Power Supply for GTX 1070

arealsnek

Hi! So about 2 days ago i mounted my new graphics card, the 1070, and it was working fine.But after about 5-10 minutes of Overwatch my psu burnt out and my pc shut down.(there was a strong burnt smell coming from the psu)So now i need a new BUDGET PSU that will work with no problem with my 1070(Asus DUAL NON-OC). I'm from Romania and retailers i could be buying from are: Altex.ro, pcgarage.ro, emag.ro . I was looking at the FSP Raider 550W and the Sirtec High Power Element 650W.Would those be a good choice or not?Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DO NOT BUY A BUDGET PSU. It will burn out again.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

I can't afford to buy an expensive PSU.I've seen a comment on the FSP Raider 550W saying he's running the 1070 on it with no problem. There must be some solid choices of budget PSU's.Or maybe something like Seasonic 520W/620W.

How about the Segotep GP Series 600W 80+ GOLD? 

1 minute ago, arealsnek said:

How about the Segotep GP Series 600W 80+ GOLD? 

Segotep? Sounds like a piece of shit...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

Hi! So about 2 days ago i mounted my new graphics card, the 1070, and it was working fine.But after about 5-10 minutes of Overwatch my psu burnt out and my pc shut down.(there was a strong burnt smell coming from the psu)So now i need a new BUDGET PSU that will work with no problem with my 1070(Asus DUAL NON-OC). I'm from Romania and retailers i could be buying from are: Altex.ro, pcgarage.ro, emag.ro . I was looking at the FSP Raider 550W and the Sirtec High Power Element 650W.Would those be a good choice or not?Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'had the same problem, personally, go to your closest shop and buy the cheapest one, i've never spend anything in PSU and nothing happened to my PC. Try to buy one above 650W. 

Haha, maybe but i'm not good at PSU's. Could you give me any good budget suggestions?

1 minute ago, uriv1999 said:

I'had the same problem, personally, go to your closest shop and buy the cheapest one, i've never spend anything in PSU and nothing happened to my PC. Try to buy one above 650W. 

Don't buy the cheapest PSU, don't buy a shitty PSU, ever.

Worst thing that could happen: Your Computer catches fire and burns your house down.

What is likely going to happen: The PSU is going to kill it self, maybe killing components in the process or prematurely kill components.

Wattage is not the problem, he could easily run his computer overclocked off a good 400W PSU.

I don't know, i've been using it with my 750 ti for 1-2 years well.

That looks like a good one, but if there's any better ones i could go to the 250-300 price range ( RON - like on pc garage)

Well i don't want to buy the shittiest one but i want a good, reliable, but also within my budget.

Also, i guess my components are allright right? The motherboard's led is still working and the smell was coming from the PSU only.What would you suggest?

29 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Segotep? Sounds like a piece of shit...

It is a China brand which is quite well-known here. However they uses Capxon capacitors on their PSUs with 5 year warranty. What a joke.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Well, yes i can spend even a little more than that(250-280ish RON). So, is the superflower 550W a good choice for my 1070? At that price + the sale right now it would be excellent an i could order it today.

If you buy a budget PSU, you are going to skimp on some features, being some (or all) of these:

• Efficiency
  • Noise
  • Reliability

Other minor factors that cost some, are things like modularity etc...

Bottom line is, I still wouldn't recommend skimping on the PSU. Think beforehand what is your budget and get a decent enough PSU in line with other components. A GTX1070 is a good GPU and should not be run from a crappy PSU.

That being said, a sensible "budget" PSU in this case might be one that is not modular, i.e. just a barebone PSU, not efficient and quite noisy. But the rule of thumb is that when a manufacturer makes a good quality PSU, it will take all of these into consideration - so one that is good in only reliability (but otherwise cheap) might be difficult to find. A no-name brand (or a relatively unknown brand) might be a lottery.

Bear in mind that if/when a PSU comes down, it is more than likely it will take out other components, too. Taking down the whole house is quite extreme, but I guess possible. Better have a good house insurance (and no one inside or enought time to get out)...

Good luck finding a suitable PSU!

EDIT: It seems even the cheapest PSUs are modular these days. Probably the manufacturers cheap on something else...

Edited by Wild Penquin
Added a point about modular PSUs

45 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

I can't afford to buy an expensive PSU.I've seen a comment on the FSP Raider 550W saying he's running the 1070 on it with no problem. There must be some solid choices of budget PSU's.Or maybe something like Seasonic 520W/620W.

Seasonic S12II will do

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I'll be deciding between the superflower and the seasonic. ALSO, one more question. Is it possible that my PSU damaged/killed my other components. It didn't blow up or anything and the motherboard's led is still working and glowing. ( i did unplugg my pc ). Please tell me i'm fine. thanks

arealsnek: There's no way of knowing until you try. Before a PSU shuts down in case of a failure, it might cause voltage fluctuations that might damage components.

54 minutes ago, uriv1999 said:

Bad ideas all around, PLEASE dont buy the cheapest one, and he could easily run the 1070 with 500 watts so anything above 550 is a waste of money.

6 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I'll be deciding between the superflower and the seasonic. ALSO, one more question. Is it possible that my PSU damaged/killed my other components. It didn't blow up or anything and the motherboard's led is still working and glowing. ( i did unplugg my pc ). Please tell me i'm fine. thanks

It's possible for a PSU to damage other components, but unlikely. Inspect the motherboard and make sure you don't see anything that looks burnt, but it's probably impossible to know for sure until you can power it up and see that everything works fine.

I can't find much information about the Super Flower SF-550K12XP except that it seems to be a fairly old model. That said, Super Flower is one of the better PSU manufacturers out there, so I imagine it's at least reliable. I'd probably go with the Seasonic, if you can find it for a good price in Romania, just because it's a model I'm more familiar with.

7 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

Go for seasonic, you would trust your PC with a PSU with the name Superflower?????

Haha good point, the seasonic is a strong choice right now thanks.

Is it safe to open the PC case to inspect the motherboard right now?

Just now, arealsnek said:

Haha good point, the seasonic is a strong choice right now thanks.

Is it safe to open the PC case to inspect the motherboard right now?

How long has it been?