Amazon Look, Not a security device, just a fashion conultant

WMGroomAK

The image of a security camera like device that was shown in early March has now been confirmed to be the Amazon Echo Look, an Amazon Echo device that is suppose to be your style assistant.  From an article on Hot Hardware: 

http://hothardware.com/news/amazon-echo-look-is-a-200-vanity-camera-for-fashionistas

That’s right, the Echo Look is meant to help you determine if that that top goes with those shoes, or if that chic jacket is all wrong for those skinny jeans. Amazon uses an onboard depth-sensing camera along with artificial intelligence algorithms for this so-called “Style Check”.

Since the Echo Look is voice activated, it serves as the ultimate selfie camera, allowing you to snap full-length pictures or take short videos by belting out the requisite command. You can even compose a 360-degree view of your chosen outfit, so even you can see how those pants look from behind if you’re carrying a little extra junk in the trunk.

small_echo_look.jpg.a62bbde9dc0affbf086cf755f50664e4.jpg

So I guess we now get to pose for Amazon to help us select our daily style...  I'm thinking the kinda creepy thing is that this is supposed to help you select 'stylish' clothes, however, how do you know what it is doing with the images it is now collecting...  

EDIT:  Well some of the additional information from TechCrunch just makes this seem even creepier...  According to TC:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/26/amazons-camera-equipped-echo-look-raises-new-questions-about-smart-home-privacy/

What happens to the video and photo content once it’s been captured? It all goes into the cloud – and stays there indefinitely, until the user deletes it. The content lives on the AWS in an encrypted form (it’s also stored on the mobile device that triggered it). Once there, “Designated Amazon personnel may view photos and video to provide and improve our services, for example to provide feedback through Style Check,” says Amazon. The company adds, “we have rigorous controls in place to restrict access to these images.”

As you’ve probably already deduced, the company reserves the right to serve up ads based on the information it gathers. That’s what Amazon (and Google and Facebook and pretty much everyone) does. However, the company adds that, “We do not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display our interest-based ads.”

Which is to say, it’s worth routinely combing through the content that you capture and make sure there’s nothing you don’t want said designated Amazon personnel looking at. The company believes that its server encryption is secure, and it promises not to share any of that info, but the more these connected devices become a key part of our day to day lives, the more diligence we have to have to make sure they’re only seeing and hearing the things that we want.

The good news is that the camera is not supposed to turn on unless the key word triggers it, but still, any photos taken with this are uploaded to Amazon's Cloud and designated Amazon personnel can view the photos...

Edited by WMGroomAK
Additional Article

Seriously now, who wants this? Who would enjoy having an internet camera with closed software in their closet while they're dressing up? I suppose people may not understand what an internet microphone truly means, but a camera... how hard can it be to make the connection?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nice! Another way to be spied on.

If you're not concerned you're not paying attention.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Every day we get closer to becoming nothing but a product. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Nice! Another way to be spied on.

If you're not concerned you're not paying attention.

Just imagine the first lawsuit when the police or some other agency tries to petition Amazon for Look images in addition to the voice recording.  One of those 'Did Alexa see the criminals face and hear them?' arguments.  Although at that point, it would be functioning as a security camera, except for it's intended placement.

Its for those Kardashian wanna be's. Here let me take a thousand photos a day to post online.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well some of the additional information from TechCrunch just makes this seem even creepier...  According to TC:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/26/amazons-camera-equipped-echo-look-raises-new-questions-about-smart-home-privacy/

What happens to the video and photo content once it’s been captured? It all goes into the cloud – and stays there indefinitely, until the user deletes it. The content lives on the AWS in an encrypted form (it’s also stored on the mobile device that triggered it). Once there, “Designated Amazon personnel may view photos and video to provide and improve our services, for example to provide feedback through Style Check,” says Amazon. The company adds, “we have rigorous controls in place to restrict access to these images.”

As you’ve probably already deduced, the company reserves the right to serve up ads based on the information it gathers. That’s what Amazon (and Google and Facebook and pretty much everyone) does. However, the company adds that, “We do not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display our interest-based ads.”

Which is to say, it’s worth routinely combing through the content that you capture and make sure there’s nothing you don’t want said designated Amazon personnel looking at. The company believes that its server encryption is secure, and it promises not to share any of that info, but the more these connected devices become a key part of our day to day lives, the more diligence we have to have to make sure they’re only seeing and hearing the things that we want.

The good news is that the camera is not supposed to turn on unless the key word triggers it, but still, any photos taken with this are uploaded to Amazon's Cloud and designated Amazon personnel can view the photos...

33 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Well some of the additional information from TechCrunch just makes this seem even creepier...  According to TC:

What 2 decades ago would have screamed as "Totalitarian Nightmare" is now "hot new tech so Women can buy clothes".  When the Robot Apocalypse happens, as least we'll finally have an answer to "does this make my butt look big?".

13 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Just imagine the first lawsuit when the police or some other agency tries to petition Amazon for Look images in addition to the voice recording.  One of those 'Did Alexa see the criminals face and hear them?' arguments.  Although at that point, it would be functioning as a security camera, except for it's intended placement.

I continue to be astounded by people that keep buying things that honestly serve no real purpose but to collect your data. I see no benefit at all to having a Google Home, Amazon Alexa or this Echo. I mean what can they really do, turn something on or read you the weather and news? They don't eliminate any hassle or relieve you of any effort whatsoever, yet people keep buying these things and laughing at and ignoring people who criticize the devices for spying.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

15 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Uh, that already happened. Though as far as i can remember Amazon came back and said they would comply with all "legal" warrents as required by law. In this case it turned out Amazon had no records of any conversations held at the same time, but that doesn't mean they wont in the future. And they've already set precedent that if the police follow procedure they will give up the information.

http://crimefeed.com/2016/12/alexa-do-you-have-evidence-in-this-case-arkansas-authorities-subpoena-amazon-com-in-what-may-be-precedent-setting-case-for-the-internet-of-things/

Then there was the case of someone getting busted by their IoT water sensor because they were washing off the blood or something.

{insert url here because i cant find it yet}

Basically, all you people think that it doesnt matter if these things are recording everything and saving god knows what to god knows where are just sticking your head in the sand and hoping it al works well.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)