AMD RX580 or NVIDIA GTX 1060

Hey guys i am looking to invest in any of these which one should i get? 

(budget is no issue since both are nearly the same price)

ya that is what i was thinking as well thanks for the reply

If FreeSync isn't a concern, get the cheapest between the two.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

23 minutes ago, Alinass said:

580. itll do beter in the future and it beats the 1060 in a lot of games

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

If FreeSync isn't a concern, get the cheapest between the two.

I almost always say rx580, and if you choose a freesync display instead of G-sync. Freesync is common in most monitors as it's literally a $5 module with no licensing fee, where-as NVidea charges various amounts per proprietary module depending on screen size, type, res, refresh etc. and also forces the manufacturer to pay a licensing fee too use the NVidea proprietary module THEY ALREADY BOUGHT FROM Nvidea?!? Makes me mad. Add to that, they will be commonplace in TV's soon do to AMD/Radeon Technologies signing on for the next two gens of consoles with Sony and Microsoft (and Intel's new APU graphics for their CPU's starting either this coming gen or the next, I forget), means freesync will be everywhere for pennies on the dollar (literally).

Yeah, performance the 580 8gb has just nudged ahead in most games, even dx11 over the 1060 SCC atm, and that is without the extra VRAM usually mattering in those games, as DX12/Vulkan becomes more and more common, more VRAM being needed in the future, the 580 is the way to go. If it's a holdover until next year, whichever is cheaper, if you have a G-sync already, then get the 1060 SCC 6 GB.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

10 minutes ago, crzyces said:

The 8 GB Gigabyte OC'd Gaming rx 580 is $218 right this very second.

Probably because Gigabyte is a shitty brand.  Of course if you can get it in a good brand for less than or equal to the 480 equivalent, definitely do it. I was just saying it's an option.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Probably because Gigabyte is a shitty brand.  Of course if you can get it in a good brand for less than or equal to the 480 equivalent, definitely do it. I was just saying it's an option.

If you say so. I can think of about 10 other respected tech channels off the top of my head that would say you were ignorant (not stupid, ill-informed). Anyway, the Powercolor Red Dragon and MSI Armor were also 219 yesterday. They have both gone up too $228 and $229 respectively. I guess they "Shitty" brands as well?

Edited by crzyces
The Gigabyte model that is $219 today is not the OC'd version, just the normal gaming.

7 minutes ago, crzyces said:

If you say so. I can think of about 10 other respected tech channels that would say you were ignorant (not stupid, ill-informed). Anyway, the Powercolor Red Dragon and MSI Armor were also 219 yesterday. They have both gone up too $228 and $229 respectively. I guess they "Shitty" brands as well?

Powercolor is meh, MSI is great.

Gigabyte has a tendency to include really cheap fans, or (with other hardware) stop updating drivers too soon.

Edit: I should point out that I'm sure they've made some fine products.  You probably own something fine by them.  However, they've gained a negative reputation in the past few years.

Edited by JoostinOnline

6 hours ago, Alinass said:

RX 580. Same performance today better performance tomorrow xD

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

RX 580 beats a GTX 1060 by a few single %, while the 1060 beats a RX 480 in a few single % (overall 27 games).

Overall.. doesn't matter. Depends which one is cheaper, quieter, better Overclockable, Power consumption, which driver you like more, which games you play...

You will NOT notice the few % performance differences, not now, not in 2 years. No matter, which one of them raises 2-3% higher than the other ^^

I personally would get the RX 580, because it supports Freesync, and you will be able to get a Freesync monitor MUCH cheaper, than a G-Sync monitor (that starts at 400+ bucks). Which is the Main reason i would get it.

Btw for recommendations for a RX 580:

#1: Nitro+ / Asus strix. Both one of the quietest, and good temperatures. (Nitro+ was horrible on the RX 480, this time they did REALLY good)

MSI Gaming X is sadly worse than last year, and noticeable louder than Nitro+ / Asus Strix.

XFX or Sapphire RX 580 all the way

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd get an rx480 or save for a 1070 as they aren't much more expensive than a 1060 (in the UK)

Capture.PNG

They are perform the same right now, but AMD cards have tended to scale better over the years, and the RX580 has 8GB of Vram. So I'd get that one. 

a bunch of these people are from canada so ofc they will tell you get amd, but i suggest you check benchmarks and see for yourself that a 1060 beats the 580 in most games, and lets not talk about power consumption, a 580 consumes power as much as a gtx1080 founders edition LULz

10 hours ago, Alinass said:

Going to share my unpopular opinion and say gtx 1060.

True there is a slight lead in performance for the 580, but it does this at a large power draw increase and more heat. 

I own a sapphire 480 atm and sort of regret buying it. The GPU kind of feels sluggish for the performance it has. Minor stutters every now and then (and no, rest of cpu doesnt bottleneck it. I7 4790k, 16gb ram 2133/9, ssd). also a bit audible if not wearing headphones. Gets a little hot (pushes 80 sometimes). 

A very important thing I missed was, what games that I play are faster on the 1060 and sadly it turned out the games that the 480 wins in, are not ones that I play. Don't think it'll be any different in 580

8 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

AMD cards also heat up house in winter

Yeah, all cards do, technically speaking. Your point?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I guess the point is, both cards are good. They get hot. When the rx 480 came out with a 6 pin connector it got very hot. People still think "It got hot at release. No way they could have changed cooling or molex connections. That would be, oh idk, common sense? The RX series is less power efficient. The RX 480/580 4gb>1060 3gb in about 75% of games. The 8 gig 580's or flashed 480's > than 1060 SSC in about 70%. This makes some NVidea fans mad.

5 hours ago, bakidota said:

a bunch of these people are from canada so ofc they will tell you get amd, but i suggest you check benchmarks and see for yourself that a 1060 beats the 580 in most games, and lets not talk about power consumption, a 580 consumes power as much as a gtx1080 founders edition LULz

I agree. He should watch some bench,arks from the last couple of weeks. Watch the games played. If most are configured for NV, that's kinda a benchmarking issue. There is a difference in configured for and supported by when describing a game.

Most Red sites have been pretty honest with benchmarks. Most green sites (even the ones that claim not to be are less unbiased. I think it's because most have owned NVidea's since the 700 line) favor lean, intentionally or not, towards avoiding games unless they know NV does well in them.

Some are really bad. I was watching a benchmark video the other day. You have to keep an eye on the clock speeds and voltage, as I've un-subbed from 7 sites in the last month for their undervolting/underclocking AMD cards. 1 went so far as to use an underclocked 570, and when I asked about it via twitter, because something was very very wrong with the results, it turned out to be a 570 mini 4gb, the description of the video was changed, but 570 4GB vs stock radeon 580 8GB vs 1060 SCC 6GB made it look silly. Didn't matter, as the 580 still lost in all but 2 games out of 11. Another was using a 1070 as their 1060 in some DX 12 games. The VRAM gave it away. Idiot. These were tech sites with over 50k subscribers. That's not right. (There are plenty of sites that test the 570 against the 1060 which is fine, just list it and be honest; a $220 usd card should beat a $170usd card).

The 27 game benchmark test seems like it is always on point, the best card winning 14 or so, 3 too close to call, the other winning 10 (give or take on the numbers). The most recent non-biased site reviews were a bit different (there are 5 that come to mind: if the 1060 was OC'd too 2000, the 580 was oc'd too 1450-1500. None of this GTX 1060 running at 2k and the 580 running at 1110 nonsense. That being the case, apples for apples, the AMD chip won about 75% this time. A big shift from "Whoever has the latest drivers wins 6 out of 10.

Still, besides a few games, the scores are still so close, if it is a card I can only use this month, I'm picking the least expensive 6 or 8 GB model.

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

I agree. He should watch some bench,arks from the last couple of weeks. Watch the games played. If most are configured for NV, that's kinda a benchmarking issue. There is a difference in configured for and supported by when describing a game.

Most Red sites have been pretty honest with benchmarks. Most green sites (even the ones that claim not to be are less unbiased. I think it's because most have owned NVidea's since the 700 line) favor lean, intentionally or not, towards avoiding games unless they know NV does well in them.

Some are really bad. I was watching a benchmark video the other day. You have to keep an eye on the clock speeds and voltage, as I've un-subbed from 7 sites in the last month for their undervolting/underclocking AMD cards. 1 went so far as to use an underclocked 570, and when I asked about it via twitter, because something was very very wrong with the results, it turned out to be a 570 mini 4gb, the description of the video was changed, but 570 4GB vs stock radeon 580 8GB vs 1060 SCC 6GB made it look silly. Didn't matter, as the 580 still lost in all but 2 games out of 11. Another was using a 1070 as their 1060 in some DX 12 games. The VRAM gave it away. Idiot. These were tech sites with over 50k subscribers. That's not right. (There are plenty of sites that test the 570 against the 1060 which is fine, just list it and be honest; a $220 usd card should beat a $170usd card).

The 27 game benchmark test seems like it is always on point, the best card winning 14 or so, 3 too close to call, the other winning 10 (give or take on the numbers). The most recent non-biased site reviews were a bit different (there are 5 that come to mind: if the 1060 was OC'd too 2000, the 580 was oc'd too 1450-1500. None of this GTX 1060 running at 2k and the 580 running at 1110 nonsense. That being the case, apples for apples, the AMD chip won about 75% this time. A big shift from "Whoever has the latest drivers wins 6 out of 10.

Still, besides a few games, the scores are still so close, if it is a card I can only use this month, I'm picking the least expensive 6 or 8 GB model.

why check 1231311231 websites when you can just watch gamers nexus 580 review, they are most legit review source in USA, not to mention their testing methodology is far more superior than anyone else, BTW you didn't even comment about the 580 consuming as much power as a gtx1080 founders edition card, which proves my point Canadian people on this forum lure others to buy their homemade products.

On 2017-5-8 at 0:39 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

My friends 480 is like smoking hot while my 960 is very chilly card and heat is kinda big issue in small rooms.