Using computer as wi-fi card

Pilka

Hey,

I moved into a new place and the last family has an automatic system, that turned off internet after 10PM there is a wi-fi in the building I can kind of use, but I don't have a wi-fi card in my gaming desktop. Tethering over my phone causes huge ping, so I was thinking about using my work computer (it's a Mac for compatibility reasons, rest of office uses osx) to connect by ethernet (thus eliminating the horrible ping) and practically using it as a wi-fi card. Not looking for necessarily long term solution, since some guy is gonna change it soon( i cant, since it's in the server room for all the apartments).

Thanks in advance.

...Have you thought of just talking to whoever you pay rent to and saying 'Hey, the internet dies after 10pm and this is not acceptable.  We need to resolve this."'

4 minutes ago, Pilka said:

Hey,

I moved into a new place and the last family has an automatic system, that turned off internet after 10PM there is a wi-fi in the building I can kind of use, but I don't have a wi-fi card in my gaming desktop. Tethering over my phone causes huge ping, so I was thinking about using my work computer (it's a Mac for compatibility reasons, rest of office uses osx) to connect by ethernet (thus eliminating the horrible ping) and practically using it as a wi-fi card. Not looking for necessarily long term solution, since some guy is gonna change it soon( i cant, since it's in the server room for all the apartments).

Thanks in advance.

yeah, sharing network over Ethernet from a wireless equipped PC to another over Ethernet is easy. I used Ubuntu on both. but over different OSes might be hard

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Have you thought of just talking to whoever you pay rent to and saying 'Hey, the internet dies after 10pm and this is not acceptable.  We need to resolve this."'

As I said he should be coming in about a week. I got a really good price for the apartment and I'm not willing to not wait a week and lose it.

Why not just get a wireless Ethernet dongle. I picked up a USB one for an old workstation to connect to a wireless printer. $15 on Amazon.

Yeh just connect the mac, then turn on network sharing in your system prefs, and tell it to share via Ethernet.

Thanks for the replies l, but I have one more question. Can I share the internet connection through the wall ethernet? ?

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can easily make a ethernet bridge, just plug a cable and setup newtork sharing in osx.

Hey, 

could you please help me with this?