AMD Ryzen 7 1800x build

Hey guys, 

I built a new AMD Ryzen 1800x to take the place of my previous plex server/be my second cpu.

here are the total specs before i start telling you guys what ive noticed.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

Motherboard: MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM Amd Ryzen X370 Ddr4 Vr Ready Hdmi Usb 3 Atx Gaming Motherboard

RAM: 64 gb Trident Z DDR4 3000MHz

GPU: MSI Nvidia 1060 GTX 6gb GDDR5

CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling

CPU Cooling Fans: 2 of Cryorig CR-XTA 140mm Slim Profile PWM System Case Fan

2x ssd 128 gb for os 500gb for games. 1 128 gb sandisk and 1 500gb crucial ssd

4 plex hdds that hold plex info.

PSU: Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 1500W 80 PLUS GOLD Semi ModularPower Supply PS-TPD-1500MPCGUS-1

Case: NZXT H440 Red

Problems I ran into right away.

Firstly

Boot times. i timed it from complete shut down to boot up and it took 1  minute exactly. that is unnacceptable if you ask me on a SSD. Heat problems. immediatley i noticed idle temps in the 60C temp ranges and ive seen it jump as high as 80. Games were very choppy and i figured it was because of heat/new technology or a combination of the both. I did find alot of info online but nothing really pertaining to me. I did however read that those temps were pretty normal operating temps for the AMD Ryzen and just be sure not to se it go above "90C" BOGUUUSSS!!!  so anyways what I realized what the cooler came with some extender cables so you didnt have to plug in the two fans into the PWM hub in the back mostly because they didnt reach and i saw that the BIOS was trying to control the CPU cooler and because I didnt have it plugged directly into the board it was having a hard time doing so. I had to manually tell it in the bios to control the heat and then I had to kick the ram into overdrive. The RAM is 3000MHz but in the bios I saw it was only using 1600MHz. Also, I turned the fans off of smart control and kicked em into 100% and now i havent seen the CPU go above 54C under hard load. The chop has gone away in games as well. 

Unlike Intel, this Ryzen chipset takes alot of messing with out of the box to get it running correctly. It runs plex like a dream now and can game simultaneously.

I hope I was able to help anyone and if anyone has questions or would like me to post some other benchmarks, i can totally do that just let me know.

-HUSKER222

**EDIT** I wanted to also point something out about the PSU that i did not know prior to buying. 1500W (biggest i could find) comes with a different power plug. not only is it Bigger but the prongs in the back of the PSU are different as well. something to keep in mind.

**EDIT** 4-11-16 - I just thought to bring up the liquid cooling had no good place to mount int this case. I was only able with the fans that came with it able to mount the radiator to the top and fans on the inside. I had to buy two low profile fans and when they came in i put the radiator in the bottom on the inside of the case and the fans up top to exhaust the heat out the vents in the top. it barely fit i did have to scrape out the black matting on the top of the case on the inside panel there so the fans wouldnt rub.

5559676919337331128-account_id=1.jpg

3569862691747174222-account_id=1-1.jpg

Desktop 04.09.2017 - 08.25.43.02.png

Desktop 04.09.2017 - 08.27.25.03.png

image1 (6).JPG

Nice Build

So..... Why the Xpower? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Honestly, I wanted to be able to run my plex server (very taxing) and be able to game and use it as a second machine if i wanted to. I also really wanted to test out the AMD Ryzen and see what kind of power i could put behind it.

Plex mostly. I dont know if any of you run a plex server. I run a massive plex server. 64 gb for it to have the ram to spare. especially when multiple devices are connected and you have the pc running many different processes. before i had an i7 3770k with 20gb ddr3 it was having problems with the multiple processes.

and also why not 64gb? if the board can max out why not max it out. like i said i really wanted to test the power you can put behind the Ryzen.

another problem i did run into was the cooler mounting. The fans were way too thick for that case. I had to buy lower profile fans so i could put the top of the case back on it. If you're going to liquid cool this thing go with a different case. There werent many options for AM4 cooling. a few fans but all were out of stock i basically had to go with the liquid cooling. There may be more options now its been a couple weeks.

Merged multiple threads from different subforums to this thread here (edit: in Build logs) and cleaned things up

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

5 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Merged multiple threads from different subforums to this thread here and cleaned things up

thank you ill make sure to read before posting from now on ill move my thread and apology to you guys at the same time. i know its probably annoying to the frequent flyers here which i would like to be one as well. again apologies.

1 minute ago, HUSKER222 said:

thank you ill make sure to read before posting from now on ill move my thread and apology to you guys at the same time. i know its probably annoying to the frequent flyers here which i would like to be one as well. again apologies.

No problem.  I need something to do at 7am on Sunday mornings :D

Nice build BTW

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

No problem.  I need something to do at 7am on Sunday mornings :D

Nice build BTW

thank you!

You do know that on the X Ryzen chips that a +20 delta is applied?

I have a 1700 and its runs smooth as a nut, currently at 4.0ghz @ 1.38v idles 30C and 55C load in Aida64, Cinebench and around 42C whilst gaming, it's actually cooler than my 4790k.

64GB of ram is insane, its obviously double sided and Ryzen at them doesn't like double banked ram, it doesn't like non Samsung die B and it doesn't like all 4 dims populated.

I have non Samsung B die and it stuck at 2133mhz. Ill update my build log tomorrow hopefully when the rest of my sleeving and ATX pins arrive so I can do the PCIE cables.

I do agree boot times are slow, but afaik, X99 is slower than Z97/Z170/Z270 and keep in mind this platform is 5 weeks old, it will get better

Also, please give me your board, it would look amazing in my rig !

Zw4rwGo.jpg?1

not finished, as I said

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Why the GTX 1060?

With such a great CPU, wouldn't you want a 1070?

plus, RX 480 > 1060

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Why a 1800x tho? And not a 1700?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

You do know that on the X Ryzen chips that a +20 delta is applied?

I have a 1700 and its runs smooth as a nut, currently at 4.0ghz @ 1.38v idles 30C and 55C load in Aida64, Cinebench and around 42C whilst gaming, it's actually cooler than my 4790k.

64GB of ram is insane, its obviously double sided and Ryzen at them doesn't like double banked ram, it doesn't like non Samsung die B and it doesn't like all 4 dims populated.

I have non Samsung B die and it stuck at 2133mhz. Ill update my build log tomorrow hopefully when the rest of my sleeving and ATX pins arrive so I can do the PCIE cables.

I do agree boot times are slow, but afaik, X99 is slower than Z97/Z170/Z270 and keep in mind this platform is 5 weeks old, it will get better

Also, please give me your board, it would look amazing in my rig !

Zw4rwGo.jpg?1

not finished, as I said

so I do seem to be getting the "64gb is alot" statement. I actually did this for a specific reason. I mainly use this rig for plex. I have alot of devices that utilize my plex and when I travel its nice to be able to access it anywhere. Now, I wanted it to have ram to spare because i also do alot of gaming as well. This is not my main rig as like i said its mainly for plex but it does still get utilized alot. That is impressive build you have there. I have never water cooled anything until this build.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Why a 1800x tho? And not a 1700?

1800x was the best one they had. So really why not? :-)

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

Why the GTX 1060?

With such a great CPU, wouldn't you want a 1070?

plus, RX 480 > 1060

meh 1060 is fine. most games dont use more than 4gb VRAM. 1060 can run everything at ultra setting no problem. also the price difference. 1070 has more vram but its still GDDR5. my main rig has a TITAN X before they came out with the 10 series and i wish i waited couldve put two 1060's for the price less than the price of a titan.

5 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

1800x was the best one they had. So really why not? :-)

They OC pretty much the same for cheaper.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

They OC pretty much the same for cheaper.

ill be honest i do not know much about AMD. I was a little bit of alot out of my element with building this one. I have built recently 3 AMD's. 2 FX-8320's and 1 FX-8350 and both build went very smoothly and i used fans to cool them. This one i expected some difficulty with it being just a few weeks old but it took alot of messing with once together to get things to respond properly. I'd say right now my biggest gripe would be boot times are astronomically long. The other day i timed it and it took 1 minute exactly but there are times when it takes longer.

11 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

meh 1060 is fine. most games dont use more than 4gb VRAM. 1060 can run everything at ultra setting no problem. also the price difference. 1070 has more vram but its still GDDR5. my main rig has a TITAN X before they came out with the 10 series and i wish i waited couldve put two 1060's for the price less than the price of a titan.

except 1060 don't SLI :)

15 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

so I do seem to be getting the "64gb is alot" statement. I actually did this for a specific reason. I mainly use this rig for plex. I have alot of devices that utilize my plex and when I travel its nice to be able to access it anywhere. Now, I wanted it to have ram to spare because i also do alot of gaming as well. This is not my main rig as like i said its mainly for plex but it does still get utilized alot. That is impressive build you have there. I have never water cooled anything until this build.

I would try with 2 sticks removed and see if you can run the memory higher

Thanks, its really a rework of my 4790k rig. I toyed quite hard with the Xpower, but its a lot of more no more functionality

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

28 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

except 1060 don't SLI :)

I would try with 2 sticks removed and see if you can run the memory higher

Thanks, its really a rework of my 4790k rig. I toyed quite hard with the Xpower, but its a lot of more no more functionality

1060 do not SLI? I did not know that. I also have never done SLI. Anyways I do think now with 10 series cards the titan is way overpriced in my opinon. Had they had 10 series cards when I got the TITAN X i would've gone with a 10 series for my main rig. I did a post just now of my main rig in build logs. again another way over kill set up but i love it.

what do you think of the temps on my Ryzen? should they be lower or is that pretty decent? under heavy load i havent seen them go above 55C since i messed with the bios a little bit.

My only question would be, why 1500W?  That's beyond overkill.  It's like using an RPG to kill a spider.  Sure, it'll do the job, but there are far cheaper options that are just as effective.  You could run that system on a 600W with ease, probably even a 500W.  Even if you wanted to run SLI in the future, an 850W would have been sufficient.

lol.. plex. with the 850 watt with all my drives i had some power issues. now plex will never. i went "overkill" on purpose mainly for my plex server :-)

my friend was telling me that my boot time issues are likely related to how i installed windows. when i did it i did a MBR partition scheme on UEFI he said i shouldve done a GPT Partition scheme on UEFI. would anyone else agree that thats probably my problem?

7 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

my friend was telling me that my boot time issues are likely related to how i installed windows. when i did it i did a MBR partition scheme on UEFI he said i shouldve done a GPT Partition scheme on UEFI. would anyone else agree that thats probably my problem?

Can you confirm in Disk Management that you setup your PC with MBR instead of GPT? GPT should be the default option if you're using UEFI.

-KuJoe