GloFo in trouble? pushing early retirement

32 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes yes ....

quoting GloFo spokesman:

9_9

the fab they got from IBM already was leaking cash, on top of that, GloFo invested 72 million

Anyone can paraphrase, it doesn't make you clever or a better debater. Could you be so kind as to point out where a GlobalFoundries employee says "GlobalFoundries is in trouble"?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Anyone can paraphrase, it doesn't make you clever or a better debater. Could you be so kind as to point out where a GlobalFoundries employee says "GlobalFoundries is in trouble"?

The last 6 financial analyst days??

4 minutes ago, Intrigue said:

The last 6 financial analyst days??

I'm sorry I really am struggling here...

17 minutes ago, Intrigue said:

By that logic Intel and Nvidia use the same circuits for their iGPUs. Sorry, but no. You have no evidence, and thus I'm under no burden to disprove your claim.

Well GloFO and Samsung disagrees with you

You are confusing process nodes with architecture it seems.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

42 minutes ago, Intrigue said:

By that logic Intel and Nvidia use the same circuits for their iGPUs. Sorry, but no. You have no evidence, and thus I'm under no burden to disprove your claim.

Look at the bottom of this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9959/samsung-announces-14lpp-mass-production

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

considering almost all their products are made at GloFo ... yeah, it will be bad

going to a new fab would mean delays and shortages of products or outright lack of products on the market

it would make little to no real impact long term. There would be a 3-5 month delivery issue during retooling. TSMC/Samsung would buy one of the fabs, AMD would strike a deal, and bam, back in business.
Worst case, AMD would buy one of the fabs and just run a single fab themselves until they could sell it to someone else or get parts from a different manufacturer.

glofo have been in trouble for years, this is not new, and this light restructuring doesn't mean they are closing door, they just invested alot of money on new fabs and automated systems.

the link between AMD ad glofo, is a deal where AMD have to make 1billion $ worth of wafer per year failure to do that, results in AMD paying a fine of 250mil or so, and few months back both parties revisited the deal, where AMD have the ability to use another foundry if Glofo's process hurts AMD's products and without paying the fine.

if you ask me, the deal with glofo was hurting AMD more than benefiting it, the hard limit on AMD's products for polaris and Ryzen are due to the process not the design, i think they would be better off with another foundry.

Seems a bit weird for me, considering Ryzen just launched and there's Polaris and Vega is soon...

But at the same time they only have one 14nm fab so that might explain some things...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Intrigue said:

I'm sorry, but there is neither any disagreement; nor disagreement therof, my statements thusfar.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9764/globalfoundries-and-amd-announce-first-14nm-finfet-sample-production-success

After being spun-off from AMD in 2009, the company has encountered repeated trouble releasing new manufacturing nodes in a timely process, culminating in the company canceling their internally developed 14XM FinFET process. Charting a new course, the in 2014 the company opted to license Samsung’s 14nm FinFET process, and in some much-needed good news for the company, today they and AMD are announcing that they have successfully fabbed AMD’s first 14nm sample chip.

GloFo 14nm is licensed straight from Samsung.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Don't bother. Patrick's alt account is already banned.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

I'll miss all of that salt.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

Lol that was his alt account xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

With the AMD stock skyrocketing i think it's safe to assume if GloFo goes belly flop someone else will take over the production of amd products.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Another doom and gloom article about AMD (with GloFo as a proxy), wonder who might have... oh right, of course it's zMeul.

Why is he not banned for this yet?

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Lol that was his alt account xD 

One of many. Oh well, you could easily tell by how wrong he was.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

One of many. Oh well, you could easily tell by how wrong he was.

I knew he had a lot of alts but I never thought I'd encounter one...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Citadelen said:

GlobalFoundries is not going to go bust, end off.

ZMeul stop with the sensationalist titles, Intel layed off 11% of their workforce last year, doesn't mean they're really in trouble. Not to mention GlobalFoundries is expanding 14nm production by 20% due to high demand.

I came here for news, and guess what...

3 hours ago, Notional said:

Shit I thought the air of superiority and the "my annecdotes are better than yours" mentality was familiar. :o

@Tenelia Don't worry, one day he'll slip and be banned, AMD (and their associates) could finally rest easy knowing that ZMeul isn't misrepresenting them anymore. xD

Edited by Citadelen

AMD Polaris and Ryzen are on LPE not LPP right? I remember their process is not mature enough. As far as Vega what will it be on hmm.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Don't worry, one day he'll slip and be banned

no, I won't

why? I absolutely love it when you AMD fanbois are twitching and squirming when I post about AMD

also funny: this thread wasn't about AMD and yet .. we're discussing AMD ^_^ told you, I love it! you people are brilliant, not

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:
Spoiler

no, I won't

why? I absolutely love it when you AMD fanbois are twitching and squirming when I post about AMD

also funny: this thread wasn't about AMD and yet .. we're discussing AMD ^_^ told you, I love it! you people are brilliant, not

I was bringing up your track record with their news items, the similarities with this article are in your amazing ability to draw wild conclusions and vehmently attack any positive news item about them.