A keyboard and mouse are examples of hardware?

Cy-Fy

So yeah my I.C.T. teacher just told me that and I feel lie I disagree so what do you guys think???

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

How is it not hardware? It's a physical object that connects to your computer, with integrated circuits...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

well it is a physical object...

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

It's not software...

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

So yeah my I.C.T. teacher just told me that and I feel lie I disagree so what do you guys think???

Of course it's hardware.  Whoever says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

It's hard so its hardware!(thats the most straight forward way i can explain it to you :P) but hey we all learn new things everyday ;). Now you know

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

That came straight out of the Date Rape Handbook...

Haha, didn't even occur to me.

Wow, I've never really noticed but we have disturbing similarity.

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuun :P

Wow, I've never really noticed but we have disturbing similarity.

That we do. Wiggling eyebrow GIFs are where it's at.

Not hardware by it's full meaning, but at least partly it is. I'd call it input device.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Not hardware by it's full meaning, but at least partly it is. I'd call it input device.

An input device is also hardware.

Calling them 'hardware' is like calling a human a mammal. We are but generally you'd use the most specific nomenclature (i.e. primate or even just human) to avoid confusion, in this case you'd generally use peripherals or input device. Something along those lines. They are hardware you just don't really refer to them as such.

If sorting between just hardware and software as the only 2 categories available though, you'd put mouse and keyboard in hardware.

How is it not hardware? It's a physical object that connects to your computer, with integrated circuits...

They are normally called peripherals, but I guess you can call them hardware too.

Calling them 'hardware' is like calling a human a mammal. We are but generally you'd use the most specific nomenclature (i.e. primate or even just human) to avoid confusion, in this case you'd generally use peripherals or input device. Something along those lines. They are hardware you just don't really refer to them as such.

If sorting between just hardware and software as the only 2 categories available though, you'd put mouse and keyboard in hardware.

I can't multi quote everyone so I hope this will do...

I don't see much like hardware because it is not like the computer NEEDS it if you know what I mean... the computer will still work fine even without any keyboards/mice connected... I don't know if I explain myself but for example I wouldn't call a MIDI keyboard controller hardware or even a pair of headphones,,, they are all connected to the pc and have circuitry inside them tho... maybe it is just me hehe  :D

I can't multi quote everyone so I hope this will do...

I don't see much like hardware because it is not like the computer NEEDS it if you know what I mean... the computer will still work fine even without any keyboards/mice connected... I don't know if I explain myself but for example I wouldn't call a MIDI keyboard controller hardware or even a pair of headphones,,, they are all connected to the pc and have circuitry inside them tho... maybe it is just me hehe  :D

I gotta disagree, in terms of computers I'd say hardware is anything physical that makes up the entire computer system, to which a mouse and keyboard are required while a MIDI interface or headphones aren't. Even then I'd almost be tempted to call them hardware.

I gotta disagree, in terms of computers I'd say hardware is anything physical that makes up the entire computer system, to which a mouse and keyboard are required while a MIDI interface or headphones aren't. Even then I'd almost be tempted to call them hardware.

well yeah you're right too.. it is just kinda hard to change the way you think about things but I gotta do it cause I want good marks in my exams right...