With the arrival of the first Ryzens, how much lower are prices likely to drop?

With the arrival of the first Ryzens, how much lower are prices likely to drop?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Potential drop of i7 CPUs?

• 0%
    • 1% - 5%
    • 6% - 10%
    • 11% - 15%
    • 15% - 20%
    • 21%+
  2. 2. Time horizon for i7 price drops?

• Not this generation
    • 1-2 months
    • 3-4 months
    • 5-6 months
    • 7-8 months
    • 9 months or more
  3. 3. Potential drop of i5 CPUs?

• 0%
    • 1% - 5%
    • 6% - 10%
    • 11% - 15%
    • 15% - 20%
    • 21%+
  4. 4. Time horizon for i5 price drops?

• Not this generation
    • 1-2 months
    • 3-4 months
    • 5-6 months
    • 7-8 months
    • 9 months or more

There's been a lot of talk about price drops in response to competition from new Ryzen chips. I'm sure many of you are waiting to pull the trigger on major purchases, in case prices continue to drop. Just how much of a drop are we talking about, and when will we start seeing them?

Intel will just tout higher IPC and gaming performance over Ryzen, and won't cut prices at all IMO.

maybe 5-10%, but no lower.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'd be surprised if Intel touched their prices at all.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

When you say i7, I don't think that's specific enough.  The 6900k (and similar) are in a very different spot than the 7700k

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

When you say i7, I don't think that's specific enough.  The 6900k (and similar) are in a very different spot than the 7700k

Agreed - but I think it's safe to assume he specifically means 7600K and 7700K, since those are apparently the only CPU's that exist on this forum ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - but I think it's safe to assume he specifically means 7600K and 7700K, since those are apparently the only CPU's that exist on this forum ;)

well, I think those probably won't change much if any.  But the higher tier ones need to come down... who's going to pay $1000+ for CPUs that can be matched in their intended workloads for half that?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

well, I think those probably won't change much if any.  But the higher tier ones need to come down... who's going to pay $1000+ for CPUs that can be matched in their intended workloads for half that?

I assume that the 6900K in particular will receive the largest price cuts, though I don't think Intel will match it. I think Intel will still have the 6900K maybe $150-$200 higher.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ryzen was another failure on AMD's part.  What is this.. the 4th or 5th failed design for them?  

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I assume that the 6900K in particular will receive the largest price cuts, though I don't think Intel will match it. I think Intel will still have the 6900K maybe $150-$200 higher.

The problem this then creates is how they transition into the Xeon line.  AMD can basically price RyZen however they want since it's all they're making for now, but Intel has to somehow maintain continuity in pricing from the consumer stuff, up through the enthusiast i7s and into the Xeons.  I think (along with Linus) that this is why the 6950X particularly (though it does also affect the others imo) is so insanely expensive.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The problem this then creates is how they transition into the Xeon line.  AMD can basically price RyZen however they want since it's all they're making for now, but Intel has to somehow maintain continuity in pricing from the consumer stuff, up through the enthusiast i7s and into the Xeons.  I think (along with Linus) that this is why the 6950X particularly (though it does also affect the others imo) is so insanely expensive.

I don't think they're worried about the Xeons. Considering 99% of Xeon sales come from OEM packages from the likes of Dell, IBM, HP, etc, I doubt an X99 price drop would affect Xeon sales in a noticeable way at all.

And with the incoming Server package for Zen, Xeon might see price drops regardless.

6 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Ryzen was another failure on AMD's part.  What is this.. the 4th or 5th failed design for them?  

I wouldn't go that far. Certainly, it's a bit below Intel's current gen at the same clock rate, and so far the overclocking is pretty much shit, but it's still a pretty good value, depending on your needs.

Also, it's still vastly superior to their old Bulldozer arch.

Ryzen's biggest problem is probably maturity. Zen 2 will likely iron out a lot of the problems, and GF 14nm maturity will likely help with OC's.

But as of right now? Ryzen is "good" overall, but not "amazing". In some specific workloads, it's awesome - in others, its a bit disappointing.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think they're worried about the Xeons. Considering 99% of Xeon sales come from OEM packages from the likes of Dell, IBM, HP, etc, I doubt an X99 price drop would affect Xeon sales in a noticeable way at all.

And with the incoming Server package for Zen, Xeon might see price drops regardless.

Spoiler

PerhapsPeterGriffin.jpg

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.  The server stuff should be very interesting though.  I know that's a space where proven reliability and performance is paramount.  I don't think they'll tolerate the various issues the mainstream has witnessed thus far.  It had better come out perfect and stay that way or it's not going to catch on.

Wow, these results are sobering, to say the least :(  I was hoping waiting a few months would help.

Thank you for all your insight!

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - but I think it's safe to assume he specifically means 7600K and 7700K, since those are apparently the only CPU's that exist on this forum ;)

Yes, I should have been more specific. I was hoping to keep things more general, but I forgot about the $1000 i7s...

Shouldn't Intel's feature segmentation help with this? I don't see enterprises buying non-ECC processors anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Evanair said:

Ryzen is far from a faliure. It was just overhyped (like everyting amd does) combined with people missunderstanding what r7 was meant for.

7 hours ago, TotaLInsanity said:

Ryzen is far from a faliure. It was just overhyped (like everyting amd does) combined with people missunderstanding what r7 was meant for.

idk if it was a misunderstanding, I think people just got too hopeful.  Also, the various problems that were exposed at launch and are now slowly getting fixed hurt their scores making it look worse than it actually was

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

idk if it was a misunderstanding, I think people just got too hopeful.  Also, the various problems that were exposed at launch and are now slowly getting fixed hurt their scores making it look worse than it actually was

I see alot of people that thought ryzen was gonna be on par with the i7 7700k in gaming when AMD never claimed Ryzen was gonna be the king of gaming processors. Ryzen was targeted at highend workstation for content creation (where it beat the i7 7700k any day of the week and some times it even beats the i7 6900k) and whatnot which some people just dont seem to get.

1 hour ago, TotaLInsanity said:

I see alot of people that thought ryzen was gonna be on par with the i7 7700k in gaming when AMD never claimed Ryzen was gonna be the king of gaming processors. Ryzen was targeted at highend workstation for content creation (where it beat the i7 7700k any day of the week and some times it even beats the i7 6900k) and whatnot which some people just dont seem to get.

Agreed, just before the launch AMD straight up said that ryzen would be on par with Broadwell E. People also seem to have forgotten that intel’s own skylake/kabylake ICP is 5-10% faster than Broadwell. Once Zen's clock speed was known there shouldn’t of been any doubt that it wouldn’t be the best performer for gamming. What it is, is more cores on a die and sold for less $

Prices aren't going anywhere beyond just the normal random sales, the issue is people MISTOOK these SALES or DEALS from places like MICROCENTER to be that Intel was dropping prices, they weren't and they aren't, they are just prepping the refresh 7740k and 7640k chips that will drop soon to compete with Ryzen better and then the 8th gen Coffee Lake chips will come with even more refinement toward the end of the year.

Crystal ball says:

- i7 prices will be kept for now and save face. Next gen i7 will have lower MSRP than the 7700K at launch. They may release a 6-core mainstream i7, which would mask the reduction in price of the top quad core (since it wouldn't be top mainstream anymore).

- i5 prices will drop earlier, and to a larger extent, than i7s. The IPC difference alone isn't enough to convince people to pay much more to give up SMT and in some cases even 2 physical cores. Gamers with money can go for i7s, but will people without it settle for i5s? I do think they need to be priced more aggressively to survive -if at all. I don't expect price drops to coincide with Ryzen 5 launch, though, but more as a spear point in the run-up to 8th gen launch.

- i3s and Pentiums can't coexist anymore. There's only room for one more tier below i5s, at Pentium prices. The i3-7350K is the modern day FX-9590 :P 

I expect these predictions to be as wrong as the IPC improvement between 7th and 8th generation. If Intel pulls another Bulldozer Kaby Lake, the drop can be even higher than I expect. If the improvement is substantial, there may be no effect at all.