Best completely free type 1 hypervisor and manager?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

with raid 5, yes.

Also, if I have 6 2TB drives inside already set up in RAID 5. If I add 2 more, identical drives, can I set it up to the existing RAID array?

Just now, Laggger164 said:

Also, if I have 6 2TB drives inside already set up in RAID 5. If I add 2 more, identical drives, can I set it up to the existing RAID array?

normally yes, but you want a backup before you do this, and things can go worn when you do this.

normally yes, but you want a backup before you do this, and things can go worn when you do this.

Alright, so it is a bad idea to do really...

Just now, Laggger164 said:

Alright, so it is a bad idea to do really...

not to bad, but i wouldn't do it without a backup(which you should have if you care about the data at all. Raid won't help at all if your house burns down, you delete a file, randomware gets on there, or you make a mistake.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

not to bad, but i wouldn't do it without a backup(which you should have if you care about the data at all. Raid won't help at all if your house burns down, you delete a file, randomware gets on there, or you make a mistake.

Alright, good to know. 2TB drives are worse at the Price/Capacity ratio than 3TB or 4TB drives. But I will be able to keep the Perc6/i RAID card.

From my calculations, 2TB drives are 0.05€ per GB and 3TB drives are 0.042€ per GB.

Also, I know it is a typo, but Randomware is a pretty good word xD

4 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Randomware is a pretty good word xD

dd if=/dev/urandom of=randomware?

Yea i mean randsomware, its nasty stuff.

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=randomware?

Yea i mean randsomware, its nasty stuff.

Alright, so I did some math and it seems that if I pick 12TB of capacity in 2TB drives, I pay around 600€.

If I pick the same capacity in 3TB drives, I pay 510€, thus saving enough money to buy the RAID card, have a bit extra left over and save a bit on power.

If I picked 4TB drives, I would save additional 20€ on them and only use 3 drive bays for that particular capacity.

I still haven't picked the final capacity I want tho... Any ideas on how to find out?

33 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Alright, so I did some math and it seems that if I pick 12TB of capacity in 2TB drives, I pay around 600€.

If I pick the same capacity in 3TB drives, I pay 510€, thus saving enough money to buy the RAID card, have a bit extra left over and save a bit on power.

If I picked 4TB drives, I would save additional 20€ on them and only use 3 drive bays for that particular capacity.

I still haven't picked the final capacity I want tho... Any ideas on how to find out?

How much storage are you currently using?

Also rember with 6x 2tb you have 10tb usable, while with 4x3tb you have 9tb usabe and with 3x4tb you have 8tb usable. The bigger drives are more reliable as you have less of them(so lower change of 2 drive failure or a error one one and failure on anouther), but we have backups right?

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much storage are you currently using?

Also rember with 6x 2tb you have 10tb usable, while with 4x3tb you have 9tb usabe and with 3x4tb you have 8tb usable. The bigger drives are more reliable as you have less of them(so lower change of 2 drive failure or a error one one and failure on anouther), but we have backups right?

I think I am using 2TB at most a when I combine all the storage in the computers in the house, however it is just plain not enough. Also we have a very precise crapton of DVDs, Music CDs, Gramophone discs (sorry, I don't know what they are called in english), Tape casettes with both video and music.

I am thinkng 8-12TB right now...

Maybe 3 4TB drives? And if I need more storage for any reason, I can add more in.

Also, should I make 2 storage sections? Like 1 for backups and another for normal use like NAS and storage? It would have to be in the same house anyways, if not in the same server so I don't know how much good that does...

Also, how would I go about backing up a lot of data, when I can't put it anywhere else? Temporary cloud storage, buy a separate NAS machine (be it a computer, server or NAS box)?

Accidentally double posted.

Edited by Laggger164
Accidental double post

32 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

I think I am using 2TB at most a when I combine all the storage in the computers in the house, however it is just plain not enough. Also we have a very precise crapton of DVDs, Music CDs, Gramophone discs (sorry, I don't know what they are called in english), Tape casettes with both video and music.

I am thinkng 8-12TB right now...

Maybe 3 4TB drives? And if I need more storage for any reason, I can add more in.

Also, should I make 2 storage sections? Like 1 for backups and another for normal use like NAS and storage? It would have to be in the same house anyways, if not in the same server so I don't know how much good that does...

Also, how would I go about backing up a lot of data, when I can't put it anywhere else? Temporary cloud storage, buy a separate NAS machine (be it a computer, server or NAS box)?

I'd make one raid array. I wouldn't make multiple partitions, I'd just use folders and snapshots. 

For backup amazon cloud drive is 60 bucks a year for unlimited online storage I'd just encrypt it. You can also copy it to cold drives. 

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd make one raid array. I wouldn't make multiple partitions, I'd just use folders and snapshots. 

For backup amazon cloud drive is 60 bucks a year for unlimited online storage I'd just encrypt it. You can also copy it to cold drives. 

Hmmm. Seems like a nice option, but I can worry about that later.

Cold drives might be good, becaus my internet connection is not that fast, but also not too slow. It's good enough for what I have right now, but I am not sure for how long. But maybe about 6 years or more it should be more than enough.

How much do you know about networking? I have a pretty weird situation in the current network arrangement, maybe you could help me with that too, because when I set up the server, I will have to change the networking.

What's with the freaking double posting?!?

Edited by Laggger164
Yet another accidental double post

3 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Hmmm. Seems like a nice option, but I can worry about that later.

Cold drives might be good, becaus my internet connection is not that fast, but also not too slow. It's good enough for what I have right now, but I am not sure for how long. But maybe about 6 years or more it should be more than enough.

How much do you know about networking? I have a pretty weird situation in the current network arrangement, maybe you could help me with that too, because when I set up the server, I will have to change the networking.

I know a good amount about networking. What is the problem. 

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I know a good amount about networking. What is the problem. 

This is a long one, take your time, reply when you want to. I am going to sleep anyways.

Alright, I have a modem that has a built in wireless access point and a switch for 4 ports provided by my internet provider. The modem is completely locked out from me, I cannot access it, I can only call support to change some settings and to set up port forwarding.

Is there a way for me to port forward without accessing the modem?

Also, they provide us with TV channels over the optical cable too, the modem is configured to output the TV data from 3 of the 4 ports and the last one is for internet.

It is enough for now, since my gaming PC is the only one that is connected via LAN cable, however I did run into issues where I needed more ports. So I need a network switch, most likely a gigabit one, just so our home network runs as fast as possible. Any recommendations for a cheap maybe used gigabit switch? Or some tips on what to look for?

The server is going to sit in a room opposite of my bedroom. The modem and the gaming PC are in my room. All the cables required to run the 2 TVs and the optical cable run into my bedroom, so the modem is not movable.

I have read that I can set up a firewall on a Virtual machine and make it more advanced than normal. If this is true, would I be able to run a LAN cable from the modem, to my server and from my server to the rest of my networking equipment? The server has 4 Gigabit ethernet ports.

What could I possibly do with that setup?

If I ran the LAN cable from my server to my room so I can have network access, I would need to have a switch there so I can plug my Laptop, my Gaming PC and temporarily something else to a high speed connection. But I need another Wireless access point in the "server room" because that room is in the center of the house, thus I could get better connection there. Would I need to have a switch there too or could I run the WAP from one of the server ports?

Most of these access points take PoE, but I couldn't find any cheap used gigabit switches that support it. Is there a different solution?

Also, the IP adress is shared with the entire village, since it is not a proper optical connection, just a high speed antenna on one of the buildings pointing to a village closer to their main servers in the city. Is that going to be a problem with anything?

EDIT: About the PoE thing for the WAP, I could just use an old router, however, is there a way to direct the signal mostly downwards, but still have signal from the sides?

22 hours ago, Laggger164 said:

Is there a way for me to port forward without accessing the modem?

Nope

Any recommendations for a cheap maybe used gigabit switch?

Normally I suggest what ever negear switch you can get for that price, but anything will work

a LAN cable from the modem,

Is this a modem, or a router modem combo box, if its just a modem, you  shouldn't have thsoe port forwarding problems.

Is that going to be a problem with anything?

This is going to make hosting anything much harder. Id almost suggest running everything on a vm locally so you can have easikly access.

Would I need to have a switch there too or could I run the WAP from one of the server ports?

Id get a switch, you can use the server as one, but its a pain an not worth the hassle. Also if the server goes down, so does the wifi.

A network map(picture) would make this easier to under stand.

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope

Normally I suggest what ever negear switch you can get for that price, but anything will work

Is this a modem, or a router modem combo box, if its just a modem, you  shouldn't have thsoe port forwarding problems.

This is going to make hosting anything much harder. Id almost suggest running everything on a vm locally so you can have easikly access.

Id get a switch, you can use the server as one, but its a pain an not worth the hassle. Also if the server goes down, so does the wifi.

It is a combination of a modem, router, switch and a Wireless Access point.

Network map... I am very bad at drawing xD I will try to make something though, if not for you then for myself at least.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope

Also, I just found this video: 

Andris Orinskis in the comments said that it is not that true: 

"What a load of BC. First of all, explanation for an average home user goes like this: If you build a redundant array with: 2 drives - your only meaningful choice is RAID1 3 drives - your only choice is RAID5 4 drives - RAID5 for capacity vs RAID10 for redundancy. Only starting with 5 drive array you should consider using RAID6. And, of course, you don't lose ALL data with RAID5 disk loss and URE. You lose one file. It might be critical for an enterprise environment, IF they don't make backups. For an average homeuser Joe it means one corrupted photo, or movie. Not the end of the world. And even Joe should make backups of critical data."

I didn't think that a read error could destroy the entire RAID array. Do you?

5 hours ago, Laggger164 said:

It is a combination of a modem, router, switch and a Wireless Access point.

Network map... I am very bad at drawing xD I will try to make something though, if not for you then for myself at least.

Get a pure modem if you can, then  you normally have full control with your own router.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a pure modem if you can, then  you normally have full control with your own router.

Well I would have to change the router too, which wouldn't be a bad thing, but still.

This one is working fine, I will just have to call support when I want to do port-forwarding or change settings.

So what do you think about that video? If that comment is true, I shouldn't really be that scared of it, right?

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

Well I would have to change the router too, which wouldn't be a bad thing, but still.

This one is working fine, I will just have to call support when I want to do port-forwarding or change settings.

So what do you think about that video? If that comment is true, I shouldn't really be that scared of it, right?

Don't be scared about the video, you also have backups if something goes wrong.

Do you have your own public ip?

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't be scared about the video, you also have backups if something goes wrong.

Do you have your own public ip?

I don't get what you mean by Public IP.

Look at the number under the search box here https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whats+my+ip&t=ffab&ia=answer

Is it the same as your neighbors, or different. Your not hosting anything without a vpn if its the same.

Well I think it could be, but I don't know my neighbour's IP adress. I will call support about this though.

48 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Look at the number under the search box here https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whats+my+ip&t=ffab&ia=answer

Is it the same as your neighbors, or different. Your not hosting anything without a vpn if its the same.

Anyways, I found this switch:

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/JGS516.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

http://servershop.sk/netgear-prosafe-16-port-gigabit-switch-jgs516-/p207635c1051

But it is an unmanaged switch. Should I get a managed one?