GPU not working to full potential

Wukash

Hi guys, recently I bought new computer parts that I put in all together. However, since I'm yet to order a GPU, I have moved one from my old PC to new PC. Now the problem I'm experiencing is this: on new PC the GPU will never go into full work, no matter what I do. This results in a lot of fps stuttering that I didn't experience before (on old PC) and games basically become unplayable. Some raw data: when playing Overwatch on old PC my GPU's temp stays in 81-82C range all the time. On new PC it never reaches more than 76C, usually staying in 71-74C range. Max fan speed was about 2300 RPM on new PC, which according to GPU-Z is barely 57% of max fan speed. I tried literally every single thing I found on the internet, but still nothing - installed all the latest drivers, tried the old ones, updated BIOS, changed power settings (both windows' power options and nvidia's control panel), ran applications as admin and others.

Old PC specs:

• CPU: i5-4570
  • GPU: GTX 660 Ti
  • Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45
  • RAM: 1600Mhz - 8gb

New PC specs:

• CPU: i7-7700K
  • GPU: GTX 660 Ti
  • Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M3
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 2x8GB, 3000MHz, CL15 - 16gb

If you have any idea why this might be happening, please help me.

Did you do a clean install of your video card drivers? Have you been monitoring GPU usage and clock frequencies on both builds?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's a bottleneck. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's a bottleneck. 

His CPU is not bottlenecking the GPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's a bottleneck. 

I know graphics card is a bottleneck overall, but did you even read whole post? The issue is that it's working way worse on the new PC than on old one.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you do a clean install of your video card drivers? Have you been monitoring GPU usage and clock frequencies on both builds?

Yes, clock frequencies stay the same on both builds, GPU usage is less on new PC I think, gonna make sure of that in a sec. I did clean install of GPU drivers, but I didn't even have to - the issue is there since the first time I installed them (newest nvidia driver, which is installed on my old PC aswell)

ive heard of older nvidia and amd gpus running on windows drivers even though they had installed the new ones from geforce or crimson. also id consider turning off ambient occlusion in your games aswell and check to see what drivers it says its running in GPU-Z. 

Looking at fan speed and temperature is not how you determine how much your GPU is working.

There's this thing called "GPU usage" which tells you at what percentage it's working.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

true, the gpu is causing problems you might have not notices with your older cpu........

.............but why not look to software issues/conflicts/ first?

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Looking at fan speed and temperature is not how you determine how much your GPU is working.

There's this thing called "GPU usage" which tells you at what percentage it's working.

i think thats what he means by "wont go into full work" meaning 99% usage im guessing.

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

true, the gpu is causing problems you might have not notices with your older cpu........

.............but why not look to software issues/conflicts/ first?

What software issues? everything is basically the same. Windows 10, both games on ssd, same windows/nvidia settings...

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yea I know that but all are related. Just checked now and on new PC GPU stays in 54-74% usage range, spiking to 90-95% periodically. Basically what I see is the following flow: I get pretty bad fps, then I see GPU spiking to 90% which is when I get normal fps and ~~76C temp on GPU for a second, then I get stutters and temperature drops back to 71C, usage to ~~60%.

download msi afterburner, its monitoring stuff will tell you temps, fan speed, gpu usage, gpu clock speed, and memory usage and you can see if it's getting stuck somewhere. Kinda sounds like a memory overflow issue to me...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

21 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

His CPU is not bottlenecking the GPU.

Unless it's another one of those people with "power savings" in windows or speedstepping disabled and the CPU is flat-out running 800mhz :)

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Unless it's another one of those people with "power savings" in windows or speedstepping disabled and the CPU is flat-out running 800mhz :)

Did you read post? I said I changed power settings + running overwatch doesn't even exceed 25% CPU usage of i7-7700K.

1 minute ago, Wukash said:

Did you read post? I said I changed power settings + running overwatch doesn't even exceed 25% CPU usage of i7-7700K.

25% of what, did you check per core? Did you verify the clockspeeds?

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

25% of what, did you check per core? Did you verify the clockspeeds?

25% of overall CPU usage? maybe spikes to 30-35% periodically but stays under 30% most of the time when playing Overwatch. Yes I verified clock speeds.

clock.png

38 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Look at the GPU load next. As temperatures are not really the metrics you look for when determening performance

Temperature wouldn't be a good metric if I was testing just single PC build. But since I'm using same GPU on two different builds which do not differ in terms of cooling system, and I know that my GPU is a bottleneck, then I know that when I get higher temperatures on one build and no stuttering + lower temperatures on other build and stuttering that GPU is not performing optimally.

You can see what I mean here:

GPU usage is just spiking back and forth in 70-90% range, temperature never exceeds 75-76C. I might record on old PC tomorrow if I don't manage to fix this.

6 minutes ago, Wukash said:

GPU usage is just spiking back and forth in 70-90% range, temperature never exceeds 75-76C. I might record on old PC tomorrow if I don't manage to fix this.

The GPU load is 97-99%, you're looking at the wrong number. It seems to be throttling somewhere on the power target. Look at what the coreclock is doing instead.

11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The GPU load is 97-99%, you're looking at the wrong number. It seems to be throttling somewhere on the power target. Look at what the coreclock is doing instead.

Ok I guess you are right that usage is at 99%, but what do you mean by 'look at what coreclock is doing'? Isn't that the number on the far right? It just goes into boost mode and stays there all the time (1058Mhz)

14 minutes ago, Wukash said:

Ok I guess you are right that usage is at 99%, but what do you mean by 'look at what coreclock is doing'? Isn't that the number on the far right? It just goes into boost mode and stays there all the time (1058Mhz)

Yeah i missed it, I have a custom layout of the numbers myself. Well to be honest, I'm not seeing anything weird happening.

Maybe put the monitoring frequency at 100ms (in the settings) and monitor what the frametimes are doing. But from what i'm seeing, there is nothing odd happening.

When I join game and temperature is still low (60-70C) the power metric is perfectly fine (97-100%). So for the first 10-20 seconds I get no stutter at all, when temp reaches over 71C power starts to drop and spike all the time. I'll reply tomorrow afternoon with more analysis and maybe videos :(

Took some screenshots of charts during unigine valley benchmark. The first screenshot shows benchmark with automatic fan control, 2nd and 3rd are showing fan set to 80% all the time in MSI Afterburner. The only difference is that power spikes start happening much later with custom fan speed, but overall it's pretty much the same because any power spikes, even small ones, are causing fps changes which makes game unplayable.

auto-fan-speed.png

full-fan-speed-1.png

full-fan-speed-2.png

Raise power limit and a little voltage. Prioritize power over temp. Turns fans up accordingly. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

The graphs clearly show the issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Does not help at all. Raised power limit to 123 (max) and voltage by 25mV. 1st screen is just 110 power, 2nd is 123 power and +25mV, 3rd is 123 power, +25mV and full fan speed

power+10.png

power+23-mV+25.png

power+23-mV+25-full-fan-speed.png