Best completely free type 1 hypervisor and manager?

Just now, Laggger164 said:

What else could I use?

why do you want crash plan(any special features)?

Otherwise you can just backup to the fileshare using the backup in windows.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

why do you want crash plan(any special features)?

Otherwise you can just backup to the fileshare using the backup in windows.

Well, all we have are Windows machines, I just need something to back them up in case something happens.

It would be nice to have a warning system going like Linus did in his NCIX Tech Tips video on NAS with Windows Server, any of those features available?

Not like they are that important though...

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Well, all we have are Windows machines, I just need something to back them up in case something happens.

It would be nice to have a warning system going like Linus did in his NCIX Tech Tips video on NAS with Windows Server, any of those features available?

Not like they are that important though...

are you a student? you can then get copies of windows server for free and thats a nice way to manage backups. Just run winserver in a vm and it will manage backups for everything for you

Other wise id just use the backup built into windows.

are you a student? you can then get copies of windows server for free and thats a nice way to manage backups. Just run winserver in a vm and it will manage backups for everything for you

Other wise id just use the backup built into windows.

Well 2 of those machines are Windows XP...

Well 2 of those machines are Windows XP...

this should still work with xp

but you should really remove those from the network.

this should still work with xp

but you should really remove those from the network.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

huge security whole. xp system gets infected, now the share got encrypted, and lets hope you have backups or snapshots

huge security whole. xp system gets infected, now the share got encrypted, and lets hope you have backups or snapshots

OK then, I was thinking for a long time to change their OSes to Lubuntu or similar.

The problem is, my mom is reaaally bad with technology and she uses one of those netbooks (yes those ASUS EEE PCs, we got 2, a small and a larger one)

I might be able to teach her how to click on the chrome icon and use it like she always does, maybe even try LibreOffice, but I don't know if the hardware would be capable of doing so.

55 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also, I just thought this up. I have 2 old UPS units in my house. Both of them have dead batteries, but replacements don't cost that much, however I am not sure if one of them is even functional.

How much of a bad idea would it be to hook one up to the server? (since they are so old, but they should have enough power to run it)

6 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Also, I just thought this up. I have 2 old UPS units in my house. Both of them have dead batteries, but replacements don't cost that much, however I am not sure if one of them is even functional.

How much of a bad idea would it be to hook one up to the server? (since they are so old, but they should have enough power to run it)

no reason not to use the ups then. I have a use im using and there very nice when there are power outages(just had one last night, everything is running perfectally)

no reason not to use the ups then. I have a use im using and there very nice when there are power outages(just had one last night, everything is running perfectally)

Alright, I will try to get them up and running!

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So I was thinking again about the R510 and it actually only has 8 DIMM slots in total which I didn't realize before.

I could get 32GB of RAM at most with the 4GB DIMMs I have available.

I don't think that tradeoff is any good, I will instead choose the 20€ more expensive R710.

People on forums mostly say that if you need more storage, just use SAN or DAS. But 6 3.5" drives should be enough even when 2TB ones are installed in RAID 5. I don't think I will use more than 10TB of storage anytime soon.

If I wanted to use things like PLEX (or similar) and other plugins with OpenMediaVault, should I allocate 3 cores and 4GB of RAM just to be safe?

I assume I can change that even after installing it right? It shouldn't do any weirdness. 

Also, what do you think about used/refurbished drives? From the prices I saw, it won't really be worth taking the risk of a drive like that failing.

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

So I was thinking again about the R510 and it actually only has 8 DIMM slots in total which I didn't realize before.

I could get 32GB of RAM at most with the 4GB DIMMs I have available.

I don't think that tradeoff is any good, I will instead choose the 20€ more expensive R710.

People on forums mostly say that if you need more storage, just use SAN or DAS. But 6 3.5" drives should be enough even when 2TB ones are installed in RAID 5. I don't think I will use more than 10TB of storage anytime soon.

If I wanted to use things like PLEX (or similar) and other plugins with OpenMediaVault, should I allocate 3 cores and 4GB of RAM just to be safe?

I assume I can change that even after installing it right? It shouldn't do any weirdness. 

Also, what do you think about used/refurbished drives? From the prices I saw, it won't really be worth taking the risk of a drive like that failing.

For vms no reason not to go give extra cores. Vms can share cores. For ram I'd just run it and see. If you have the guest extentions on the vm it only use the ram needed on the host. 

For older or used or refurbished drives. I'd stay away if you have the money. But I have bought 8 2tbs a year ago for backup and there all running with no errors and we're about half price. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For vms no reason not to go give extra cores. Vms can share cores. For ram I'd just run it and see. If you have the guest extentions on the vm it only use the ram needed on the host. 

For older or used or refurbished drives. I'd stay away if you have the money. But I have bought 8 2tbs a year ago for backup and there all running with no errors and we're about half price. 

OK then, when I get the server I will happily do a lot of tests about this! I have read about the power consumption of that server and mostly people say it is not going over 250W.

Do you think it is good?

Welp, this is not even close to half price, I will stay away from them then.

12 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

OK then, when I get the server I will happily do a lot of tests about this! I have read about the power consumption of that server and mostly people say it is not going over 250W.

Do you think it is good?

Welp, this is not even close to half price, I will stay away from them then.

Depends on the cpu. Mine with low power cpus and no drives pulls about 110w idle and with 14 drives and a 12 dumms idles at about 200w

• 2 weeks later...
On 5. 4. 2017 at 9:59 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the cpu. Mine with low power cpus and no drives pulls about 110w idle and with 14 drives and a 12 dumms idles at about 200w

I really want to ask you about this:

What do you think? My bullsh*t radar is confused right now...

2 hours ago, Laggger164 said:

I really want to ask you about this:

What do you think? My bullsh*t radar is confused right now...

look at the date of the video, it was his april fools video

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yeah, how did I not check that? xD

• 3 weeks later...
On 14. 4. 2017 at 7:08 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Now I was thinking... I need to wipe the drives on my gaming PC completely, there's just too much useless crap there.

I then need to reinstall the OS and stuff, but I also want to run a Linux distro on that PC.

I know I can use bootcamp, but it would be nice to have Windows 10 and linux running simultaneously.

How much of a bad idea would it be to put ESXi 6.5 on my main, daily used PC? 

31 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Now I was thinking... I need to wipe the drives on my gaming PC completely, there's just too much useless crap there.

I then need to reinstall the OS and stuff, but I also want to run a Linux distro on that PC.

I know I can use bootcamp, but it would be nice to have Windows 10 and linux running simultaneously.

How much of a bad idea would it be to put ESXi 6.5 on my main, daily used PC? 

esxi would be horrible on a desktop, you can't do anything on it locally and need to have anouther computer to control it.

If you want to run vm's on your desktop use ypver-v in windows or kvm on linux.

esxi would be horrible on a desktop, you can't do anything on it locally and need to have anouther computer to control it.

If you want to run vm's on your desktop use ypver-v in windows or kvm on linux.

So Hyper-V. That's on Windows 10 professional, Enterprise and Education from what I know. And there is no way to get it on a Home edition.

So Linux with KVM could virtualize Windows 10? I would be mostly gaming on Windows so I need as much performance as possible.

13 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

So Hyper-V. That's on Windows 10 professional, Enterprise and Education from what I know. And there is no way to get it on a Home edition.

So Linux with KVM could virtualize Windows 10? I would be mostly gaming on Windows so I need as much performance as possible.

then use vitual box in windows to run the vms

Oh well, thanks anyways!

I just wanted to try something cool.

• 1 month later...
On 2. 5. 2017 at 6:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Alright. So I changed some things from what I originally wanted to do.

Firstly, I bought a Dell Poweredge T110 II with 16GB of RAM (all slots used up) pretty nice processor (can't remember what it was), Perc S100 RAID controller with 5 SATA ports, 2 500GB Dell Harddrives at 7200 RPM (still don't know if SAS or SATA, I should look into it) and it is in extremely good condition, it's almost Like new. Also it has a DVD drive, yay.

Right now I have Ubuntu Server installed with OpenSSH and I want to install OpenMediaVault on it.

1TB of storage space does not seem good enough for me, but right now I am testing it rather than setting it up.

I will also install KVM since I need to take an old netbook of ours and virtualize it before it dies completely with all the files and programs on it. I was planning to do that anyway, I will just have to figure out how to do that.

Right now the OS is installed on an old 80GB harddrive which weirdly doesn't have any bad blocks, but I did see some other errors but I had no idea what they meant.

Also I got an APC Back-Ups 1200 Pro with the server. No batteries, but they would most likely be dead anyways. They aren't expensive either.

I installed Ubuntu Server LTS with just a wi-fi dongle. Big mistake. I have no idea how to set a static IP for it, it took me like 2 hours to even connect the damn thing. Next stop: Computer shop to buy a f*cking network switch and USB keyboard and mouse because there are NO F*CKING SPARE KEYBOARDS IN THE ENTIRE HOUSE! Yeah sorry, I was extremely frustrated about that...

On 2. 5. 2017 at 6:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

So now I have a different problem.

I realized it would be very annoying and hard to use OMV as a VM Host, so I uninstalled it, wiped the drives, turned my Perc S100 from RAID to AHCI mode so I can use them independently by the ESXi host.

I downloaded and installed ESXi 5.5 Update 3b directly from DELL's website since I read there are some drivers inside of it that are used for the PowerEdge servers. So why not?

Now I am looking through the vSphere client at my 2 500GB harddrives (originally I had a 80GB one for storage of OMV but turned out it had many bad sectors, so I bought a 16GB flash drive for ESXi) and I have no friggin idea what to do now...

I mean, I want to install OMV... somewhere... (maybe on the flash drive that ESXi is sitting on? I don't know if that is possible...) and also I need to figure out how to get as much storage from those 2 drives as I can while being reliable and/or fast.

Then also, I don't know what file system to use since it is a virtual disk, although I could use a passthrough. I am thinking to just go with EXT4, but BTRFS has protection from data rot, checksums and other things while being well supported on Linux, unlike ZFS.