since Ubuntu 5.10 (nearly 12 years) at home and at work and would NEVER switch back. I've never paid for an OS in my life (money wise). I do contribute back to open source projects when I can though (code, testing, docs).

On 2017-05-13 at 3:17 PM, kango_v said:

When I hear people saying that Linux is not ready, I just utter "bollox" under my breath.

I'm not British so I whisper "Bullshit" but I feel the same way, the people who say that don't have a clue.

I've been evaluating my options for a while, so I'm in the "will consider" camp. I'm using Windows 10 as my main desktop OS at the moment, and that isn't going to change overnight. My constant fighting with it to do what I want to do, and when, not what MS thinks I should do, is a friction point that wasn't present in Win7. I'm not sure the advantages of Win10 outweigh the disadvantages of older Win7, but the EOL of Win7 is visible on the horizon so is no solution looking forwards.

If I break up my usage there are two parts:

1, gaming

2, everything else

There is no reason I can't switch today to another OS for #2. I have experimented with various Linux and hackintosh (as tester, would buying real hardware if I like it), and either could do. I've checked my paid for software, and MacOS is better supported should I switch. However, is the grass really greener on the other side? The various Linux and MacOS have their different quirks. Am I switching one set of annoyances for a new set? My level of understanding of either is still far below Windows levels, and there will be new pain involved in figuring out how to do stuff beyond the basics.

Gaming is still heavily Windows dominated. Even if my day to day OS were switched, I would see myself keeping a Windows system for gaming, at least until MS ruins that too by dumbing it down to Xbox levels, then we're all screwed.

I also tried SteamOS, and it is pretty slick and works. The problem remains that there aren't enough releases on Linux.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm dual Booting Mint Mate and Windoze on two potato laptops we had lying around. Linux is nice since I actually get that traditionally Apple feeling of "it just works" (that doesn't exist with Apple anymore) 

My main desktop is W10 pro and I'm actually really happy with it, much less frustrating than 8.1 and if you have the hardware to back it up it's really smooth 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I'm dual Booting Mint Mate and Windoze on two potato laptops we had lying around. Linux is nice since I actually get that traditionally Apple feeling of "it just works" (that doesn't exist with Apple anymore) 

My main desktop is W10 pro and I'm actually really happy with it, much less frustrating than 8.1 and if you have the hardware to back it up it's really smooth 

I quite enjoy Windows 10 personally. The improved Snap features are quite nice when you have multiple windows open, and the included multi-desktop feature is great - it has been with Mac OS for some time, but it's still nice to have, even though I personally never use it, but maybe I'll force myself to use it one day. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Been considering it for years, but until I get a full adobe suite or viable alternative (too many pieces of the puzzle missing) , and I could play the bulk of my game library on there, im stuck with Windows.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

[removed]

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've tried switching, unfortunately though, my hardware doesn't get along well with Linux.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

until steam on linux can run every single game in my library (and my folder of alternatively acquired video games) , i'm staying with windows

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

19 minutes ago, mikat said:

I switched to linux for programming and then back again with the creators update & WSL stuff, windows + linux terminal = all I need 

forgot about this until you mentcioned it, just installed it on my machine. Pretty cool. Already trying to work out how to get GTK graphical stuff working haha.

sauerbraten on windows would be cool :)

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

51 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

forgot about this until you mentcioned it, just installed it on my machine. Pretty cool. Already trying to work out how to get GTK graphical stuff working haha.

sauerbraten on windows would be cool :)

All I need is the terminal, installed Zsh & my favorite prompt (pure) and everything is very nice :D

Just now, mikat said:

All I need is the terminal, installed Zsh & my favorite prompt (pure) and everything is very nice :D

seeing neofetch inside windows is amusing

untitled1.png

Home PC:

Work PC:

On 2017-5-19 at 0:08 AM, mikat said:

yup

c47fc92bb4858b2c087261b13833e702.png

Wow, the freedom days are back

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

On my personal machine, I've switched to Debian for everything except games that only work in Windows.  I use hardware pass through to run Windows in a VM for gaming.  However, I am stuck using Windows at work all day as our environment is 99.999% Windows.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

i made the switch as soon as all the privacy stuff came up... way to scary.. now happily running ubuntu!

She/Her