Need help setting up old audio equipment

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 hours ago, matt_c said:

First of all, my cable box is connected to my TV with HDMI not a coax cable since its high def, and that digital to analog converter needs coax it seems.

You don't touch the cable box at all. The speakers will only plug into the optical on the tv

I'll go ahead and try connecting the stereo speakers to channel A of the receiver, and the sub to channel B as suggested.

Nope, just plug them both into channel a, assuming a powered sub.

From there, what does the receiver connect to?

A optical to rca adapter, buy one. Than then connects the tv and the reciver.

So let me start by saying I know very little about home theater equipment. My parents have some very old but nice quality audio equipment that they want to hook up to a new TV and they asked me to help but I'm just as lost as they are. The setup consists of two stereo speakers, a sub, and a receiver. The two stereo speakers have one RCA red/white cable, while the sub just has four connectors of the kind where you wrap the wire around it. The receiver has some RCA plugs and some "screw in the exposed wire" kind of plugs. Lastly, the TV is a brand new Samsung TV so it has your usual HDMI and component inputs. SO, my question is basically what the road map needs to be of what plugs in where. Also do I have to plug everything in through the cable box as well? Do I need to buy any adapters? I have attached pictures of all the plugs on the equipment so you can see exactly what I'm looking at. (the picture with the empty black and red plugs is the sub. Also, not in the pictures is the cable box which has RGB components, Yellow/White/Red components, and HDMI) THANK YOU in advance for any and all help!

IMG_0507.PNG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

So basically tv optical out > optical to rca (google it, about 30 bucks) > reciver(pick a input and leave it on it) > sub > speakers

59 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So basically tv optical out > optical to rca (google it, about 30 bucks) > reciver(pick a input and leave it on it) > sub > speakers

I didn't see any fiber port on the back of the receiver.  Might be a tough setup.

@matt_cOverall, on the TV I don't see an audio out.  You may have to use the audio out on the device that is connected to the TV via HDMI.  Hopefully, the device has RCA audio out, and either auto-switches to that port, or allows you to select the audio output in a menu option.  If not, you may need to get and HDMI audio breakout adapter or Audio Extractor.  Your Receiver doesn't natively support a separate subwoofer.  However, it probably has an A/B selection on the front.  It should allow you to choose both A & B at the same time.  First, make sure your impedance and resistance values match up for the receiver, or else you might need an amplifier.  You can then try to connect the Speakers to the A channel, and the Subwoofer to the B Channel.  With both channels selected, it should provide a good sound experience.  And at times if the subwoofer is not necessary, you can deselect the B channel and not have it affect the overall sound.  

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

12 hours ago, Doramius said:

I didn't see any fiber port on the back of the receiver.  Might be a tough setup.

@matt_cOverall, on the TV I don't see an audio out.  You may have to use the audio out on the device that is connected to the TV via HDMI.  Hopefully, the device has RCA audio out, and either auto-switches to that port, or allows you to select the audio output in a menu option.  If not, you may need to get and HDMI audio breakout adapter or Audio Extractor.  Your Receiver doesn't natively support a separate subwoofer.  However, it probably has an A/B selection on the front.  It should allow you to choose both A & B at the same time.  First, make sure your impedance and resistance values match up for the receiver, or else you might need an amplifier.  You can then try to connect the Speakers to the A channel, and the Subwoofer to the B Channel.  With both channels selected, it should provide a good sound experience.  And at times if the subwoofer is not necessary, you can deselect the B channel and not have it affect the overall sound.  

@Electronics Wizardy was saying the OP likely needs to purchase an Optical to RCA Composite audio converter. This would be better than the HDMI audio breakout adapter, because it would take all TV audio, not just a single HDMI input.

Using an HDMI breakout adapter, he'd need to buy at least two of them (One for the Amazon Fire stick, and another for whatever is connected to that HDMI cable).

@matt_c, I would suggest the following setup:

1. Digital Audio to RCA Composite adapter - $15

https://www.amazon.com/EAKAI-Digital-Optical-Converter-Licensed/dp/B01H4XC3DC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490459716&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=digital+audio+to+rca+adapter&psc=1

2. Digital Audio Optical TOSLINK Audio cable - $5.50

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B00NH11H38/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490459779&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+optical+audio+cable

3. RCA Composite Stereo Audio Cable - $6

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-2RCA-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B0126CR5XY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490459832&sr=8-4&keywords=rca%2Bstereo%2Bcable&th=1

Total cost: $26.50 USD (taxes and shipping may be extra)

Obviously substitute Amazon.com for another retailer if appropriate (based on your region), and select appropriate cable lengths as needed.

You could probably do it for cheaper via eBay, but for $26.50, I personally wouldn't bother - but that's just me.

Also, you can probably get the TOSLINK Optical Cable and the RCA Stereo Cable for cheaper locally - many dollar stores or Surplus stores carry these for a few bucks each.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thank you everyone for your comments! @Electronics Wizardy @Doramius @dalekphalmThere's still a few things I need cleared up. First of all, my cable box is connected to my TV with HDMI not a coax cable since its high def, and that digital to analog converter needs coax it seems.

As far as the road map, I'll go ahead and try connecting the stereo speakers to channel A of the receiver, and the sub to channel B as suggested. From there, what does the receiver connect to? the cable box? Then from there can I still use the HDMI to run everything to the TV?

I'll also attach pics of the back of my cable box.

Thank you everyone!

IMG_0569[1].JPG

IMG_.jpg

First of all, my cable box is connected to my TV with HDMI not a coax cable since its high def, and that digital to analog converter needs coax it seems.

You don't touch the cable box at all. The speakers will only plug into the optical on the tv

I'll go ahead and try connecting the stereo speakers to channel A of the receiver, and the sub to channel B as suggested.

Nope, just plug them both into channel a, assuming a powered sub.

From there, what does the receiver connect to?

A optical to rca adapter, buy one. Than then connects the tv and the reciver.