How to block someone from my home wifi (Impossible need help asap)

Go to solution Solved by Kingen34,
1 minute ago, Fr3dr1k said:

1. Go to the devices list of your router and get the MAC of the device you want to block

2. Go to mac filtering

3. Set mode to bridge+route

4. Set protocoll to all

5. Set source address to the MAC you found in the device list.

6. Leave destination to blank

Hard part is getting the right MAC address.

Okay so I'm pretty sure i found my answer here. For any furthur help to other folks needing this help:

1. First and foremost you need the local MAC address for MAC Filtering.

2. This can be found easily on you phone or any device that has a wireless network card. (Just google "How to find my MAC address on my "Phone")(Copy this for later use)

3. If your setting page look like mine did or if you have anything that look sorta old like this one head to SECURITY - MAC FILTER. (This of course vary from router to router, but something in this style or just find MAC Filter that looks like this.

4. Check enable

5. Mode for a successful block shall be Discard/Block

6. For the type BRIDGE did not work so go with ROUTE

7. Now type in the MAC adress that you acquired earlier in step 2 and type it only in the SOUCE MAC address box(es)

8. Finally click add and your done!

So I'm using a H368N ZTEEG04E6R01093 and im trying to block a person in my house on my wifi, because the person is taking up waaay too much bandwith. (and yes i have a password on my wifi, also not a factory one) In the system settings for this router when you type in 192.168.1.1 and log in, you can simply block someone from your net like with other wifis. (This is because my ISP apparently choosed to remove certain features from this router for some reason) I know the method of blocking a network in the basic way, but it seems like when I try to use the "MAC Filtering" it wont work. (My guess for this is that i lack the knowledge of it, however I do understand it, the Filtering proccess for MAC, need a Source mac addres and a Destination address(http://imgur.com/a/7RlaV) and i don't know how to get hand of a Source and Destination address) Then there's IP Filtering. Okay this is something I quite not dosn't understand. (http://imgur.com/a/1S2yZ) I have all kind of ways of obtaining the IPs MACs and so on. This problem isn't like any other problem ive faced before so I need some help with configuring the Blocking proccess. Mainly becuase I don't want to be unable to use my WiFi at all only because one person is taking up all the brandwith. (No it is not possible to get more brandwith and also not faster network since it isn't available where i live)

IP Filtering.png

Mac filtering.png

Use mac filtering, and do not input anything into destination mac. You will of course need to input the mac address of the wifi client into source mac.

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

Use mac filtering, and do not input anything into destination mac. You will of course need to input the mac address of the wifi client into source mac.

Do I need to change any of the settings in the MAC Filtering page, for example "Type" and "Protocol"?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

First thing get a better router with qos then you can do this easily. 

So I actually have a question about that, if you buy a new router (which I have of course thought of doing for a while) and replace your ISP one, how exactly is that going to work? Is it just plug and play or does it require setup?

3 minutes ago, Kingen34 said:

So I actually have a question about that, if you buy a new router (which I have of course thought of doing for a while) and replace your ISP one, how exactly is that going to work? Is it just plug and play or does it require setup?

please printscreen the settings page of " mac filter" then we might be able to give you some proper advice instead telling you to buy another router which isnt necressary here :)  (unless the router/modem from your IPS isnt good enoug, dropping wifi or something)

You could change the password.  Kicks all devices off until they put the new password in.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

You could change the password.  Kicks all devices off until they put the new password in.

could be a solution indeed chance password and just poweroff the router for a sec to kick everybody off

Isn't necessary since the person is lives in the same place as i do, the pasword is pretty long aswell so I don't want to do that... I also want this to be a half permament thing, so thats why it can't just change the password

Just now, Kingen34 said:

Isn't necessary since the person is lives in the same place as i do, the pasword is pretty long aswell so I don't want to do that...

Then you are stuck to using a mac filter (hope that guy or girl doesnt know how mac spoofing works otherwise it wont help much)

Just now, Kingen34 said:

Isn't necessary since the person is lives in the same place as i do, the pasword is pretty long aswell so I don't want to do that...

So you can not give them the password, and if you change the password, you won't be using the same long password.

1 minute ago, Jarno. said:

could be a solution indeed chance password and just poweroff the router for a sec to kick everybody off

Pretty much.  This is the first thing we try at my job when someone wants to kick someone off.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

please printscreen the settings page of " mac filter" then we might be able to give you some proper advice instead telling you to buy another router which isnt necressary here :)  (unless the router/modem from your IPS isnt good enoug, dropping wifi or something)

It's already on his post.

My native language is C++

There you go

Settings.png

Settins1.png

Then you are stuck to using a mac filter (hope that guy or girl doesnt know how mac spoofing works otherwise it wont help much)

They don't, i can assure you 100%

4 minutes ago, Kingen34 said:

It depends on the ISP router.  If it's a modem router, I'd disable the wireless and connect a personal router that can be more easily managed.  If ever in the future you want to change ISPs or have the ability to do so, you don't have to mess with your network infrastructure, and just connect the new ISP to the WAN port of your router.  This also allows you to become more familiar with the interface of your new router so you can better manage your network, as opposed to having to go through the ordeal again, if you switch ISPs ever in the future.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

So you can not give them the password, and if you change the password, you won't be using the same long password.

Pretty much.  This is the first thing we try at my job when someone wants to kick someone off.

Well I want a strong password and the person living here will get so annoyed if I constantly change the pass (Keep in mind that this is a home network and not a buissness network)

Well I could say the same about password hacking. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Easy.

Change SSID (the name of the wifi network that clients see)

Disable SSID broadcast (so that your network becomes invisible but still there)

Disable WPS

Change wifi password

Change router admin password if any computer is hooked up by cable

Reboot

Just don't blame me if you get punched

You should also change the Admin password for router when there are only pc's connected by wifi. you can also get access to router settings page from a computer using wifi when not protected by password.

2 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Well I could say the same about password hacking. 

Gl hacking wpa2 when u got a proper password takes way more time then mac spoofing :P (doesn't say it is impossible tough but with a very uncommon password you might be limit to force attack which takes ages)

You should also change the Admin password for router when there are only pc's connected by wifi. you can also get access to router settings page from a computer using wifi when not protected by password.

No don't have to, I just have to block the person... There is really not that many folks living here if you can say so

Chance

8 minutes ago, Kingen34 said:

There you go

Settings.png

Settins1.png

protocol at " all"    type at " all"  then only type the source mac adres and choice for add

you dont need the destionation mac adres but you might want to try to use router/modem mac there if leaving it empty doesnt work.

Just now, Jarno. said:

Chance

protocol at " all"    type at " all"  then only type the source mac adres and choice for add

you dont need the destionation mac adres but you might want to try to use router/modem mac there.

Okay, I might have found my solution, welp, I am probably retarded... So what I did was that i looked up the mac address in my ROUTER SETTINGS or what devices were connected and took THAT MAC address, now I tried on my other phone and looked up the MAC address in the phones setting (iPhone btw) Let me do a bit more testing before ill make a end to this topic

4 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Chance

you dont need the destionation mac adres but you might want to try to use router/modem mac there.

Also if I change the "Discard" to "Permit" option, does this also function on PCs that are connected by ethernet?

Just now, Kingen34 said:

Also if I change the "Discard" to "Permit" option, does this also function on PCs that are connected by ethernet?

It should not do that it only says that it permit the access for the mac adresses present in the list. 

Just now, Jarno. said:

It should not do that it only says that it permit the access for the mac adresses present in the list. 

Soooo if I choose yes, then only the addresses written there will be able to connect/use the net?