Triple 4k screens

Hi all

Been a long time since I posted on here. Many years have flown by. Anyways to the point. 

I am the lucky owner of 3x 4k Asus monitors. I am currently running a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB with allow me to play 4k game very reasonably. But clearly not at 11520x2160 Resolution. I am happy to gaming at 50 to 60fps. Before I forget I am on X99 platform with a Intel i7 6800k@ 4.1ghz. 

So the question is do I buy a single 1080ti, a second 1080 (SLI) or even two 1080ti (this option would be done in two stages)?

Thanks 

AJ

Ps Profile System updated so far

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz

Nothing can drive that many pixels reasonably. Not even triple or cuadruple 1080tis which only work on SLI for some tests not for actual gaming since it's now limited to 2 of them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't bother trying to run that resolution, no amount of money will make it work. Wait a year or two and see what the market has 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Nothing can drive that many pixels reasonably. Not even triple or cuadruple 1080tis which only work on SLI for some tests not for actual gaming since it's now limited to 2 of them.

Actually no you can have more than 2 for gaming. I think it's his only option if he wants maxed 60 fps @ 3x4k

So true it hurts

not even 1080ti sli

btw vega is coming out soon and it might be worth it

btw i dont know if you can get 3 gpus and connect a single monitor to each one. can someone answer its a question i have for a while now

Maybe like 3-4 years from now.

You will be able to play stuff like csgo or minecraft or other light games at 60fps if you use a 1080ti or two.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

not even 1080ti sli

btw i dont know if you can get 3 gpus and connect a single monitor to each one. can someone answer its a question i have for a while now

Yes you can 

So true it hurts

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

not even 1080ti sli

Vega's not gonna outperform a 1080 ti, so that argument makes no sense.

Don't make me bring out the facts on why it won't...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

Yes you can 

They won't stack though.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

use a 1080ti or two.

You make 1080 tis sound like trivial toys xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

perfect

so get 3 1080ti and put one to each monitor

That's... not how it works... You can't play the same game off all 3

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

You make 1080 tis sound like trivial toys xD 

In comparison to triple 4k screens they pretty much are :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

In comparison to triple 4k screens they pretty much are :P

Ok, fair enough...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's... not how it works... You can't play the same game off all 3

each one can render the monitor that is connected to

btw i know for a fact that you can * (forgot the name. the think when they connect) even when not sli

tested it myself with a 1070 and a 570

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

btw i know for a fact that you can * (forgot the name. the think when they connect) even when not sli

Not in the same game.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

No, that's not how multi-GPU works.

A single image that spreads across all screens is rendered at once, not split up among GPUs.

Spoiler

I would wait until next years cards, what games do you play?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Currently I on Ghost recon, playerunknown's battlegrounds, BF1, COD remastered. But I just about play every game that is released. I understand that triple and quad is out the picture. I didn't think about it as a friend had quad sli and well the problems wasn't worth it. 

So from what a gather here I pretty much screwed. If I actually wanna play at  11520x2160 Resolution. 

Although has anyone actually tried playing at this Res ?

I have tried on sniper elite 4 and Cod remastered. I cant remember what my fps was but I know I didnt like it :(.

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz

• 1 year later...

Hi AJRicho,
Did you ever test what sort of older games you could play at that resolution?
I currently have a gtx1070 and plan to get triple 4k monitors.
I have no intention of playing new games in surround without lowering the resolution first... at least not until I can buy a newer card in a few years that could obtain a playable frame rate doing so.

Cards are still too weak for that. A pair of Titan v’s would be as good as it gets if you could get them to work like 2080ti’s as far as nvm/sli goes. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I know that this a quite old thread but i thought that maybe something has changed since 2018.

I am thinking of buying 3 X Dell U2720Q monitors (3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz), with a total resolution of 11520 X 2160 @ 60Hz.

I have no intention on playing any games on my setup.

You may take a look at my signature for my system specs.

So, the question is: What graphics card can support this triple monitor setup?

Intel Core i7-3930K | Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 | Corsair Hydro Series H100i | G.Skill Ares 64GB | MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC | Creative SoundBlaster Z | OCZ Vector SSD 128GB | WD CaviarBlack 640GB | WD RED 2TB | Coolermaster Silent Pro M600 | Coolermaster 690 Pure Black Edition Case | Triple Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2311H - 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
Synology DS918+ (4 x 4TB WD RED, Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB, 2 x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 250GB)

MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch / 16GB Ram)
iPhone X 64GB Space Grey

On 4/16/2017 at 10:58 PM, SirFlamenco said:

Ideally you could buy 3 1080 or 3 1080ti, each of them powering a single monitor.

That's too far from ideal, the power consumption and heat in the box will go to the roof and SLi doesnt scale well even with two cards.. three cards will just add more jittering and have diminishing returns. 

@AJRicho Your best bet would be to game at lower resolution than 4k or to spend 2000-3000 dollars to get two 2080 ti cards but even then you wont be able to play all the games since the games that will support multiple GPUs in one way or an other is limited and many times custom configs and workarounds will be needed. 

So either wait for the 3000 series and hope theres gonna be something that could drive that at 2000 price point like a 3000 series titan or something (yea I know thats crazy money but nvidia wont come to its senses because there is no competitions and they dont care about consumers anymore that much)  or play at lower resolutions or just use the midle monitor for gaming 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, papajo said:

That's too far from ideal, the power consumption and heat in the box will go to the roof and SLi doesnt scale well even with two cards.. three cards will just add more jittering and have diminishing returns. 

@AJRicho Your best bet would be to game at lower resolution than 4k or to spend 2000-3000 dollars to get two 2080 ti cards but even then you wont be able to play all the games since the games that will support multiple GPUs in one way or an other is limited and many times custom configs and workarounds will be needed. 

So either wait for the 3000 series and hope theres gonna be something that could drive that at 2000 price point like a 3000 series titan or something (yea I know thats crazy money but nvidia wont come to its senses because there is no competitions and they dont care about consumers anymore that much)  or play at lower resolutions or just use the midle monitor for gaming 

This thread is 3 years old, obviously I didn't recommend a 2080ti because it didn't exist 

So true it hurts