AMD Ryzen R5 1600X & 1500X Review - TechPowerUp

Morgan MLGman

I missed the old days of cpus, where there is only 1 from AMD and Intel, so the comparison is either A or B, and it's easy to buy the cpu you want. Now there is. Intel i3, i5, i7, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen, etc, AMD Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7. The comparison right now to buy the cpu you want, is like looking at the fudging math equation to quantum mechanics!

Buying the right cpu from the old days

Higher is better

CPU A: ########### 

CPU B: ################# 

Buying the right cpu of today

quantum-mechanics-12908046.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

50 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I missed the old days of cpus, where there is only 1 from AMD and Intel, so the comparison is either A or B, and it's easy to buy the cpu you want.

Which days were these? :|

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

I missed the old days of cpus, where there is only 1 from AMD and Intel, so the comparison is either A or B, and it's easy to buy the cpu you want. Now there is. Intel i3, i5, i7, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen, etc, AMD Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7. The comparison right now to buy the cpu you want, is like looking at the fudging math equation to quantum mechanics!

Higher is better

Well, it's kinda simple today tbh.

Ryzen = Workstation Stuff + Light Gaming

Intel = Gaming + Light Workstation stuff.

Order takes priority 

But I understand your point... does seem like that

46 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Order takes priority 

huehuehueuhe "light gaming"

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Higher is better

Honestly I say that's one of the reasons Ryzen gets so much hate. You can't just say it's the best in everything, you can only say it's good in some places.

People wanted a processor that would just perform the best in everything, not just in certain tasks.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Which days were these? :|

Prescott and Sledgehammer :D

2 hours ago, Fonzie92 said:

Order takes priority 

No, it's more like, this is a 16 core cpu running at 3GHz, this other one is a 6 core running at 10GHz. Want a 16 cores for rendering videos at speed of light and future proof, but that 10GHz 6 cores will be better at gaming. What this quad core is only $50 bucks and you get a 2TB NVMe SSD for free?! Holy mackerel, that's a good deal !!! Wait a minute, the quad core only runs at 1.2GHz?! But but, that free 2TB NVMe RGB SSD. 

Want 16 cores for future proof, that slow clock speed doe

Want 6 cores at 10GHz for games, but no future proof like that 16 cores

The quad core is a great deal, too bad for the crappy cpu, really want that free RGB SSD!

Can't decide!

*creates topic on LTT, asking which cpu to buy*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

there were two different sockets for athlon64.

-socket 754

-socket 939

And multiple CPU models ranging from athlon64 2800, 3000, 3200, 3500 and high end athlon 64 fx.

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Higher is better

Actually, it is simple in my opinion.

If you are deciding between i5 or R5 then you most likely play bellow 100Hz and you most likely have mid range GPU, so you are GPU bound in most games and you will benefit overall more from R5 as it provides more threads/cores rather than from i5.

If you are pro gamer you want 144Hz+ monitor and high end GPU to push the frames as high as possible, therefore you go for i7 7700k.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

there were two different sockets for athlon64.

-socket 754

-socket 939

And multiple CPU models ranging from athlon64 2800, 3000, 3200, 3500 and high end athlon 64 fx.

Well it was a lot easier back then, for AMD it was either Sempron or Athlon. Athlon being the better cpu, everyone picked Athlon. On Intel side, it was Celeron or Pentium. Pentium is the better cpu so everyone went with Pentium.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Actually, it is simple in my opinion.

If you are deciding between i5 or R5 then you most likely play bellow 100Hz and you most likely have mid range GPU, so you are GPU bound in most games and you will benefit overall more from R5 as it provides more threads/cores rather than from i5.

If you are pro gamer you want 144Hz+ monitor and high end GPU to push the frames as high as possible, therefore you go for i7 7700k.

Me want both!

Speed and Power!!

Cores and Gigahertz!!!111!

:P

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Me want both!

Speed and Power!!

Cores and Gigahertz!!!111!

:P

You can, if you got some extra money... or just think in a different way if you are poor.

4 cores x 5GHz = 20GHz

6 cores x 4GHz = 24GHz

:D

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:
Spoiler

No, it's more like, this is a 16 core cpu running at 3GHz, this other one is a 6 core running at 10GHz. Want a 16 cores for rendering videos at speed of light and future proof, but that 10GHz 6 cores will be better at gaming. What this quad core is only $50 bucks and you get a 2TB NVMe SSD for free?! Holy mackerel, that's a good deal !!! Wait a minute, the quad core only runs at 1.2GHz?! But but, that free 2TB NVMe RGB SSD. 

Want 16 cores for future proof, that slow clock speed doe

Want 6 cores at 10GHz for games, but no future proof like that 16 cores

The quad core is a great deal, too bad for the crappy cpu, really want that free RGB SSD!

Can't decide!

*creates topic on LTT, asking which cpu to buy*

A 10GHz hexa core would most definitely outclass the 16 core in every performance metric. xD

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

6 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

A 10GHz hexa core would most definitely outclass the 16 core in every performance metric. xD

I am sure that you would eventually run into some diminishing returns like RAM not keeping up with the CPU speed. :D

On 4/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, Valentyn said:

Not a bad system! I refurbished and sorted out a Phenom II 940 system December for a friend.

Slapped in a SSD on a PCIe card, and an old GTX 470; and she's now got her first desktop. Still purring along, and even plays a bit of WoW for her :P

Currently putting together a similar "spare parts" build so my friend can play Starcraft 2, Dirt Rally, and Overwatch.  Grabbing my old AM3 mottherboard, adding a Zosma that we're going to attempt to unlock into a 6 core, an SSD, 8 gigs of ram and my old R9 270x (or just an RX 470 depending on how much money is available).

He gets to game, and the parts are no longer collecting dust on my shelf.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

23 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Currently putting together a similar "spare parts" build so my friend can play Starcraft 2, Dirt Rally, and Overwatch.  Grabbing my old AM3 mottherboard, adding a Zosma that we're going to attempt to unlock into a 6 core, an SSD, 8 gigs of ram and my old R9 270x (or just an RX 470 depending on how much money is available).

He gets to game, and the parts are no longer collecting dust on my shelf.

Yeah man! I love doing builds like that!

Did the same with an old Athlon 64 X2 in college for a friend. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

So, what would the best bang for buck cpu in my case, gaming being nr1 use and some side video / graphical work? Currently have a 3570k at 4.4

1600 / 1600x / 1700 / 7700k (intel is king in most games but it would hurt my bankaccount :( )

Not trying to hijack the topic but seeing allot of possitive feedback here

2 hours ago, Jeroenv92 said:

So, what would the best bang for buck cpu in my case, gaming being nr1 use and some side video / graphical work? Currently have a 3570k at 4.4

1600 / 1600x / 1700 / 7700k (intel is king in most games but it would hurt my bankaccount :( )

Get a 1600x

3 hours ago, Jeroenv92 said:

I'd second the 1600X if you're not going to OC. Almost no games scale with the extra 2c4t, but they are useful for everything else.  Savings from the differential can go into better Whatever you want in the system or just outright savings.  The Ryzen platform is still an utter beast in practically everything but Gaming, and even that's more down to API & Optimization issues than anything structural.

And it's not like the extra cores aren't useful for leaving too many tabs open in your browser, haha.

(Though it should be noted that the 1600X apparently doesn't come with a cooler. So you can actually save another ~60 USD by going with the 1600.)

Is 97th percentile equal to 3% low?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

7 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Is 97th percentile equal to 3% low?

it means you scored higher than 97% of all others. 

100th would be the best in the world. 

6 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

it means you scored higher than 97% of all others. 

100th would be the best in the world. 

How does that translate to LTT's Ryzen 5 Benchmarks

11 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

How does that translate to LTT's Ryzen 5 Benchmarks

although I haven't watched the video. it means that it's better than 97% of all other cpu in the world. Being brand new and almost equaling R7 and beating any of intel's consumer offering, that's no surprise. 

Just now, MimigaKing said:

although I haven't watched the video. it means that it's better than 97% of all other cpu in the world. Being brand new and almost equaling R7 and beating any of intel's consumer offering, that's no surprise. 

No, it refers to fps like say the fps of 1600x in doom 1080p is 60fps for 97th percentile ( not quite sure about that preposition)

So, 1600/1600X is a better move than 7700K after all? :) I'm in pretty big dilemma here to be honest.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

On 4/12/2017 at 11:32 AM, Fonzie92 said:

Order takes priority 

Not really it comes down to the games and preference: Intel parts reach a higher average but Ryzen parts often reach better minimums. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

So, 1600/1600X is a better move than 7700K after all? :) I'm in pretty big dilemma here to be honest.

If you're buying a >$500 USD graphics card, go for the 7700k.  Everything is tuned to take the most advantage of the 4c8t + high clocks and Nvidia's drivers are also tuned directly for that.  (This is part of why the talk during the Ryzen 7 launch about "future performance" came across as stupid.)

If you're not, there's actually no real reason for a 7700k over a 7600 or even 7500.

For the combination of "great performance + good future proofing", the Ryzen 5 1600 ($220 USD) + Mid-range Motherboard ($80-100 USD) + solid RAM ($100 USD) is a little monster for around $400 USD.  Then you can game at full performance and leave pretty much everything else running the background.