Silencio! (Ryzen Upgrade-Build-Log)

David89

It has been a while, since I made one of these. Around 4 years to be exact. Well, after Upgrading from the 750K to an 860K, a dead motherboard, to the RX 480, finally Ryzen was there. As i refused to buy Intel, I had to make due, what AMD had to offer. AM3+ was a dead plattform, pretty much every new feature had to be added with extra chips by the motherboard and i didn't want to deal with any of that. So i had to "limp along" for quite some time now in terms of power. Still - FM2+ was energy efficient, the 860K @ 4,4 GHz did have decent enough power (around an i5-4460) , so that most of the time the GPU Limit at 1440p was the "problem".

I've been a Linux user for quite some time now (~ 6 years) and with Metro: Last Light Redux was the first game i only played on Linux. But OpenGL is a huge power hog and while it was still playable at ~ 30-40 FPS, the "new" Hitman came along and wanted even more. My main Windows was 8.1 (and still is with Ryzen), since i quite like it. IMHO it offers the best blend out of Windows 10's power and Windows 7's Design philosophy and it can even look exactly like Windows 7. I only had Windows 10 on a spare 60 GB SSD to at least be "in the loop" - working in IT-Support this is quite important. But, i finally had a reason to try DirectX12, and i was actually amazed how good it was. But then, i wanted to try something else, so i got Doom and tried Vulkan. Under Linux. And holy crap, solid 60 FPS. Unfortunately I don't really like Doom. The only reason to have kept Windows 8.1 was Elite Dangerous, because you can't get the Luancher to work (DirectX/Graphics are fine...game itself launches, but complains). So all in all, there was no urgent need to upgrade. But - i digress.

This was in January, fast forward to last week, I finally got the package.

sfLOeDVh.jpg

hSkSEt6h.jpg

So let's get the old stuff out...

cIH6UmJh.jpg

Ah, damn, i knew it...that explains the rising temperatures over the last few months. Was suspecting something like that, but too lazy to check 9_9

erRGpVlh.jpg

Looks nearly the same...(sorry for the strange position i was taking the photo in...was pretty excited and slammed that thing in there...)

sBOCgITh.jpg

Oh, so is that why Ryzen doesn't overclock that well...? :P

JvXYWqVh.jpg

Wasn't sure about that logo at first, but i'm starting to like it.

uvTuBTXh.jpg

Thermalrights mounting kit took almost 4 weeks to arrive...

ziIb4Bsh.jpg

But i have to say, i'm not really happy with the build quality for around 110 bucks. That old ASUS A88X-Pro did cost ~ 20 less and was so much better build, it's a shame ASUS didn't have a "good enough" B350 Board in that price range...

(Yes, that S-ATA port is croocked and yes, it still works, but it looks not very good inside the case...but cable management is another topic in itself...) Also, the CHA_FAN Headers are placed pretty idiotic.

5OoyvY8h.jpg

(ASUS)

txfOVhKh.jpg

(ASROCK)

Hru1lhbh.jpg

After some tinkering, 3 Bios Updates and some more tinkering, the sad thing is: I can't get my Ram working with anything above 2400 MHz. Even upping voltages on the memory controler doesn't work. (Let alone the fact, that the settings in the UEFI are extremely basic for the voltages, while others have settings i can't even begin to grasp - taking screenshots of the BIOS also does not work, so i'm sorry for the crappy quality)

07n9Apbl.jpg

5DVlfJml.jpg

At least overclocking worked - and it actually works pretty good with C-States, so i don't loose any powersaving features.

4.175 GHz...! Not bad at all...

JKzM2Mzh.jpg

However, it still is only Air-Cooling and AMD recommends 1,45VCore max. for 24/7 and ~89°C tcl is too much for my taste. So i dialed it back a bit to 3,95 GHz.

tHdkluXh.jpg

71°C tcl max. and 61°C on the CPUTIN is absolutely fine with me, especially considering, that this all is inside a silent case, with not that good airflow and it still is pretty quite. (Around 43 dB while all fans running at max., around 25-27 dB in Idle)

Also, Power Consumption is pretty fantastic:

Non-AVX, Full-Load, OCed to 3,95 GHz (AVX is ~ 200 Watts):

EBnpW0Fh.jpg

Stock Non-AVX, Full-Load:

2NrvEbJh.jpg

Idle (bare in mind, i've got 2 HDDs and 3 SSDs, as well as some USB Devices connected):

sgI1qioh.jpg

Gaming(on Linux - on Windows it's about 25 Watts more, since the RX480 is running@1400 MHz):

T7K0X6nh.jpg

And while were at it, some Benchmarks:

QA83DaUh.jpg

R5 1600@3,95 GHz

6TpLSnwh.jpg

Metro 2033 Redux on Linux (Test1 is the 860K, 1440p, everything maxed):

D8jI3dc.jpg

Unfortunately i only have RAW-Data for Hitman on Linux (1440p, Ultra, no AA):

860K:

Min.: 7 FPS, Max.: 46 FPS, AVG.: 27 FPS

R5 1600:

Min.: 5 FPS, Max.: 173, AVG.: 57 FPS

That Minimum is one loading stutter on the very first few frames on the Benchmark - after that it runs absolutely smooth. I guess this has to do with loading it from the HDD, not the SSD.

The funny thing though is: DX11 on a "fresh" (but very customized) Windows 10 install gives me less FPS, both in Max. and AVG. DX12 is around 10 FPS faster in AVG and get's up to 200 FPS on some parts. So...Linux bad for Gaming...? I don't think so.

Oh: And the GPU is at 1400 MHz on Windows...

So, all in all i'm very happy with the Performance. I do hope i'll get the Ram up to at least 2933 MHz with a newer Bios (the last one is a Beta Bios from the 10th. of April) and i have to do something about those Ketchup Cables and Cable Management all around. Unfortunately, that isn't easy with the Board-Layout and how the Cables are routed in the Case. I may need to get a different PSU

VWHByf6h.jpg

Looks pretty sad, doesn't it?

PS: Sorry for the crappy Picture Quality. I've been meaning to use my DSLR, but I was so excited, I totally forgot to charge the battery...and i couldn't wait any longer :D

Edit:

Parts-List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (That's the wrong Link - apparently the 3000 MHz Kit isn't available in the U.S.)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: INTENSO ELITE1207041170 60 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 650 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: FSP Group 400W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Acer K272HUL Ebmidpx 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor

Good news everyone...!

4 minutes ago, David89 said:

Looks pretty sad, doesn't it?

Agh, the dust! xD 

Anyway, welcome to the 6 core+ club, hope you enjoy your stay here...(btw, I just made that club up right now...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Agh, the dust! xD 

Anyway, welcome to the 6 core+ club, hope you enjoy your stay here...(btw, I just made that club up right now...)

Well, the dust is only temporary :P

Thanks, it's good to be here :D I've just compiled a Kernel, while editing some RAW-Photos from my DSLR...12 Threads are darn good :D

Good news everyone...!

What are you going to do with the old 860k CPU?

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

What are you going to do with the old 860k CPU?

My brother got my 750K back in the day, he's going to get the 860K and i'll probably going to downclock the 750K to ~ 2 GHz and will use it as a NAS - or so that is the plan for the moment. But my Brother apparently also want's Ryzen... :D So - i have actually no idea right now

Good news everyone...!

Was wondering if you'd be willing to sell that CPU for really cheap, but before I'd start a bidding war... Not sure if it would fit in my pc... And how big of an improvement it would be.

(used userbenchmark to compair, but that site is a bit crappy and not always correct)

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Was wondering if you'd be willing to sell that CPU for really cheap, but before I'd start a bidding war... Not sure if it would fit in my pc... And how big of an improvement it would be.

(used userbenchmark to compair, but that site is a bit crappy and not always correct)

If you are running your A8 really at 4.5 GHz Stable, the improvement would only be minute. It would fit, since FM2+ is backwards compatible, but you would not get PCIe 3.0. However, Power Consumption would be a lot less. But - looking at your System, you'd need a dGPU, if you change to the 860K, since it's not an APU.

Good news everyone...!