Intel Exclusive Techologies -- What do I lose by choosing Ryzen?

With Ryzen now a thing, and becoming more and more of a good choice in terms of price per dollar, I'm wondering what is lost by going AMD instead of Intel. I know there are various exclusive technologies like Thunderbolt, but I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list that applies specifically to desktop CPUs and PCs. I am thus looking for feedback from the community to fill in the blanks.

Not many things Important.The most important part is bragging to your friends that you have a i7.Saying I have a 1800x Dosent have the same effect as Extreeme intel i7 Cpu(6800k)

My life

Optane, but that's only on z200 series motherboards with 7xxx series chips, so pretty narrow. Besides, Optane is pretty pointless for owners of z200 series motherboards and 7xxx chips, as many will probably have an SSD anyway

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

8 minutes ago, CubeTheThird said:

I'm wondering what is lost by going AMD instead of Intel.

Paying for the "privilege" to overclock.

Thunderbolt 3 (and all other previous versions of thunderbolt)

Optane

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Netflix 4k.

Don't you mean:

IntelTM PatentedTM NetflixTM UHDTM technology with Kaby LakeTM CPUsTM

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Netflix 4k.

Except all you need is a Maxwell/Pascal graphics card and you're good to go.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Thunderbolt.

Optane.

Netflix 4k DRM.

Not a technology, but a superior fabrication node, and more refined. It shows as a sizable proportion of people managing to hit 5GHz on air, with Ryzen hitting a voltage wall around 4.1GHz.

Pretty much this ??

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

...No.

Look up the 4K Netflix shitshow.

Netflix only has the option to stream in 4K when using Microsoft Edge (not that bad TBH), and a Kaby Lake CPU, which not many people have.

Desktop:

Laptop:

28 minutes ago, CubeTheThird said:

Thunderbolt

I have never used it in my life and I pretty much live in function of the computers... optane? that's a joke xD

And Quicksync is good but I'd still rather have one extra core instead of the iGPU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

Optane, but that's only on z200 series motherboards with 7xxx series chips, so pretty narrow. Besides, Optane is pretty pointless for owners of z200 series motherboards and 7xxx chips, as many will probably have an SSD anyway

Sadly that's probably the only thing I could see myself using, but I would need to know how much you can play with it. If it can be used and accessed similarly to any type of on-board storage, I could see it being particularly useful, even with an SSD (mostly on Linux though).

Thunderbold I can't see being particularly useful since I'm building a desktop anyways.

4K Netflix it completely out of the question since:

• You still have to stream it (limited by bandwidth)
  • Requires a 4K display
  • Requires Windows 10 (I use Linux)

I'm wondering if any of the so called "Virtualisation technologies" would be useful, or even have an impact should I (for example) run a VM.

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Don't you mean:

IntelTM PatentedTM NetflixTM UHDTM technology with Kaby LakeTM CPUsTM

HAHAHA, can we say IPNUKLC for short?

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

...No.

Look up the 4K Netflix shitshow.

Is that so yet? I could swear I read an article where there had been added support through driver update, well that's stupid to say the least, seems like if you want 4k on Ryzen/skylake you have to go thepiratebay now? lol at least amazon has decent shows.

Personal Desktop":

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You may know something that I don't, but last I knew you had to use a Kaby Lake iGPU and Microsoft Edge for Netflix 4K streaming. I think Polaris/Pascal GPUs are technical capable, but this is an arbitrary DRM restriction. Apparently film studios are really, really uptight about allowing their content to stream at 4K on PCs.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/update-netflix-4k-streaming-on-a-windows-10-pc-tested-with-gpus.html

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

snip

I know, like I said above, I pretty much read a faulty article most likely, oh DRM's gotta hate those so much, even if I could potentially watch it since I have a Kaby Lake I think this is beyond stupid.

By the way.... does that mean I'd need to use the iGPU to watch it? because now I got all confused.

Personal Desktop":

I use quicksync, so I guess I'll lose that

macOS hackintosh compatibility 

games perform a tiny bit better vs a 7700k

bragging rights

my family's sustained Intel CPU purchases from 1988? To 2017 (yes we have a fuck ton of first hand pentium 4's when the Athlon was fucking up the p4

yes we have a extreme edition p4, and a PD)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

31 minutes ago, CubeTheThird said:

With Ryzen now a thing, and becoming more and more of a good choice in terms of price per dollar, I'm wondering what is lost by going AMD instead of Intel. I know there are various exclusive technologies like Thunderbolt, but I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list that applies specifically to desktop CPUs and PCs. I am thus looking for feedback from the community to fill in the blanks.

You lose hyperthreading, XMP, non RGB stock cooler, quicksync, Intel Tubo boost

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I know, like I said above, I pretty much read a faulty article most likely, oh DRM's gotta hate those so much, even if I could potentially watch it since I have a Kaby Lake I think this is beyond stupid.

By the way.... does that mean I'd need to use the iGPU to watch it? because now I got all confused.

You also need a 200 series chipset. Poor @Lays learned that the hard way, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

intel vt-x (hardware virtualization), but with ryzen im betting more support for amd-v will come out (been pretty lack in the amd-v the past few years)

11 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Gee when I thought it couldn't get any worse... quite the dick move when Intel on purpose didn't make a h210 because supposedly there was no need to upgrade the low budget mobos... I originally had the 6700 and only upgraded to the 7700 because I managed to sell it on a build a friend of my dad asked me to make for his son a gift for passing college, and I did it mostly to help out the Titan not getting bottleneck, but were I to do it for this netflix content, boy I would be angry.

Personal Desktop":

41 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You lose hyperthreading, XMP, non RGB stock cooler, quicksync, Intel Tubo boost

Considering AMD has SMT, which is similar to hyperthreading, and AMD Turbo Core, similar to Turbo boost, I wouldn't really consider these to be losses.

It's also not surprising that quicksync is lost since the current releases for Ryzen don't have IGPUs, which is how it works on Intel's side.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

No, you need a board with a special chip, only a handful of boards have it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 hours ago, CubeTheThird said:

I'm wondering what is lost by going AMD instead of Intel.

Decent AVX2 performance.

11 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Decent AVX2 performance.

Do you have any sources comparing the performance for this?

3 minutes ago, CubeTheThird said:

Do you have any sources comparing the performance for this?

Does my i7 6900K and R7 1700 count as sources?

I don't recall any benchmarks published with heavy AVX2 applications, not that many programs use it. It isn't an issue for gamers where the Ryzen CPUs are marketed for.

As the Ryzen architecture requires combining two AVX 128 bit registers to perform 256bit AVX2, it drops to half the performance, eliminating its advantage of having twice the number of cores over the 7700K when performing this sort of workload.