Can companies get it together with naming?

49 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Please enlighten me. What was the big difference when just saying the name? The day the new Titan X was released everybody had to add extra words or letters to the name because it was the successor to the brilliantly named Titan X. At the time and currently, there are two totally different GPU's with the EXACT SAME NAME.

Cooler + full naming.

The Titan X had the blacked out 980/980Ti cooler.

Titan X Pascal has the blacked out 1080/1080Ti cooler. It has triangle bits and the 900 series cooler doesn't. This made sure people knew that the Titan X Pascal was right with the GeForce 10 series. 

The Titan X was officially called the "GeForce GTX Titan X" while the Titan X Pascal was called the "NVIDIA Titan X". Oddly the Titan X Pascal bears GeForce GTX LED even though it does not hold that title. 

The Titan Xp is called the "NVIDIA Titan Xp" No GeForce moniker because it is not a GeForce card. The Titan Xp also does not bear the GeForce GTX LED. 

It's ok to struggle with comprehension. But taking a nose dive from the official naming convention is just silly. But this is LTT and silly is their thing. 

ez

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

OK, fine. You proved my point.

Everybody does it. Probably makes them easier to find in search engines. It is obnoxious though.

I used to be quite active here.

Every godamn time i read SC2, i remember this:

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

At least on some level of merit, you can discern what features are on what hardware with longer names

Unlike Intel. What the heck does "K" have anything to do with a locked multiplier or not other than the word "lock" having a K in it?

Of course, now you're getting Intel renaming the Xeon lines with Xeon Gold and Platinum instead of E5 & E7.  On the marketing side, they could aim it at Pokemon players as in you have to collect them all... xD

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some tools decided to call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP. That is the definition of being special.

Nvidia did not call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP so there was no reason too. 

The difference between the Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal was obvious enough imo. 

Nvidia created the Geforce GTX Titan X, a Maxwell based card.

They then created the NVidia Titan X, a Pascal based card, that retained the 'Gefore GTX' logo on the shroud.

Super obvious which card we're talking about, if we only say 'Titan X,' and not many people are actually going to know that the XP isn't a Geforce GTX card, especially when it says it is right on the fucking side.

Tech spec differences are obvious, when we know which one we're talking about. And instead of typing the following each time:

Titan X Pascal

Titan X Maxwell

Titan X 2016

Titan x 2015

We decided to save time and keystrokes, and used 'Titan XM' for the Maxwell version, and 'Titan XP' for the Pascal version.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some tools decided to call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP. That is the definition of being special.

Nvidia did not call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP so there was no reason too. 

The difference between the Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal was obvious enough imo. 

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Please enlighten me. What was the big difference when just saying the name? The day the new Titan X was released everybody had to add extra words or letters to the name because it was the successor to the brilliantly named Titan X. At the time and currently, there are two totally different GPU's with the EXACT SAME NAME.

It's in the friggin' naming on the boxes they come in and in the marketing materials and press releases. You can go to their website and see for yourself.

Spoiler

GeForce GTX Titan (Kepler, GeForce 700 series)

GeForce GTX Titan Black (Kepler, GeForce 700 series)

GeForce GTX Titan Z (Dual Kepler, GeForce 700 series)

GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell, GeForce 900 series)

Nvidia Titan X (Pascal, GeForce 10 series)

Nvidia Titan Xp (Pascal, GeForce 10 series)

Do we see "GeForce GTX" anywhere in the last two cards in the marketing material and on the boxes for the Nvidia Titan X and Nvidia Titan Xp? Of course not, except on the card itself, which for all that's holy, I don't get, since it's really a) not shown in the 3D renders of the product and b) not marketed towards gamers like us (which if you need/want something high-end, the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti makes waaay more sense, as the Nvidia Titan X and Nvidia Titan Xp will run you an extra USD ~$200 per 1.0% increase in performance). The two Pascal Titan cards share the same thing in common: They use Nvidia as the prefix and either Titan X (pre-GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) or Titan Xp (post-GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) as the suffix, and nowhere in the packaging, marketing materials, and press releases is there GeForce GTX in the naming of these cards.

What's so hard about calling either one "Nvidia Titan X" or "Nvidia Titan Xp" to distinguish them all? The Maxwell one was clearly named "GeForce GTX Titan X", and lacks the Nvidia name, except if you need to tell someone who is the vendor of the card that is, but any smart person who is informed will know by now.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

23 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Cooler + full naming.

The Titan X had the blacked out 980/980Ti cooler.

Titan X Pascal has the blacked out 1080/1080Ti cooler. It has triangle bits and the 900 series cooler doesn't. This made sure people knew that the Titan X Pascal was right with the GeForce 10 series. 

The Titan X was officially called the "GeForce GTX Titan X" while the Titan X Pascal was called the "NVIDIA Titan X". Oddly the Titan X Pascal bears GeForce GTX LED even though it does not hold that title. 

The Titan Xp is called the "NVIDIA Titan Xp" No GeForce moniker because it is not a GeForce card. The Titan Xp also does not bear the GeForce GTX LED. 

It's ok to struggle with comprehension. But taking a nose dive from the official naming convention is just silly. But this is LTT and silly is their thing. 

ez

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nvidia created the Geforce GTX Titan X, a Maxwell based card.

They then created the NVidia Titan X, a Pascal based card, that retained the 'Gefore GTX' logo on the shroud.

Super obvious which card we're talking about, if we only say 'Titan X,' and not many people are actually going to know that the XP isn't a Geforce GTX card, especially when it says it is right on the fucking side.

Tech spec differences are obvious, when we know which one we're talking about. And instead of typing the following each time:

Titan X Pascal

Titan X Maxwell

Titan X 2016

Titan x 2015

We decided to save time and keystrokes, and used 'Titan XM' for the Maxwell version, and 'Titan XP' for the Pascal version.

Noted the cooler and naming scheme in my above post.

That 20 minute time difference though, dial up real bad these days, eh?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Noted the cooler and naming scheme in my above post.

That 20 minute time difference though, dial up real bad these days, eh?

A) The "Nvidia Titan X' DOES retain the Gefore GTX logo on the side.

B) The fucking cooler is absolutely irrelevant when people are TALKING about the card. It's also irrelevant if anyone watercools them, which isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination for anyone on this forum to do if they can afford one for thier personal system.

The XM was officially called the Geforce GTX Titan X, but most consumers either don't know that, or don't give a shit. And when your followup RETAINS THE FIRST HALF ON THE NAME OF THE PREDECESSOR ON THE PHYSICAL ITEM, reasonable people will make the conclusion that it's also the "Gefore GTX Titan X."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

A) The "Nvidia Titan X' DOES retain the Gefore GTX logo on the side.

I'm well aware. Read this quote carefully:

Oddly the Titan X Pascal bears GeForce GTX LED even though it does not hold that title. 

It bears the LED or "logo on the side" but does not hold the title. 

Just now, Drak3 said:

B) The fucking cooler is absolutely irrelevant when people are TALKING about the card. It's also irrelevant if anyone watercools them, which isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination for anyone on this forum to do if they can afford one for thier personal system.

The XM was officially called the Geforce GTX Titan X, but most consumers either don't know that, or don't give a shit. And when your followup RETAINS THE FIRST HALF ON THE NAME OF THE PREDECESSOR ON THE PHYSICAL ITEM, reasonable people will make the conclusion that it's also the "Gefore GTX Titan X."

1. The cooler is just an easy way to remember what it looks like. From there a competent user can assume which card is which.

Even if they are watercooled, the owner will specify which card they have. These are Titan owners not GT 740 owners. When you truly ascend to Titan status you're going to let people know what's what. And most of the time the card is bought before it is watercooled so the owner would be fully aware what card they have. 

2. Fan hub and the name on the card is also different. On the left is the GeForce GTX Titan X and on the right is the nvidia Titan X. 

The fan hub changes for black to silver

The name goes from Titan to Titan X

cd4187c7d587e880348dba24b4e3287c.png

We could start a new thread - Longest product names - 

I'll start with this one; (This takes the cake).

Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation Beta 1.2 for Microsoft Pre-Release Software WinFX Runtime Components

Top that. :P 

/s

@GoodBytes

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

We could start a new thread - Longest product names - 

I'll start with this one; (This takes the cake).

Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation Beta 1.2 for Microsoft Pre-Release Software WinFX Runtime Components

Top that. :P 

/s

@GoodBytes

I win 

NEW! MIni TV Lap Tray for iPhone or Smart Phone, New Product. Gift, Artisan Made. Each one unique stressed Hardwood with Brass on Wood Handles. Watch Movies or UTube hands free propping up your phone on Mini TV Tray. Sturdy, Solid Construction. Very versatile: Use in Bed with iPhone or Smart Phone on Tray, use as a Bedside Tray, or in lap on Lazy Boy Recliner, or Home Theater Chair. Unique, Love It! Great as outdoor serving Mini Tray, or single person tray for snacks or drink on table! Use as serving or Individual Mini Tea Tray for Tea and Crumpets! Completely Assembled. Tropical Look. Be the first, just came out to market, Use as organizer Mini Tray for accessories, kleenex, pen and paper, food, treats, snacks, drinks, chocolates all in one place. small, designer look. Stop worrying overcome loosing things. Finally. Best way to beat clutter. Incredibly useful. Imagine, a conversation piece "Mini TV Tray". Tell others, order a few - one for each person. Beat the frustration of finding things or having them roll off your lap. We ship the next day after you click the buy button to buy for your HappyShop Experience. Lifetime guarantee for your Happiness!.
by HappyShop4U

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

13 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I win 

<snip>

Err I found that myself but there is more than one item in that garbled mess so I did not use it. But sure.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER