Intel acknowledges security flaw in intel Management Engine

The Intel Management Engine (ME) has a security flaw; a remotely exploitable security hole.  Even if the remote management features are disabled, the machine flaw can still be exploited locally.  This flaw has been known for years, but nothing has been done about it until recently.  It is possible that this flaw is being used out in the wild.  The issue exists because the Intel Management Engine (ME) controls network ports and has direct memory access.  The ME has the ability to write to and read from any memory in the system.  Including encrypted disks once they have been unlocked.  The ME also has the ability to read and write to the display as well as send data out over the network.  These activities can be done without leaving any log traces behind.  The features of the Intel Management Engine are strongly helpful to IT departments in corporate environments but are of little to no use to average consumers, yet the features appear in part or in whole in almost every Intel product.

Intel is working on patches, but for OEM systems it will be up to the OEM suppliers to provide them.  Some smaller OEMs may not be able to offer the patches, while others may only offer patches for products within their warranty period.  Due to the wide time frame of products with the flaw, a situation similar to the latter could leave a large amount of vulnerable systems as up to half or more of the products affected would be out of the warranty period.

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/05/01/remote-security-exploit-2008-intel-platforms/

Read intels advisory here: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00075&languageid=en-fr

EDIT - it appears this flaw only exists in the components of the Management Engine used in vPro enabled CPUs.  It may also require a compatible chipset and network interface.  Here is a list vPro CPUs.  You will notice some consumer products are indeed in the list such as Sandy Bridge.

http://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&VProTechnology=true

More reading: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amt-vulnerability-me-dangerous,34300.html

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted quite a few times prior to this new development.

Intel's ME has had issues for quite [a while]. 

Edit: Incorrect grammar.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm pretty sure this has been posted quite a few times prior to this new development.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/230342-report-claims-intel-cpus-contain-enormous-security-flaw

You'd be correct. This has been reported in the past. The article I linked mentions it goes all the way back as 2009.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/230342-report-claims-intel-cpus-contain-enormous-security-flaw

You'd be correct. This has been reported in the past. The article I linked mentions it goes all the way back as 2009.

I suppose I should change the title to Intel acknowledges security flaw, because the point is they have issued an official advisory and are working on fixing it.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

way back as 2009

2008 actually, sine Intel Nehalem 

Is this the flaw that let you break out of VMs?

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

no, it's vPRO

related to Active Management

Eh, pretty sure it was only on Core I series and lower end Xeons, no big deal for me.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

3 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Eh, pretty sure it was only on Core I series and lower end Xeons, no big deal for me.

it affects everything vPRO since 2008 to Kaby Lake - PCs and devices that utilize Intel Active Management Technology (AMT), Intel Standard Manageability (ISM), or Intel Small Business Technology (SBT)

*wonders if this flaw can be used to break the Readyplay DRM*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*wonders if this flaw can be used to break the Readyplay DRM*

You know since it does have the ability to intercept display it could potentially subvert some DRMs.  I am unsure about audio.

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

no, it's vPRO

related to Active Management

It will allow you to break in to VMs though, Intel AMT has unrestricted and unlogged access to everything. Which means yes you can use it to break out of VMs.

The problem is quite simple, the ME controls the network ports and has DMA access to the system. It can arbitrarily read and write to any memory or storage on the system, can bypass disk encryption once it is unlocked (and possibly if it has not, SemiAccurate hasn’t been able to 100% verify this capability yet), read and write to the screen, and do all of this completely unlogged. Due to the network access abilities, it can also send whatever it finds out to wherever it wants, encrypted or not.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It will allow you to break in to VMs though, Intel AMT has unrestricted and unlogged access to everything. Which means yes you can use it to break out of VMs.

That's what I thought, I was trying to find my e-mails with my clients about this from 2014 or 2015 but I wasn't able to find the specific exploit reports.

-KuJoe

Damnit. My Laptop's CPU has vPro enabled......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

21 minutes ago, Jinchu said:

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/48429.html 

according to this article, you have to be worried only when you are using a computer that has had AMT enabled. That being said the whole ME deal is shady. 

If you have the Intel ME/AMT drivers installed there is a service, LMS, that can be used to talk directly to the ME firmware. This is the local only attack vector and can be used to configure AMT and enable it for network access.

Intel has a mitigation advisory document that advises to disable that service completely until new firmware is patched.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

If you have the Intel ME/AMT drivers installed there is a service, LMS, that can be used to talk directly to the ME firmware. This is the local only attack vector and can be used to configure AMT and enable it for network access.

Intel has a mitigation advisory document that advises to disable that service completely until new firmware is patched.

So now  it's a big deal for Intel, but they didn't care last year, or ant year before that?

If this were Microsoft or AMD, proteome would lose their minds. It really seems that people don't really get upset if Intel makes a mistake and ignores it for 9 years.

People have been upset the entire time - even before any flaws were discovered.  It's something that has no business being in consumer level hardware in the first place, only corporate hardware.

So this is "only" an issue for chips that has vPro, correct?

Because if it is, then it's quite far from "virtually every" Intel chip.

It's still a really bad situation, and shows why having backdoors with extremely high privileges is a really bad idea, but hopefully it's not as if all computers in the world are vulnerable. For example the 7700K does not have vPro, and neither does any of the standard i5 and i7 that most people on this forum would buy for their desktops.

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

and shows why having backdoors with extremely high privileges is a really bad idea,

this is a flaw not an intentional hole. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's still a really bad situation, and shows why having backdoors with extremely high privileges is a really bad idea, but hopefully it's not as if all computers in the world are vulnerable. For example the 7700K does not have vPro, and neither does any of the standard i5 and i7 that most people on this forum would buy for their desktops.

The X99 i7s also don't have vPro enabled (5820k - 6950X).

Edit 9:37 - it looks like only the mobile cpus support vPro.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 hours ago, Fetzie said:

The X99 i7s also don't have vPro enabled (5820k - 6950X).

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It does appear that fewer consumer chips include it than they did in the sandy bridge days.  Only one I was able to find was the 7700 from the current generation.

6 hours ago, Fetzie said:

Every HP/Dell etc business desktop has Intel AMT/vPro support and some of the advanced features in Windows Enterprise editions required vPro support, this really only effects businesses as consumer devices almost always don't have AMT or AMT is disabled by the OEM and isn't configurable at all.

There's more to it than just having a CPU that supports vPro thankfully.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Every HP/Dell etc business desktop has Intel AMT/vPro support and some of the advanced features in Windows Enterprise editions required vPro support, this really only effects businesses as consumer devices almost always don't have vPro or vPro is disabled by the OEM and isn't configurable at all.

There's more to it than just having a CPU that supports vPro thankfully.

I cannot confirm that the software support for it ships with the Optiplex 790, but I did the system check on mine with a blank media windows 7 install and it definitely did detect the firmware and the revision of it.  It does list as isamtenabledinbios as 00 so it's probably disabled tho I may have done that myself, I don't remember.  Even though it is a clean install of Windows, it still reports in the AMT detection tool results in the registry that it's a Dell Optiplex 790.