Car heat exchanger as a PC radiator?

Hello all!

I am upmost aware of the issues surrounding mixed metal liquid contact, therefore planned beforehand to prevent any metal mixtures. Anyhow, is it recommended/'safe' to use of a car radiator, as such: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-for-RENAULT-CLIO-KANGOO-MEGANE-SCENIC-KUBISTAR-LOGAN-SANDERO-Manual-Car-/152365515018?hash=item2379b1410a:g:GgoAAOSwtfhYrnnk for an Intel® Core™ i7-4790 @ 4.0ghz CPU? Is it sufficient  enough? I am yet unsure of which pump to use so I will likely wait until I purchase everything else.

Thank you very much! Sorry if I missed out some information required, as if I did please do not hesitate to ask me them!

-EnergyEclipse

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Yes, you could... The real question is... Why???

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

the amouht of heat a car produces is waaaaaaaay more than modern PC's produce, so that rad should keep your non-overclocked chip nice and cool.

the only problem with this is that you are likely going to get gunk from that rad into your CPU block, so you'd have to clean that out more often.

3 minutes ago, Xaring said:

Yes, you could... The real question is... Why???

OVERRRRRRRRKILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Anyhow, enthusiast ways aside thank you very much for your help!

-EnergyEclipse 

its not designed for it so i wouldn't advice it. even if it can handle much higher temps, that might mean the efficiency curve lies much higher creating worse heat transmission at lower temps (for example 70 c). cars wouldn't operate properly at too low temperatures so im assuming that is something they have designed to prevent. a cold engine is an inefficient engine.

On 4/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, RollinLower said:

the amouht of heat a car produces is waaaaaaaay more than modern PC's produce, so that rad should keep your non-overclocked chip nice and cool.

the only problem with this is that you are likely going to get gunk from that rad into your CPU block, so you'd have to clean that out more often.

I will flush the radiator through with some distilled water a good few times before I proceed to install of it in an actual system. Cars produce a million times more heat I understand, but putting my way simple:

Overkill <3

On 4/10/2017 at 7:01 AM, huilun02 said:

Yeah sure, if you manage to get the tubings to fit, a big enough reservoir, and a strong enough pump. Kind of overkill though. And where you gonna mount it? 

I was planning go on having it mounted off of a side panel on my chassis with some modifications to the left side panel, with some long standoffs holding it out from being directly in contact with it, therefore allowing airflow. I'll certainly have a powerful pump though as I can imagine the pressure you'd need for such a monster :D

Thank you very much for your help!

On 4/10/2017 at 7:03 AM, tlink said:

its not designed for it so i wouldn't advice it. even if it can handle much higher temps, that might mean the efficiency curve lies much higher creating worse heat transmission at lower temps (for example 70 c). cars wouldn't operate properly at too low temperatures so im assuming that is something they have designed to prevent. a cold engine is an inefficient engine.

Well, it is at basis just a normal heart exchanger. I mean look at this:

I cannot see anyhow as to why any poor operation should occur only from the radiator from lower temperatures considering cars are shipped globally, thus fluctuating climates shouldn't interfere with operation to any severe degree. But I suppose you're correct about the efficiency curve but I highly doubt I would be seeing 70o ever as I will have a car fan as well to accompany it.

jeee I am shaking. I so badly want to go liquid.

Thank you all very much for your mammoth help on such matter!

It's more or less how water cooling enthusiasts did it before companies like EK existed. It was a pain in the ass back then, and not worth it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 4/10/2017 at 7:27 AM, Nicnac said:

pls do a build log once you get this stuff! would love to see it :D 

Oh jee, I wish I could xD I haven't anywhere near the money as of now. But that won't stop me! I shall make sure to do so as funding gathers, as I can't wait to see how this project will turn out. Oh and yea, I do actually have a very minimalistic build log on the beginning construction of my system, 

On 4/10/2017 at 7:51 AM, Drak3 said:

It's more or less how water cooling enthusiasts did it before companies like EK existed. It was a pain in the ass back then, and not worth it.

I do love EKWB products quite a lot, especially there FF4-120 Fans & there slim line radiators <3 Awesome construction qualities.

I do remember hearing a lot about the difficulties of it, although times have changed for the btter in the liquid cooling world I would personally say. I can source things quite easily now of Over Clockers UK & Ebay UK and maybe a plumbers when it comes to the fittings which will come of the radiator.

4 hours ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Well, it is at basis just a normal heart exchanger. I mean look at this:

I cannot see anyhow as to why any poor operation should occur only from the radiator from lower temperatures considering cars are shipped globally, thus fluctuating climates shouldn't interfere with operation to any severe degree. But I suppose you're correct about the efficiency curve but I highly doubt I would be seeing 70o ever as I will have a car fan as well to accompany it.

jeee I am shaking. I so badly want to go liquid.

Thank you all very much for your mammoth help on such matter!

I hope you all have a great day!

EnergyEclipse

because it has a lot to do with fluid-dynamics and thermodynamics. yes cars are shipped globally but that was not my point, cars are meant to operate at higher temps. if they get below a certain temperature it damages them and becomes very inefficient. by this logic i would assume that they designed it in such a way that it wouldn't transfer as much heat at lower temps because that would make the car run worse, and perform optimal at higher temps which protects the car from overheating.

May I ask all though, to which fan sizing would I require of for such a mammoth radiator? I personally haven't a clue as to which measurements I should search for since I am horrific at maths. Thank you once again!

-EnergyEclipse

On 4/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, tlink said:

if they get below a certain temperature it damages them and becomes very inefficient. by this logic i would assume that they designed it in such a way that it wouldn't transfer as much heat at lower temps because that would make the car run worse, and perform optimal at higher temps which protects the car from overheating.

The car's HX has nothing to do with keeping the engine warm enough or not.  That's entirely up to the thermostat that's inline.  It opens and closes based on fluid temperatures, which are, of course, directly influenced by the heat pump that is the engine.

An HX is an HX.  It doesn't matter if it's a PC-sized one or a car-sized one.  The principles are all the same: run a coolant through the HX which has a large enough surface area such that air flowing through it cools the liquid.  Simple and easy.

The problem with our OP's plan (and I still think this is a troll that's playing out), is:

• Car HXs are usually aluminum for light weight.  Most good CPU and GPU cooling blocks are copper.  Mixed metals are silly; don't do that.
  • Car HXs are massive and require a huge amount of pressure to push the water through.  That pressure will destroy the fittings within a PC's cooling loop.  They'll just pop right off the lines completely.  The pressures required might actually obliterate the cooling blocks, too.  I'm not sure.

This whole idea is beyond stupid.  I'm sorry if the OP takes offense to my use of that word, but it's a ridiculous idea.  Put it to bed before you start spending money on a solution that will not benefit you in the least.  In fact, it'll probably cause no end of disaster.

Even if you keep everything together without fittings, lines, and blocks bursting, the amount of noise your system is going to make will be obnoxious.  Water sloshing through a car's rad will be heard in an office.  Have you even thought of what kinds of fans you're going to attach to it?  Or are you going to hope that passive cooling does the trick?

Dumb.  Beyond dumb.  Buy proper cooling gear including PC-sized rads, and build yourself a loop.  It's not hard, nor expensive.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

If you are going to use a car part for water cooling, the AC condensor would probably be a better choice... Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182516620256

Notice how it uses much smaller diameter tubing, and the radiator portion is probably much better suited for water cooling from a small pump. My first water cooled system had an AC condenser from an over-the-road truck (Semi Tractor) and the overclocked 600MHz Thunderbird operating at 1.2GHz ran at ambient temperature.

Another option is to use a heater core... Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322378965343 This one is actually made of solid copper, and isnt too expensive. It is new old stock, and you will need to clean it thoroughly. However think about how hot the heater in your car gets... that is how much heat these things can actually handle! That is a lot more than your CPU would put out.

Hope that this gives you some ideas, and is of some help.

Good luck to you!

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

2 hours ago, jasonvp said:

The car's HX has nothing to do with keeping the engine warm enough or not.  That's entirely up to the thermostat that's inline.  It opens and closes based on fluid temperatures, which are, of course, directly influenced by the heat pump that is the engine.

An HX is an HX.  It doesn't matter if it's a PC-sized one or a car-sized one.  The principles are all the same: run a coolant through the HX which has a large enough surface area such that air flowing through it cools the liquid.  Simple and easy.

The problem with our OP's plan (and I still think this is a troll that's playing out), is:

• Car HXs are usually aluminum for light weight.  Most good CPU and GPU cooling blocks are copper.  Mixed metals are silly; don't do that.
  • Car HXs are massive and require a huge amount of pressure to push the water through.  That pressure will destroy the fittings within a PC's cooling loop.  They'll just pop right off the lines completely.  The pressures required might actually obliterate the cooling blocks, too.  I'm not sure.

This whole idea is beyond stupid.  I'm sorry if the OP takes offense to my use of that word, but it's a ridiculous idea.  Put it to bed before you start spending money on a solution that will not benefit you in the least.  In fact, it'll probably cause no end of disaster.

Even if you keep everything together without fittings, lines, and blocks bursting, the amount of noise your system is going to make will be obnoxious.  Water sloshing through a car's rad will be heard in an office.  Have you even thought of what kinds of fans you're going to attach to it?  Or are you going to hope that passive cooling does the trick?

Dumb.  Beyond dumb.  Buy proper cooling gear including PC-sized rads, and build yourself a loop.  It's not hard, nor expensive.

no but what i meant was that the efficiency of the radiator might be very low at low temperatures because it was never designed to cool to such low temperatures in the first place. i know its not actively regulating temperatures. as analogy: you can strap computer loudspeakers to your ears as a diy pair of headphones, but they will be way too load to be usable because they where not designed to operate at such low volumes.

I remember seeing such a setup.

Give me a moment.  I know I saw that wacky thread on a different forum.

Yep, here is wacky job of vehicle rad cooling a computer.

GeothermalDay6035.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Aluminum radiator.  Danger will robinson.  Danger.

If you want to go big you need something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x20-Water-to-Air-Heat-Exchanger-1-034-Copper-Ports-/141564946180

I've used this seller before for their water to water heat exchanges (vs. air to water).  Exercise left up to reader to figure out adapting the 1" copper pipe to barbs.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

I remember seeing such a setup.

Give me a moment.  I know I saw that wacky thread on a different forum.

Yep, here is wacky job of vehicle rad cooling a computer.

Now that is even more ghetto than Luke's water bottle reservoir! xD Awesome find - I seriously need to meet the creator of such masterpeice.

50 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Aluminum radiator.  Danger will robinson.  Danger.

If you want to go big you need something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x20-Water-to-Air-Heat-Exchanger-1-034-Copper-Ports-/141564946180

I've used this seller before for their water to water heat exchanges (vs. air to water).  Exercise left up to reader to figure out adapting the 1" copper pipe to barbs.

Hello!

Thanks for your help on this matter! My only issue with purchasing such would be that is is situated in the USA Ebay store, therefore I likely would have to pay around £40 for shipping alone to Britain.

I shall look for something similar to as give here in the uk, as I can only imagine how powerful the atmospheric disspatation is in that xD

2 hours ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Now that is even more ghetto than Luke's water bottle reservoir! xD Awesome find - I seriously need to meet the creator of such masterpeice.

Hello!

You think that nuts.  This the peep who was building a geo thermal loop for their computers.

O, and there are still copper vehicle radiators.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, en1gMATIC said:

the heat exchanger is just a radiator

but why?

• 5 years later...

I know this is necromancy, and I know that's quite strictly enforced here, but..

What others said about the higher circulatory volume of the disembodied car system is important. I consider that a water to water HX between the computer system and the car system would be necessary, as would independent regulation of the respective pump speeds, as well as a shunt valve across the L2L HX in the computer system to disconnect it from the car system when the computer system gets too cold (if the car system is holding 5°C, it could conceivably bring the computer system down to too low of a temperature).