Would you install Windows 10 or 7 if it only came out in floppy versions?

Okay, I calculated Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit is 3,545,472 KB. And 3.5 floppies was a average of 1.44 MB.

That would make you require about 2,463 floppies to install. I know a couple of you guys don't like Windows 10, and love 7, so I got a figure for that as well of the internet, someone said 2084 (I don't know how big the ISO is, so I can't work it out.). Would you install Windows with that many floppies? I would like to try it...

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Okay, I calculated Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit is 3,545,472 KB. And 3.5 floppies was a average of 1.44 MB.

That would make you require about 2,463 floppies to install. I know a couple of you guys don't like Windows 10, and love 7, so I got a figure for that as well of the internet, someone said 2084 (I don't know how big the ISO is, so I can't work it out.). Would you install Windows with that many floppies? I would like to try it...

The cost of manufacturing all those floppies would far exceed the price of Windows.

Also Windows has to be in one, complete image on a bootable volume, whether it be on USB flash drive or optical. You cannot split it up into tiny pieces.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Also Windows has to be in one, complete image on a bootable volume, whether it be on USB flash drive or optical. You cannot split it up into tiny pieces.

Your really taking this serious. of course in real life this could not happen, but use your imagination.

And imagine it cost the same as a disk copy.

:P

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Trust me, installing Windows with floppies is not fun (especially when #1273 turns out to be corrupt).

94GFNGX.jpg

Holy crap, I would be pissed when one is corrupt, all that work, just for one disk to go "The disk you inserted may be corrupted or damage, please contact Microsoft for support.":(

12 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Absolutely not.

I remember installing Windows 95 from floppy it was time consuming and and a most horrible experience.

By the way @Phentos it is entirely possible to do it from floppy, how do you think installing programs from floppy work back then? The OS would be compressed into packages and then compiled by the installer to be installed onto the system.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Absolutely not.

I remember installing Windows 95 from floppy it was time consuming and and a most horrible experience.

By the way @Phentos it is entirely possible to do it from floppy, how do you think installing programs from floppy work back then? The OS would be compressed into packages and then compiled by the installer to be installed onto the system.

How many floppies did your version require? I'm pretty sure the version used for end uses needed 26 floppies. Must have been hell. 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Absolutely not.

Yes, I remember installing win 3.1 from floppies too, I think when win 95 came out I had the choice of cd, but not positive?... it was around 32 discs of floppies for 3.1 IIRC, took about 2-3 hours or possibly even longer to install. I hated floppies at the time even (around 1994), I also had a cd rom, so at least some things moved a little quicker than floppies, but computing back then was torturous in the extreme and had to find something to do while waiting for stuff to install/write etc was an extreme PITA.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I will neither Install them. I do not want to deal will 3,000 flopies in my room just to Install Windows. I rather Install Vista or XP

1 minute ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

I will neither Install them. I do not want to deal will 3,000 flopies in my room just to Install Windows. I rather Install Vista or XP

Vista is a lot different and larger than XP it might be 20-30% smaller than Windows 7 in size.

Just now, M.A.P said:

Vista is a lot different and larger than XP it might be 20-30% smaller than Windows 7 in size.

But to deal with a bunch of floppies in the room, I build a floppy castle instead and get rid of floppy and buy CD

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes, I remember installing win 3.1 from floppies too, I think when win 95 came out I had the choice of cd, but not positive?... it was around 32 discs of floppies for 3.1 IIRC, took about 2-3 hours or possibly even longer to install. I hated floppies at the time even (around 1994), I also had a cd rom, so at least some things moved a little quicker than floppies, but computing back then was torturous in the extreme and had to find something to do while waiting for stuff to install/write etc was an extreme PITA.

Windows 95 came out with a CD-Rom edition that only required one disk. I would like to install Windows 95 from floppies, just to see how hellish it should have been, if i only had a floppy drive in my laptop. Damn, 2-3 hours...

3 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

But to deal with a bunch of floppies in the room, I build a floppy castle instead and get rid of floppy and buy CD

I would rather have done that. Windows XP master race?

2 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

and need to store the system inside that castlexD. Strong protection and good way to hidexD

Just now, Factory OC said:

I would rather have done that. Windows XP master race?

Yep that might be the clear winner right there

1 minute ago, M.A.P said:

and need to store the system inside the castlexD

I gonna store all my gaming hardware in there. Possibly a Floppy Table

Just now, M.A.P said:

and need to store the system inside the castlexD

I would build my house out of it. If someone asked me "Can I lend you disk #1563?", I would be like "Take it from my wall.".

Floppy desk PC build?

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Windows 95 came out with a CD-Rom edition that only required one disk. I would like to install Windows 95 from floppies, just to see how hellish it should have been, if i only had a floppy drive in my laptop. Damn, 2-3 hours...

Yes it was hellish in the extreme... if computing ever went back to those days, I would quit working on them for sure.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Anything since I Have a Bunch

You can just buy another copy of Windows anyway to build more stuff:P.

1 hour ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

And gonna see the whole setup collapse when you take the bottom most FloppyxD

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I would build my house out of it. If someone asked me "Can I lend you disk #1563?", I would be like "Take it from my wall.".

And a part of house will be collapsedxD

Just now, M.A.P said:

And gonna see the whole setup collapse when take the bottom most FloppyxD

Just glue them together:P.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes it was hellish in the extreme... if computing ever went back to those days, I would quit working on them for sure.

Microsoft is doing shady stuff, wouldn't surprise me if they do that. I would rahter get my work done on a Mac then I guess...

2 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

And a part of house will be collapsedxD

It's a small price to pay for my friend.