Best completely free type 1 hypervisor and manager?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the permissions on the folder that your sharing? That user needs write access in the filesystem level.

Well I did try to set that through the web GUI, I set the permissions from 755 to 777, but no luck.

Just now, Laggger164 said:

Well I did try to set that through the web GUI, I set the permissions from 755 to 777, but no luck.

on the share or on the folder?

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well I went to the File permissions settings and set the New Unix file mode and New Unix directory mode to 777. But nothing.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So the only way so far is to change the directory's permission to 777, which is not very comfortable to use. Does it require login to see that directory if I set it as that?

So the only way so far is to change the directory's permission to 777, which is not very comfortable to use. Does it require login to see that directory if I set it as that?

you dont' need 777, the user that needs to write much have write permission. I don't know what the exact issue is here, and tis a hard to do over the network.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you dont' need 777, the user that needs to write much have write permission. I don't know what the exact issue is here, and tis a hard to do over the network.

Alright so when I create a new share. What do I do to make it work with 1 or more users? How would you go about that, it is very much possible that I am not doing something right.

Alright so when I create a new share. What do I do to make it work with 1 or more users? How would you go about that, it is very much possible that I am not doing something right.

You can add permissions to the group all the users are in(or just the users group)

So back to samba stuff

You can read files, you can't write. Im assuming windows client. When you try to write you get a permission error. Correct?

38 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can add permissions to the group all the users are in(or just the users group)

So back to samba stuff

You can read files, you can't write. Im assuming windows client. When you try to write you get a permission error. Correct?

Yes, correct. I am using Windows 10.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So back to samba stuff

Oh, I think I get it now. I created the share as the Root user and no users were in the same group!

When creating the Samba group, I can specify the permissions, however there is no drop down menu to use, just a text box, so I don't know what I should write there.

Should I create the share as the Users group instead of the root group?

11 hours ago, Laggger164 said:

Oh, I think I get it now. I created the share as the Root user and no users were in the same group!

When creating the Samba group, I can specify the permissions, however there is no drop down menu to use, just a text box, so I don't know what I should write there.

Should I create the share as the Users group instead of the root group?

I changed the share to users group and the directory too. I then rebooted the whole server and when trying to access the share again with windows it didn't work.

But after some screwing around with the settings using Force user to the user I was trying to create... it started working?

Maybe I shouldn't have an account for every person there, maybe just a User account and that will be accessed by everyone. I just don't want to use Allow all guests. Seems like a stupid thing to do.

EDIT: Alright, I got it working now. I had to put the users in the proper group myself and modify the group's privileges too. I might make an account for each family member, but as I am looking at the configuration again... I don't really see a reason to do so.

Edited by Laggger164

On 29. 6. 2017 at 10:21 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

So back to samba stuff

So that is fixed now. It's working.

Now I am trying to make a new Container that I will run a game server on. (A minecraft server, because I still love that game although I haven't played it in a year)

I have the server files ready on my PC... but I don't know how to get it into the Container...

Right now I am fussing around with wget to get it from Zippyshare, but there must be an easier solution.

I was trying to get a USB flash drive to pass it through to the container. No luck. Mount it on the host machine? Nope, something was wrong when I was trying to do that.

There must be a proper way of doing that. I know I can upload an ISO image to it, but I don't think that it supports any other files.

Would you know of a solution?

So that is fixed now. It's working.

Now I am trying to make a new Container that I will run a game server on. (A minecraft server, because I still love that game although I haven't played it in a year)

I have the server files ready on my PC... but I don't know how to get it into the Container...

Right now I am fussing around with wget to get it from Zippyshare, but there must be an easier solution.

I was trying to get a USB flash drive to pass it through to the container. No luck. Mount it on the host machine? Nope, something was wrong when I was trying to do that.

There must be a proper way of doing that. I know I can upload an ISO image to it, but I don't think that it supports any other files.

Would you know of a solution?

best way to copy files is a network share, 

Don't use usb paththrough and a usb, messy. Also you can't do passthrough on containers.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

best way to copy files is a network share, 

Don't use usb paththrough and a usb, messy. Also you can't do passthrough on containers.

I am trying to do that now, but I can't seem to be able to mount it. 

https://superuser.com/questions/145191/how-do-i-map-a-drive-network-share-using-the-linux-terminal

I was trying to do it this way and a few others but those didn't work at all. This one says the data is write protected for some reason. As Username I put root.

I am trying to do that now, but I can't seem to be able to mount it. 

https://superuser.com/questions/145191/how-do-i-map-a-drive-network-share-using-the-linux-terminal

I was trying to do it this way and a few others but those didn't work at all. This one says the data is write protected for some reason. As Username I put root.

is root the correct username for login?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

is root the correct username for login?

I tried both root and user. Both work that way through Windows, but it didnt ask for a password.

I tried both root and user. Both work that way through Windows, but it didnt ask for a password.

so you have usernames but no passwords? Id change that to either allow guest or use passwords.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

so you have usernames but no passwords? Id change that to either allow guest or use passwords.

I do have a password, but it didnt ask for one. Just wrote out that it couldnt mount it.

29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Alright I figured it out. I was missing the cifs-utils package for some reason.

Alright I figured it out. I was missing the cifs-utils package for some reason.

oops... I had those simple errors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1. 7. 2017 at 6:25 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

oops... I had those simple errors.

Alright, so I learned the basics of Proxmox and created 2 containers. 1 for a torrent/fileserver provided by turnkey linux and a second one just a modded minecraft server. Nothing special.

However, my brother thinks it would be better for my harddrives to be partitioned in such a way that 2 of them would be mirrored and another 2 would be striped across the 2 drives. That way we would have an archive storage and a fast storage for things like a steam library, torrent downloads and stuff like that that is easily replaced. I can back up my containers to an external harddrive and destroy the zpool that I have right now and make another 2, 1 with raid 1 maybe 250GB and another with the remaining space (somewhere around 450GB if my math is correct) in raid 0 to have higher speed.

However, I would store the VMs on the Raid 1 array and that might be a problem since the harddrives would be accessing 2 distant parts of a harddrive, while that might not be a huge performance loss, I still don't know if I should do that.

What do you think?

34 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

However, my brother thinks it would be better for my harddrives to be partitioned in such a way that 2 of them would be mirrored and another 2 would be striped across the 2 drives. That way we would have an archive storage and a fast storage for things like a steam library, torrent downloads and stuff like that that is easily replaced. I can back up my containers to an external harddrive and destroy the zpool that I have right now and make another 2, 1 with raid 1 maybe 250GB and another with the remaining space (somewhere around 450GB if my math is correct) in raid 0 to have higher speed.

What drive setup do you have again?

Id stay away from partitioning raid.

Just have a sinlge pool, the speed difference isn't too much, that setup will also be a pain to recover in the future if you ever have to.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What drive setup do you have again?

Id stay away from partitioning raid.

Just have a sinlge pool, the speed difference isn't too much, that setup will also be a pain to recover in the future if you ever have to.

Right now 2 500GB harddrives in ZFS Mirror. But yeah, you might be right, maybe I just shouldn't do that...

Right now 2 500GB harddrives in ZFS Mirror. But yeah, you might be right, maybe I just shouldn't do that...

Yea id stay away from doing raid in partitions. your not getting that much more storage, and you would be stuck with a setup thats a pain to configue as zfs doesn't support folder/dataset level raid.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea id stay away from doing raid in partitions. your not getting that much more storage, and you would be stuck with a setup thats a pain to configue as zfs doesn't support folder/dataset level raid.

So... for some odd reason, my container for the mc server stopped working. When I fire up the noVNC console it says something like Connecting to tty1 something something and... nothing? When I type and hit enter nothing happens. When I push arrow keys brackets, numbers and letters start appearing on the screen.

When I try to SSH using Putty I get connection refused...

This is happening even after multiple reinstalls of the container and restarts of the proxmox host.

I have no friggin idea what to do now. It worked before and I did have these problems before but a restart of the noVNC console or the host fixed it.

EDIT: Now I am confused even more. When I shut down the torrent/fileserver container... the mcserver container started working... WHAT?!?

Then I started up the torrent/fileserver container again and both of them work... WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?

Edited by Laggger164

On 10. 7. 2017 at 4:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Alright, regarding the previous problem, the system was waiting for a network for some reason and the wait timer was 5 minutes which I figured out by enabling debug mode on that container.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2323253

I fixed it by lowering the wait time, otherwise everything is working, no issues with networking at all.